Pod Your Reef

Nanobox or Ecotech Radion

XxMalaboo

Well your space for a sump is limited so you wouldn't gain enough water volume to be worth much. I would agree to charge the entire tank if you are not happy with it or at least change the stand. If that stand is particle board then I would definitly not add a sump to that small space as particle board swells and weakens from moisture.

if you decide to stick with it....i would do some cosmetic changes for sure. Drill a hole in the back of the stand and run the wires through into an ATO inside the stand. IT looks like you have everything juist hanging outside.

where did you get the AIO box? It should not be doing that. Does it work correctly without the floss? Is the return pump perhaps oversized for the number of teeth in the overflow?

as far as cleaning the chambers goes...I mostly just do it once a month but I just siphon the water out. I can't imagine why it would take an hour though?

Five.five-six

I'd turn the flow up on the vortech, at least till it starts moving sand around.  SPS require a lot of flow, I'm running a 6055 just about maxed in my biocube 29.  It's one of the reasons so many of the sucsessfull SPS growers go bare bottom.   

Just saw this pop up. Honestly the light is a little under powered for a tank this size. LPS and all should be fine and easy SPS placed in certain spots. 

A few things it sounds like you really need to nail down. ALK of 12 is VERY high this day and age. Get this down to 8-9 and things will really be happy. 

Check my thread out on my personal tank. There is no snake oil. I do not "juice" my photos. It is all LED. I simply keep a maintained tank and consistency. Do not be afraid of flow. I have three pumps and two are on 100%. 

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/380018-nanobox-red-sea-170-new-start/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-5554625

Here to help and drop me a line if you have questions. 

-Dave

I can't say anything about your lighting. In the pic it looks like good spread but it's a pic from a distance.

Maybe it's your schedule or percentages?

I use an Ai Prime on my tank and have no issues with sps.

All the tanks I've seen in person that look amazing have Radion. 

T5 would be my next choice.

Sorry, personally don't like the colour of corals under MH or the heat that comes with it.

Another thing is your water and flow.

Sps  like flow and water stability. 

You have not mentioned your parameters and how stable they are. Are you monitoring for fluctuations? Do you dose?

Upgrading the lights may have no impact on your tank because

It could be flow

Could be lighting setting (it takes more than a month for corals to acclimate to a new setting)

Could be water stability

Not all sps are fast growing, sometimes our expectations are too high.

I have a stylo in my tank that wasn't growing for a good yr. I changed nothing major really besides flow direction and salt.

It's now growing. 

For cleaning the chambers-use a baby bottle brush, scrub, then siphon out. It shouldn't take hours. 10-15mins.

As a staunch anti radion advocate I would either recommend the nanobox or mount a reefbrite metal halide hybrid with the reefbrite acrylic arms.  20k metal halide with reefbrite xho's just looks sooo nice.

To be honest there are so many led options other than radions that look better (aesthetically).  The ghl mitras is also a beast of a light.