Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rock flower grow out tank

reefhound

yea, I don't know what the idiot had in it.. but i'm the other idiot in the picture

the ADA is broke down and I have an AIO kit being made for it... will post it

i'm done feeling sorry for myself. the flowers detached, melted several days after getting them into the lagoon. i'm down to 3 that may make it, and 2 that have stayed in the lagoon since day 1.

suck part is, I lost one of the clowns from the pair, a hippo tang, and 3 other nems in the rescued tank. I almost went back to kick the crap out of the idiot that had these.. frigging livid. compassion has a price I guess

Sry to here this I'm having problems with mine aswell

Some asterina stars started eating the smallest nems and my cowry was mowing them over on there rock chunks I'm down to 8 but one of the doubble headed ones survived. They have all been moved to a container that keeps the stars and the cowrie out.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:39 PM, reefhound said:

i'm down to 3 that may make it, and 2 that have stayed in the lagoon since day 1.

How are the 3 doing now? 

2 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Some asterina stars started eating the smallest nems and my cowry was mowing them over on there rock chunks I'm down to 8 but one of the doubble headed ones survived. They have all been moved to a container that keeps the stars and the cowrie out.

Sorry to hear of your troubles too. Glad you got them out of harms way...

I wouldn't have thought that asterina stars would munch on them.

That's terrible!

You have to be careful of what your CUC is made up of in an RFA breeder tank (wow, and now that's a thing ;) ).  Like you, in my case lots of stuff that seemed OK earlier in the tank's life (limpets, cowries, several kinds of asterinas) turned out to be willing & able to consume the smaller baby nems as well once they started to be born.  I must've lost 10's+ in the past few months to a year before culling back the problem members.

Critters that I've found work well in keeping a growout tanks clean -  rock dwelling porcelain crabs (leftover food disposal), conditionally anemone porcelains as well - just make sure you have a few adult anemones present or they WILL pester the smaller juveniles into scooting around to the point of retreating deep into shadow.  "Nano conchs" and any variety of banded trochus snails (algae control).  Red striped hermit crabs (https://reefguide.org/redstripehermit.html) have been excellent as well for general mop-up of both food and pest hair algae... they're very active scavengers yet pretty peaceful compared to the more common blue-leg or red-leg hermits and stay small.  Just have to pick around when your local store gets a large shipment of caribbean hermits to find 'em though, as I don't know of anywhere that lets you specifically order them.

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, LazyFish said:

even after moving them to their own tank, one mistake ends it..

they are difficult to even get past the 3 month stage.. it's crazy!

thing is, the small tank was always "Dead on stable". bad lessons get learned, just part of the deal I guess

That's about when mine started disapearing too...... I'm hoping these seven or actually eight make it to four or five months  but this one keeps scooting into the shadows and has shriveled up so its probl y more like seven now. Some just seem determined to do them selves in.

• 1 year later...