SaltCritters.com

Greg's 60 gallon NonPhotosynthetic Cube FTS 8/16/17

GregEmmitte

mitten_reef

This tank has fantastic colors! :wub: Great photos too! Can we see more of that deep blue gorg from the above post in focus, please :flower:

I wish I can keep some more NPS (currently have orange flower sponge and a mennella gorg), but I don't think my AIO setup will allow the heavy feeding required for them...:unsure:, not enough room for extra filtration needed. 

• Like 2
GregEmmitte
10 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

This tank has fantastic colors! :wub: Great photos too! Can we see more of that deep blue gorg from the above post in focus, please :flower:

I wish I can keep some more NPS (currently have orange flower sponge and a mennella gorg), but I don't think my AIO setup will allow the heavy feeding required for them...:unsure:, not enough room for extra filtration needed. 

Thank you.   :D Yea filtration and water changes are key. The skimmer is rated for twice the size of my water volume.. and still may be a bit small.

It's actually purple 

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

I dig them, mostly because they're hard tubed and easy to mount. The soft ones you have to bury in the sand

Or tuck in the rocks, and they'll attach themselves like mine did (including Miracle Max who came back from the dead, sort of). :D

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Or tuck in the rocks, and they'll attach themselves like mine did (including Miracle Max who came back from the dead, sort of). :D

I had a few launch thier crowns and grow new ones a few weeks later

13 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

I had a few launch thier crowns and grow new ones a few weeks later

Yeah, this one jumped his tube after the move, started to rebuild in a different spot, then I transferred to the bigger tank and he dropped his crown and after a day or two I couldn't even see his little wormy head...until a few weeks later I noticed his new crown in the back!

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is cool!!

Thank you! We'll see how it goes. And of course to be a total nerd I had to use a Fiji bottle lol

• Like 2
GregEmmitte

Got a few new scleros, sun polyps. Lost the clam ( I moved him and tore his foot, though I felt no resistance. ) I also moved the light back towards the overflow to darken things up a bit. Dropped a ball of chaeto in the overflow and one in the sump. Threw in 4 peppermint shrimp in the refugium in hopes that they'll both eat and reproduce eggs and larvae that will become food for fish and coral.

• Like 6
GregEmmitte

Update:

went off the deep end. Total NPS. I'll have pics tomorrow as I had to move some coral around, and they're not happy with me lol. 

Meanwhile.. coffee anyone?

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
GregEmmitte
28 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

Tank looks great. How are the anthias doing?

The dominant Anthia starved out the other two.. I'll wait until I build a 200G before I get Anthias again.

heres an FTS and two videos from right now.

whatever isn't open is either still new or pissed off lol.

I also moved the kessil back and lower to reduce lighting.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

The dominant Anthia starved out the other two.. I'll wait until I build a 200G before I get Anthias again.

Love this tank.....TOTM yet?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

I am always absolutely blown away by the beauty of this tank every time I see it. 

How did the live phyto doser system work for you?

Interested to see how the Peps in the refugium work out.

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I am always absolutely blown away by the beauty of this tank every time I see it. 

How did the live phyto doser system work for you?

Interested to see how the Peps in the refugium work out.

The peps are just being peps. I got the phyto doser working though I have to blow it out sometimes. As the phyto grows it gets clumpy. I'll have to wind up doing the fridge thing.

1 minute ago, GregEmmitte said:

The peps are just being peps. I got the phyto doser working though I have to blow it out sometimes. As the phyto grows it gets clumpy. I'll have to wind up doing the fridge thing.

Did you notice any differences in the tank after you started dosing the live Phyto?

GregEmmitte
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Did you notice any differences in the tank after you started dosing the live Phyto?

Not so much.. main difference is the water has a greenish tint to it. My biggest reason for doing it was for the scleronephthyas. I had a small one when I had the biocube full of LPS and whatnot. It withered down and almost died. As soon as I started dosing live phyto it started to perk back up and open polyps. That's why I purchased additional scleros. I also rest easy for my flame scallop. And those little blue/green scallops that you get on zoas colonies, they're living as well. They typically die in cleaner tanks. Nitrates are still 40ppm but nitrites are 0 and I assume phosphate is not an issue. I have growth with macros and I use phosgaurd. Also I see evidence of enough calcium with the dendros and sun corals growing new heads and starting to branch.

its really gotten to the point where I only test new salt water before the water change. If I look at the tank and everything looks good I just leave it be. I do however change 12 gallons a week so I know that's helps.

the goal is to have success with dendronephthya. But I really think I'm going to wait on that until I build a 200 gallon cube. I'd like a shoal of 10-12 Anthias and also use ozone. If I'm going to use ozone I want that plummed outside the house.

Carnations grow in murky water so I think the biggest things to control would be phosphates and ammonia. 

• Like 4