SaltCritters.com

Greg's 60 gallon NonPhotosynthetic Cube FTS 8/16/17

GregEmmitte

This tank is epic man. Those fish are soo stunning- shame two didn't make it. Are those the black sun coral that LiveAquaria sells? I was looking at buying some sun coral or the look alikes after seeing yours lol.

Oh and Pink sponge? Pics?

2 minutes ago, JoeR said:

This tank is epic man. Those fish are soo stunning- shame two didn't make it. Are those the black sun coral that LiveAquaria sells? I was looking at buying some sun coral or the look alikes after seeing yours lol.

Oh and Pink sponge? Pics?

Thank you! I'm a big supporter of liveaquaria but honestly, all the black sun coral I got from them never opened and died. Who knows why. The ones I have were bought local.

43 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Thank you! I'm a big supporter of liveaquaria but honestly, all the black sun coral I got from them never opened and died. Who knows why. The ones I have were bought local.

That's odd, LiveAquaria is pricey and consequently normally the best of the best. What local stores have rare coral like that though? My LFS are pretty decent I thought but they never have anything that uncommon.

I was looking at some softies today actually on LiveAquaria for a low maintenance display tank at my parents business, but they want $40ish for a toadstool. Idk if that's a good price but they have free shipping on orders over $99 (which is too easy to reach) so i was debating an order... 

got pics of the pink sponge?

• Like 1

Just came across this thread.   First off, your tank is beautiful! Makes me want to set up a nps tank myself! Second, I'm surprised your anthias didn't make it since it seems u feed so heavily. What are your thoughts on that?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jamie1210 said:

Just came across this thread.   First off, your tank is beautiful! Makes me want to set up a nps tank myself! Second, I'm surprised your anthias didn't make it since it seems u feed so heavily. What are your thoughts on that?

Too many in too small a tank. You really need 125 gallons +. First, the least dominant one hid until she starved. Then the second least. I was trying the "cichlid" method but they weren't young enough.

5 hours ago, JoeR said:

That's odd, LiveAquaria is pricey and consequently normally the best of the best. What local stores have rare coral like that though? My LFS are pretty decent I thought but they never have anything that uncommon.

I was looking at some softies today actually on LiveAquaria for a low maintenance display tank at my parents business, but they want $40ish for a toadstool. Idk if that's a good price but they have free shipping on orders over $99 (which is too easy to reach) so i was debating an order... 

got pics of the pink sponge?

A local shop had 1/2" nubs of sinularia for like $20 lol.  $40-50 seems pretty common for toadstools, and Diver's Den yesterday had some gorgeous purple ones with green polyps.  Their $99 free shipping right now is an awesome deal (but you have to order all from the same location to hit the $99 at least once, not $99 between all locations).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

Too many in too small a tank. You really need 125 gallons +. First, the least dominant one hid until she starved. Then the second least. I was trying the "cichlid" method but they weren't young enough.

Please excuse the ignorance but what is the cichlid method? Haha (sorry, was into guppies and plates lol)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jamie1210 said:

Please excuse the ignorance but what is the cichlid method? Haha (sorry, was into guppies and plates lol)

Cichlids are aggressive freshwater fish. Your best bet is to get all the fish you want at once as juveniles and put them all in the tank at the same time. If you do it one at a time they develope territories and kill eachother 

Liveaquaria is one of the best vendors around. I just fragged the sun coral too soon.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

http://www.gulfspecimen.org/purchase-live-marine-specimens/

thier shipping is nothing less less than insanity. However they do have things you don't see often. All of it is Floridian.

They have some cool stuff, but I couldn't find their shipping charges listed anywhere. 

I did see that there is a minimum order $70 and a 15% handling fee added. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

They have some cool stuff, but I couldn't find their shipping charges listed anywhere. 

I did see that there is a minimum order $70 and a 15% handling fee added. 

You call in your order. Once they put it together they email you the invoice with shipping. It's like $130. 

The good thing though, they don't charge you until your animals arrive and are in good health. To be fair, they're not a reef store. They actually go diving for species that's not in their tanks. Most of thier intent is for study and school. When I build my seagrass tank I'm going through them. They've pretty much got year round access to seagrass and the bivalves that live in them. To me, if it's the only place to find what I want immediately then it's worth it.

• Like 2

I love the descriptions on gulf specimen! Definitely going to add them to my contest tank "table of contents" for more info on some of the animals.  Thanks for posting about them!

1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

You call in your order. Once they put it together they email you the invoice with shipping. It's like $130. 

The good thing though, they don't charge you until your animals arrive and are in good health. To be fair, they're not a reef store. They actually go diving for species that's not in their tanks. Most of thier intent is for study and school. When I build my seagrass tank I'm going through them. They've pretty much got year round access to seagrass and the bivalves that live in them. To me, if it's the only place to find what I want immediately then it's worth it.

Thanks for the info. 

I could see using them if they had something rare that I could grow or that was key for a project. 

They're a unique place. 

• Like 2

They're an odd business; their prices for the individual organisms (like $15 for the pink sponge) are great, but why do they charge so much in other ways? I don't understand why it costs them so much to ship. Really cool stuff on their site though.