Pod Your Reef

Rock flower grow out tank

reefhound

15 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

I see a few real nice bright ones but Oh wow one on that tray is a totaly obnoxious green lol I wonder what he will turn into!

I wish I had a better camera... the brown ones with gold and blue are the ones I keep an eye on the most.. 

overall, they are starting to change, the secondary colors should be showing up soon.

the male in the tank is all highlighter yellow/green, so I should get some crazy yellow/greens

8 hours ago, reefhound said:

yea, I just just lost one that he sent me.. did everything right, no idea.. but it sucks

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks. Hopefully that will be the only one. 

I had several people say on my thread that they just don't do well being shipped. I think I lost 2-3 from that and then as it turns out I had several fire worms that probably were munching on them because it was a new tank with little nutrients in it. 

If my last 4 make it a few more weeks I'll feel like I've turned a corner and will get several more. I'd like mine to have babies and set up a grow tank like you have. 

They have some RFAs at my LFS but they are so expensive there that I'll probably take the chance ordering them online and having them shipped again. 

I love following your thread and seeing the progress you're making! Great job! 

8 hours ago, reefhound said:

I wish I had a better camera... the brown ones with gold and blue are the ones I keep an eye on the most.. 

overall, they are starting to change, the secondary colors should be showing up soon.

the male in the tank is all highlighter yellow/green, so I should get some crazy yellow/greens

How do you know which one is the male? Because of the spawning? 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, reefhound said:

Nice to know. Ill keep an eye on those! I have 3 that are a nice yellowy greenish gold color I see one looking faintly orange in the middle. There are 3 that are various shades of orange one looks striped & 5 that are various shades of green one with white arms & center & the other two look like they have other colors as well starting to show! mine are various ages from a little less than two months to just a few days I find a few here & there in the tank when they spit them out.

Oddly two of my adults have moved around this morning no idea why they never move....perhaps the crab was bugging them...

3 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

How do you know which one is the male? Because of the spawning? 

exactly.. the one flower I had/have during spawning didn't do anything, so I have no idea about that one. I have 3-4 new ones that are of age/size, so I just feed well and hope for a new batch here soon

37 minutes ago, LazyFish said:

Nice to know. Ill keep an eye on those! I have 3 that are a nice yellowy greenish gold color I see one looking faintly orange in the middle. There are 3 that are various shades of orange one looks striped & 5 that are various shades of green one with white arms & center & the other two look like they have other colors as well starting to show! mine are various ages from a little less than two months to just a few days I find a few here & there in the tank when they spit them out.

Oddly two of my adults have moved around this morning no idea why they never move....perhaps the crab was bugging them...

so, with your experience, do you know what size they reach over time? (growth rates)

I can't find any info on the size they will be at 6 months etc..

I will probably need another tank here soon, or sell quite a few.. but i'm guessing at 6 months they will be the size of a quarter??

• Like 1

Idk this is my first time with the little ones. My largest two are over 1/4 inch now......the growth rates seem to vary. My oldest one is not even the largest. I'm hoping to grow them out to about an inch to & inch and 1/2 before I give them away or trade to the lfs. I probably have room for about 6 more rfa all together in all my tanks....I will probably only keep the super nice ones to improve my stock. A friend has dibs on the rest of the batch any she does not want go to the lfs. I have been feeding them a mix of coral frenzy & reef roids twice a week even the smallest one (pin head size) seem to eat it because they are just starting to grab things I will move them up to crushed brine shrimp bits when the get the hang of using there arms. They seem to be doing fine with these foods. I would probably see better growth with better food but the growth is still steady.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, reefhound said:

so, with your experience, do you know what size they reach over time? (growth rates)

I can't find any info on the size they will be at 6 months etc..

I will probably need another tank here soon, or sell quite a few.. but i'm guessing at 6 months they will be the size of a quarter??

3 hours ago, LazyFish said:

Idk this is my first time with the little ones. My largest two are over 1/4 inch now......the growth rates seem to vary. My oldest one is not even the largest. I'm hoping to grow them out to about an inch to & inch and 1/2 before I give them away or trade to the lfs. I probably have room for about 6 more rfa all together in all my tanks....I will probably only keep the super nice ones to improve my stock. A friend has dibs on the rest of the batch any she does not want go to the lfs. I have been feeding them a mix of coral frenzy & reef roids twice a week even the smallest one (pin head size) seem to eat it because they are just starting to grab things I will move them up to crushed brine shrimp bits when the get the hang of using there arms. They seem to be doing fine with these foods. I would probably see better growth with better food but the growth is still steady.

Let me know when you're ready to sell some!

I'd definitely be interested in getting some more! 

• Like 1

I may have to sell some eventualy. I'm up to 14 last count today. I guess whatever she does not want will go to the lfs but they will get over run with them if they keep on making babies.  I'll have to start selling them eventualy. I never shipped coral before so.....I guess I'll start a thread whenever they are ready to be sold.

• Like 2

just an idea at 9 weeks.. adding the bigger ones to the gravel in the tank. they are too big to hang on the slick acrylic, so in the tank they go..

I am finding small ones at the base of the female now, and am starting to think I have a "new" batch being born

IMG_0813.JPG

• Like 5
15 hours ago, revolution1925 said:

Nice job!! Is it possible to tell me the light schedule of your kessil? 

there it is.. actually about to shorten it a bit

k sch.jpg

• Like 1
revolution1925

Thanxs! I am using almost the same schedule but at 12 hours with good results also. Love the blue spectrum of the kessil! Anyway keep up the good work hope all the nems grow out fast! 

I keep an eye of your work! Thanxs again! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

still at 95-100

been having some algae problems, so I haven't been feeding. pulled all the flowers out and put them in a tray again (PITA)

they are growing, but would do much better with a feeding twice a week.

I added some sand to the tray to try and keep algae from attaching, this is my biggest problem in the tank.. food just gets trapped in the FCC.

I may start feeding outside of the tank at water change time.. see how that works

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, reefhound said:

this is my biggest problem in the tank.. food just gets trapped in the FCC.

Do you have a CUC? 

Can you increase the flow or would that just blow the RFAs around? 

Amazing you have so many! 

I do, various snails and 2 emerald crab.. I just put sand in to try and keep the waste from settling. I did also have 2 sexys and 2 chromis in there.. took them out so I wouldn't need to feed anything

flow can only be increased "so much" or the flowers detach and take a ride.. then get sucked into the filtration setup.. all a fine line to ballance

• Like 1

well... fk.

i lost almost all the flowers. I have probably 10 left and don't know if they will survive.

I went and rescued 2 clowns from a tank and acclimated them in the flower tank until I could set up another tank. I didn't even think about the tank water from the other tank I rescued them from. so.. medicated tank? my best guess. it's simply what happens when you break the rules.

so, with that said, I broke down the tank, and am turning it into an AIO. i'm not giving up, so stay tuned.

• Sad 4

Oh no-that sucks. I'm so sorry. 

Yeah don't give up. What you had going was absolutely amazing. 

Tagging along for whatever you come up with! 

• Like 1