Top Shelf Aquatics

Greg's 60 gallon NonPhotosynthetic Cube FTS 8/16/17

GregEmmitte

GregEmmitte

I joined this forum because I had a biocube32 and still have a fluval specV. Few weeks ago my biocube inexplicably cracked along the bend and launched water into the center of the carpet. There was still 5-6" of water in the tank and in the rear chambers. I was able to save most of my LPS, all of my NPS and a few sponges. All of my sand and live rock. I've added new sand and a few new dry rocks to my new setup and am starting to see the expected algae bloom.

new floor.

new cube.

60 gallon 24x24x24

additives: calcium daily, strontium twice a week.

Phosguard, Nitrate sponge.

5 gallon sump with macroalgae running the light 24/7

Phosphates. 0.0/undetectable 

Nitrites: 0.

Nitrates: 20-40 ppm ( typical for my system )

Ph : 7.8-8

Gh: 180

KH: 180

Feeding regiment:

3 cubes of mysis for the fish and sun corals nightly.

1 shot glass of oyster feast and 1 shot glass of live phytoplankton 3 times a day.

10 gallon water changes weekly.

Livestock:

2 Orange Bali Damsels

2 Yellow Chromis

2 Blue Chromis

1 Mandarin Dragonet

1 Blood red cleaner shrimp

9 various snails

3 hermit crabs ( all hitchhikers ).

1 Red tile starfish

1 flame scallop

2 cocoworms 

Various colonies of sun coral, bi colored, yellow, black, pink, branching, etc.

yellow and red finger gorgonians

1 purple and 1 yellow NPS gorgonian

1 NPS yellow gorgonian with red polyps.

2 dendros

1 balano

1 Chili

3 carnations, dendronephthya, scleronephthya.

2 Photosynthetic carnation cousins purple and yellow Stereonephthya

2 yellow ball sponges

1 tiny frag of blue sponge. ( only piece that survived.

In addition to adding more NPS variants my plans ( needs ) are to add more clean up crew and build a constant feeding system. My main forcus is to keep the carnations alive. Once I've got that down I'll actively focus on growth.

Ill add updates from time to time. I've got a new dendro head coming in tomorrow along with 10K pods. Once the pods are settled I'd like to pick up some Anthias.

You can also see I've got a photosynthetic island of sorts working on the side. Not sure which direction I'm going with that.

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

• Like 9

Wow, very glad you were able to save this unique tank.  Good luck with the new one, I look forward to seeing the progress.  What kind of light is over the new tank?

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
57 minutes ago, markalot said:

Wow, very glad you were able to save this unique tank.  Good luck with the new one, I look forward to seeing the progress.  What kind of light is over the new tank?

Thank you. I've had the kessil A360we on both.

56 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

The Carnations look so nice. :wub:

I hope my efforts can keep them!

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
32 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Beautiful!  Love all the NPS.  That's kinda scary that the old tank cracked and sprayed the floor! :huh:

Most def. There was no evidence of any form of cracking or chipping. To my understanding the bend in the glass is its most fragile spot. I still haven't contacted the manufacturer.

the bottom picture is my 20L that I used to save water rocks and coral while I made decisions.

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
3 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

I just trasnfer some LR rubble to my fuge it was teaming with pods. Several different varieties, near as i can tell.

They're typically found in live rock. I have a mandarin so I add more. In my biocube I added 30k. I'll wind up adding 60k. They're not just food but also part of the cleanup crew.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GregEmmitte said:

They're typically found in live rock. I have a mandarin so I add more. In my biocube I added 30k. I'll wind up adding 60k. They're not just food but also part of the cleanup crew.

Yep. I put the rubble there to attract them. They took to it quick, about 2 weeks. My fuge did have some pods, but all the sudden nothing. Gonna get some ulva to put in the fuge, according to Weetie they(pods) love the stuff.

• Like 1
On 6/4/2017 at 10:46 PM, GregEmmitte said:

I joined this forum because I had a biocube32 and still have a fluval specV. Few weeks ago my biocube inexplicably cracked along the bend and launched water into the center of the carpet. There was still 5-6" of water in the tank and in the rear chambers. I was able to save most of my LPS, all of my NPS and a few sponges. All of my sand and live rock. I've added new sand and a few new dry rocks to my new setup and am starting to see the expected algae bloom.

new floor.

new cube.

60 gallon 24x24x24

additives: calcium daily, strontium twice a week.

Phosguard, Nitrate sponge.

5 gallon sump with macroalgae running the light 24/7

Phosphates. 0.0/undetectable 

Nitrites: 0.

Nitrates: 20-40 ppm ( typical for my system )

Ph : 7.8-8

Gh: 180

KH: 180

Feeding regiment:

3 cubes of mysis for the fish and sun corals nightly.

1 shot glass of oyster feast and 1 shot glass of live phytoplankton 3 times a day.

10 gallon water changes weekly.

Livestock:

2 Orange Bali Damsels

2 Yellow Chromis

2 Blue Chromis

1 Mandarin Dragonet

1 Blood red cleaner shrimp

9 various snails

3 hermit crabs ( all hitchhikers ).

1 Red tile starfish

1 flame scallop

2 cocoworms 

Various colonies of sun coral, bi colored, yellow, black, pink, branching, etc.

yellow and red finger gorgonians

1 purple and 1 yellow NPS gorgonian

1 NPS yellow gorgonian with red polyps.

2 dendros

1 balano

1 Chili

3 carnations, dendronephthya, scleronephthya.

2 Photosynthetic carnation cousins purple and yellow Stereonephthya

2 yellow ball sponges

1 tiny frag of blue sponge. ( only piece that survived.

In addition to adding more NPS variants my plans ( needs ) are to add more clean up crew and build a constant feeding system. My main forcus is to keep the carnations alive. Once I've got that down I'll actively focus on growth.

Ill add updates from time to time. I've got a new dendro head coming in tomorrow along with 10K pods. Once the pods are settled I'd like to pick up some Anthias.

You can also see I've got a photosynthetic island of sorts working on the side. Not sure which direction I'm going with that.

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

This is very beautiful and eye-catching. 

On 6/6/2017 at 10:20 PM, GregEmmitte said:

Dinner time! Got a new fat head dendro from Austin Aquafarms today @AustinAquaFarms.com

IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

All the sun coral showing skeleton were rescued from LFS like that.

Oh my goodness!!! :o:wub:

• Like 2
GregEmmitte
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is very beautiful and eye-catching. 

Oh my goodness!!! :o:wub:

:) ty. Here's some of the photosynthetic. I'm thinking of making a small stand alone for them.

IMG_3148.JPG

• Like 5
GregEmmitte

Here's an FTS from earlier today. I've had to reposition a few creatures to maximize health via flow. The suns usually open in the evenings when I feed.

IMG_3159.JPG

• Like 7
GregEmmitte

Picked up a few new animals today.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

Blue maxima, red sponge. Red lace gorg the LFS gave to me to save and an orange with red polyp gorg

IMG_3224.JPG

• Like 8
45 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Picked up a few new animals today.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

Blue maxima, red sponge. Red lace gorg the LFS gave to me to save and an orange with red polyp gorg

IMG_3224.JPG

Love the clam!!! :wub:

You are gathering some nice pieces in there. :)

• Like 1