billerbong

Jawfish Nuvo 30L Build

billerbong

I am a FL native and moved to Boston for school so naturally it made sense to start a FL tank :)

I am a big fan of jawfish so decided to get this tank going for them -- initially I was going to do a pair of blue spots but decided against it as I can't keep them alive for more than a year.  Here I go with pearlies!!  I had a make shift lid for a few weeks while I waited for my artfully acrylics lid which just came and is great, I highly recommend them!   I managed to get the feeding door to work for my mangrove.  

IMG_2284_zpsioq21wh5.jpg

Here is the tank with my new lid

IMG_2464_zpsydraiyhv.jpg

Next up is cleaning off the shelves above it and re-arrange the wires.  I have a novo 10 below and would love to connect them but can't decide if I want to risk using an HOB overflow -- thoughts?

More pictures to come.  

billerbong

I was trying to get a mangrove with extensive prop roots -- a few more have started growing which is cool.  My rock came from TBS and Richard is great -- lots of freebies and fun hitchhikers.  A do have some gorilla crabs that I am slowly catching.  I caught a mantis shrimp and put it in my 10G below.  He's happy down there.  Most of the  gorgonians and the pearlies are from KP aquatics.IMG_2469_zpsp9wnrnzh.jpg

neilcostes

Cool idea

WhiteWulfe

Love the concept and idea, and with how it's set up it doesn't seem like the sand overwhelms the space at all, which is really REALLY nice to see!

A couple of curious questions come to mind...

- What do you have in the back chambers? ^_^

- What kind of powerheads are you using for flow?

- It looks like you have two types of sand in there...  Any particular reasons or thoughts behind why the two different types?

Thanks in advance!

billerbong
18 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Love the concept and idea, and with how it's set up it doesn't see like the sand overwhelms the space at all, which is really REALLY nice to see!

A couple of curious questions come to mind...

- What do you have in the back chambers? ^_^

- What kind of powerheads are you using for flow?

- It looks like you have two types of sand in there...  Any particular reasons or thoughts behind why the two different types?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much!!  No great reason for the sand  -- I order "the package" from tampa bay saltwater after I had set things up with my sand/rock from another tank.  I have since added some rubble rock to add to the variety.  So at the moment I have special grade reef sand, gulf of mexico (TBS) sand, and rubble.  I'm hoping with the jawfish burrows it'll start mixing and get rid of the 90's sand art effect :)

I have two in-tank media racks with chemipure elite, filter floss, and and purigen.  I didn't bother with a skimmer or media reactor here as I'm sticking to easy low maintenance corals.  

For flow I have one Jabao RW-4.. two would probably be better.  Perhaps I'll add another soon on the other side.

I'll add more pictures soon!!

billerbong

Its definitely time to clean the glass but here are some critter photos!

IMG_4201_zpsbrqskdb1.jpg

Two of the jawfish -- the other two are in the back and I can't get photos back there 

IMG_6568_zps8zpahse0.jpg

Almost full tank shot(s)

IMG_1328_zps1thqmb1j.jpg

IMG_5249_zpsizzkvgtx.jpg

Prop Root Growth!

IMG_4859_zpsbs0yxrat.jpg

• Like 1

billerbong

I found this in my fuge -- any ideas!?  Good or bad!?  Its ~1cm in diameter 

To give some help -- I have a bunch of liverock from tampa bay saltwater in there, I would imagine it hitchhiked in.

IMG_4090_zps0jhhe7ci.jpgIMG_3581_zpsuarmohjv.jpg

WhiteWulfe
8 hours ago, billerbong said:

Thanks so much!!  No great reason for the sand  -- I order "the package" from tampa bay saltwater after I had set things up with my sand/rock from another tank.  I have since added some rubble rock to add to the variety.  So at the moment I have special grade reef sand, gulf of mexico (TBS) sand, and rubble.  I'm hoping with the jawfish burrows it'll start mixing and get rid of the 90's sand art effect :)

I have two in-tank media racks with chemipure elite, filter floss, and and purigen.  I didn't bother with a skimmer or media reactor here as I'm sticking to easy low maintenance corals.  

For flow I have one Jabao RW-4.. two would probably be better.  Perhaps I'll add another soon on the other side.

I'll add more pictures soon!!

Ahhhh, TBS' "The Package".  Sadly up here in Canada it can be difficult to source quality live rock, but Tampa Bay Saltwater sure seems to do a really good job with their packages.  Kind of wish we had someone like them up here, but such is life ^_^

With the sand, it's an interesting look and I can definitely understand why one would want it mixed...  I'm one of those "crazy" ones that's considering mixing three different types of sand so that the jawfish I want in my tank will have a wide assortment of grains to work with.  I'm rather glad you posted your tank and it being jawfish focused because I really do like the dimensions of the Fusion 30L, but originally took it out of my plans because i was worried that the 3-4" of sand required for a jawfish to build their burrow would overwhelm the look of things, as was my hubby... Thankfully I'm not so worried at all now, as yours has a rather lovely look to it ^_^

billerbong
On June 13, 2017 at 0:11 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

Ahhhh, TBS' "The Package".  Sadly up here in Canada it can be difficult to source quality live rock, but Tampa Bay Saltwater sure seems to do a really good job with their packages.  Kind of wish we had someone like them up here, but such is life ^_^

With the sand, it's an interesting look and I can definitely understand why one would want it mixed...  I'm one of those "crazy" ones that's considering mixing three different types of sand so that the jawfish I want in my tank will have a wide assortment of grains to work with.  I'm rather glad you posted your tank and it being jawfish focused because I really do like the dimensions of the Fusion 30L, but originally took it out of my plans because i was worried that the 3-4" of sand required for a jawfish to build their burrow would overwhelm the look of things, as was my hubby... Thankfully I'm not so worried at all now, as yours has a rather lovely look to it ^_^

Thanks!!  Yes, TBS and KP aquatics are both pretty great for live rock.  Maybe KP ships to Canada?  I would check they are fantastic!

There was another jawfish build with 6 or so pearlies here or reef central that was a great thread-- I wish I could remember the details but it was pretty helpful during my set up.  I was worried as well as the 30L is one of the more shallow AIO tanks out there but it has worked well.  I would really like to slope my sand more and build it higher on the mangrove side and have less on the rock side but I can't figure a great way to achieve this -- ideas!????

What types of jawfish are you going to have?

• Like 1

billerbong

I had one yellow-head from my old tank and added three more juveniles from KP aquatics about a month ago and thus far no fighting :)

They pretty much stick together sometimes, three in one burrow.  The burrow inevitably collapses and this goes on..fun to watch!

IMG_2546_zpsarvg8j9i.jpg

• Like 1

billerbong

They are starting to split up and appear to be more comfortable!  Two are still together in a corner of the tank but the largest of the bunch just set up shop in the roots of my mangrove, awesome!

IMG_2552_zpsb35ygmnr.jpg

These two stick together-- I love being able to see the entire burrow

IMG_2555_zpsyrlh8wmq.jpg

and the shy one in the very back corner

IMG_2556_zpswfir6src.jpg

• Like 1

WhiteWulfe
16 hours ago, billerbong said:

Thanks!!  Yes, TBS and KP aquatics are both pretty great for live rock.  Maybe KP ships to Canada?  I would check they are fantastic!

There was another jawfish build with 6 or so pearlies here or reef central that was a great thread-- I wish I could remember the details but it was pretty helpful during my set up.  I was worried as well as the 30L is one of the more shallow AIO tanks out there but it has worked well.  I would really like to slope my sand more and build it higher on the mangrove side and have less on the rock side but I can't figure a great way to achieve this -- ideas!????

What types of jawfish are you going to have?

Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly both of them used to ship to Canada, but now the export and import laws are noticeably stricter, and it can take months alongside several hundred dollars per permit to do such...  So they've stopped doing such.  TBS has a sentence about it in their shipping section.  One of my favourite artisan shaving brush makers (Wolf Whiskers) won't export any of his badger hair brushes because it's a $250 USD fee for the permit... Thankfully I want the black wolf synthetic knot instead ^_^

For shipping to Canada, I might give both of them a shout and see what kind of costs the permits would have, but I'm more than willing to go with a mixture of Marco and Real Reef if need be.  I'd have to figure out a way of making it to the airport to pick up such a package - joys of not owning a personal vehicle ^_^;;

Sadly no real tips come to mind for aquascaping, as in my freshwater past I pretty much kept to flat and boring for my substrate, using driftwood and/or plants to add...  Biggest thing that would come to mind for me though is to try not to disturb their burrows - or if you're going to, naturally do such when they aren't in them ^_^;;;

As for what type of jawfish, while I love the look of the spotted blue dot, it's the yellow head jawfish I'm looking at due to lower cost and easier acquisition.  Oh, and higher temperature compatibility.  Living room is usually anywhere between 22-25C (72-77F) year round, and the blue dots tend to prefer and tolerate their water being cooler.  I'd rather avoid the usage of a chiller.  Besides, I've seen the yellow heads, and they seem to be full of personality while being rather beautiful so that pretty much settles such for me ^_^

16 hours ago, billerbong said:

I had one yellow-head from my old tank and added three more juveniles from KP aquatics about a month ago and thus far no fighting :)

They pretty much stick together sometimes, three in one burrow.  The burrow inevitably collapses and this goes on..fun to watch!

IMG_2546_zpsarvg8j9i.jpg

35 minutes ago, billerbong said:

They are starting to split up and appear to be more comfortable!  Two are still together in a corner of the tank but the largest of the bunch just set up shop in the roots of my mangrove, awesome!

IMG_2552_zpsb35ygmnr.jpg

These two stick together-- I love being able to see the entire burrow

IMG_2555_zpsyrlh8wmq.jpg

The one that set up over by the Mangroves sure has a decent sized hole going, while the Clownfish's expression seems to be all "what on earth is that?!?!"

• Like 1

billerbong

My gorgonian is looking happy!IMG_2726_zps46ecjbny.jpg

and my fugue mystery has been solved -- three baby urchins.

IMG_2728_zpsgc23uaua.jpg

On June 15, 2017 at 10:33 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

Interestingly enough, if I remember correctly both of them used to ship to Canada, but now the export and import laws are noticeably stricter, and it can take months alongside several hundred dollars per permit to do such...  So they've stopped doing such.  TBS has a sentence about it in their shipping section.  One of my favourite artisan shaving brush makers (Wolf Whiskers) won't export any of his badger hair brushes because it's a $250 USD fee for the permit... Thankfully I want the black wolf synthetic knot instead ^_^

For shipping to Canada, I might give both of them a shout and see what kind of costs the permits would have, but I'm more than willing to go with a mixture of Marco and Real Reef if need be.  I'd have to figure out a way of making it to the airport to pick up such a package - joys of not owning a personal vehicle ^_^;;

Sadly no real tips come to mind for aquascaping, as in my freshwater past I pretty much kept to flat and boring for my substrate, using driftwood and/or plants to add...  Biggest thing that would come to mind for me though is to try not to disturb their burrows - or if you're going to, naturally do such when they aren't in them ^_^;;;

As for what type of jawfish, while I love the look of the spotted blue dot, it's the yellow head jawfish I'm looking at due to lower cost and easier acquisition.  Oh, and higher temperature compatibility.  Living room is usually anywhere between 22-25C (72-77F) year round, and the blue dots tend to prefer and tolerate their water being cooler.  I'd rather avoid the usage of a chiller.  Besides, I've seen the yellow heads, and they seem to be full of personality while being rather beautiful so that pretty much settles such for me ^_^

The one that set up over by the Mangroves sure has a decent sized hole going, while the Clownfish's expression seems to be all "what on earth is that?!?!"

I would definitely recommend yellow heads.   I LOVE BSJF but after having nearly 6 or even 7 die over the last few years I have accepted they are not of me -- really cool fish though!  And you can get several yellow heads at once which is fun to watch, that probably wouldn't be possible with bluespots unless its a really big tank.

WhiteWulfe

So!  How's the tank doing? ^_^