Coral Vue Hydros

5.5g of Fun new fts 4/25/18

JBM

Some good news. 

Upgrade time, we'll sort of. I have a tendency of complicating things.  In light of petco's $1 per gallon. I'm adding a 10g sump/ refugium to my system.  The sump will be a 10g tank, with a 5-6 gallon refugium section. Along with a 2-3 gallon return section. Transporting water to the sump will be handled by a pf-nano. Return duties will be a ehiem 1250. 

I will also be making a manifold to allow eventual addition of two reactors. Recirculating  some of the flow back to the refugium. 

Someone is kindly giving me a scwd. So I will be implementing dual spray bars on either side of the tank

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JBM said:

Some good news. 

Upgrade time, we'll sort of. I have a tendency of complicating things.  In light of petco's $1 per gallon. I'm adding a 10g sump/ refugium to my system.  The sump will be a 10g tank, with a 5-6 gallon refugium section. Along with a 2-3 gallon return section. Transporting water to the sump will be handled by a pf-nano. Return duties will be a ehiem 1250. 

I will also be making a manifold to allow eventual addition of two reactors. Recirculating  some of the flow back to the refugium. 

Someone is kindly giving me a scwd. So I will be implementing dual spray bars on either side of the tank

Wow, that all sounds very nice!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

$0.25/lb for base rock?  Wow!  Did you find someone doing a take down or something?   I've scored some decent deals in the past.  Took me a while though.  I wanted some more pukani without having to take the time to cure it.  Ordered some "pukani" from a relatively well regarded N-R member and it ended up being reef saver <_<

Eventually found a local that put up a pic of the rock he was selling and it looked great.  The guy had tons so I asked what $25 would get me and he gave me more than what I needed. 

Excited to see the 60 cube set up!  What are the plans for that?  

11 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's a happy looking clown :)

Indeed she is.  She eats very well. Even by human standards.  Even by human standards.   Clams muscles lobster salmon shrimp. Pretty much whenever we make fish at home she gets a piece. I do have  I do have pellets, which she does eat. But not often. 

10 hours ago, ajmckay said:

$0.25/lb for base rock?  Wow!  Did you find someone doing a take down or something?   I've scored some decent deals in the past.  Took me a while though.  I wanted some more pukani without having to take the time to cure it.  Ordered some "pukani" from a relatively well regarded N-R member and it ended up being reef saver <_<

Eventually found a local that put up a pic of the rock he was selling and it looked great.  The guy had tons so I asked what $25 would get me and he gave me more than what I needed. 

Excited to see the 60 cube set up!  What are the plans for that?  

Story behind the Base rock is. That yes, it was from a teardown but the tear down began four years ago. When hurricane sandy hit.  The guy lost everything. The tank sat stagnant for 2 years. He sold most of the equipment. Tossed the rock in a bin & forgot about it.  

I filled those two huge styrofoam bins. Asked how much. Can't complain for $30. When I got home, I filled 1 5g bucket it weighed 36 pounds. I could easily fill 4 more.  What ever I don't use will be donated to a newbie that needs help. 

As far as the Cube goes.  I have alot of planning and rear kissing to do. Just a bunch of jumbled thoughts right now. No solid plans as of yet

• Like 1

Those of you that would like to know, current readings as of 4/13/2018

temp 78.14

sg 1.026

ph 8.2

alk 9

nh3  0

no2  0

no3  0

po4  0.1

calcium 430

yes, i finally splurged and bought a test kit and some frags. gsp, acan, zoas, a mushroom (possibly a ric)... i wont be home for lights on till monday. Gives everything time to be happy aswell... pictures then

• Like 1

Thanks @vlangel I try to keep everything happy. Except myself. 

I have have one of those jobs that allow me massive amounts of "down time" so I brought the cube with me to work. So I could paint the back and water test it. Make new gaskets for the bulkheads (yes I can make any size round gaskets in any thickness, in neoprene or cork)

the cube failed the water test in about 30 seconds flat. 

Boss as man is gonna take it for a "project". 

So, I'm back to 'sump-ing' the 5g. 

IMG_1967.JPG

I may eventually down the line Add a protein skimmer.  However currently I just plan on running a giant fuge.   I mean it is 5 gallon of fuge

I'm not sure why, but none of the macros in my tank have thrived. Not even the caulerpa, really. 

Either way, your tank is shaping up great!

16 minutes ago, Lorekeeper said:

I'm not sure why, but none of the macros in my tank have thrived. Not even the caulerpa, really. 

Thanks.  2nd week of May the tank is going to receive a reboot of sorts. I will be adding sand, painting the back black,  building a stand, and adding the sump I just built.  All the chaeto and half the dragons breath will go in the sump. 

Down the line I'll be adding a reactor and a chiller. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Same here. I can grow just about any kind of coral, but macros die within a month or two in my tanks. I think it may come down to nutrient levels.

Looking great, JBM! Love the lighting on this tank. Really makes everything pop!

6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Same here. I can grow just about any kind of coral, but macros die within a month or two in my tanks. I think it may come down to nutrient levels.

Maybe, although there's not been any shortness of NO3 or Phosphate in my tank, as I'm pushing stocking with even just a small damsel (IMO).

In any case, I'll eventually have a tank that I'll really put towards macros. Until then, I'll just stick with the hard-to-kill stuff.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Lorekeeper said:

Looking great, JBM! Love the lighting on this tank. Really makes everything pop!

Thanks, and to think this started life as a hand me down freebie tank, with somebodies trash rubble rock. Still rocking the ABI 12w par38 bulb.... ive been looking for a upgrade though.