inTank Media Baskets

Nanobox or Ecotech Radion

XxMalaboo

Hello NR!

I'm considering buying a new LED Fixture for my 22g long tank.   I already have a mini tide from my old tank, which I really like the way the light looks.  Some details about my tank: 6 Months old, I have no fish,  doing bi-weekly water changes (red sea pro salt), bi-weekly reef energy A&B, reef roids once a week.

However here are some things I dislike about the fixture:

I found little growth using the fixture after a year with my old tank.  I've also done some par tests, and found the par to be pretty low with the settings blasted at high intensity.  With only 12 inches deep - was getting only 80 par right under the fixture.  Since my tank is primarily SPS, I was curious about the ecotech Radion 30 pro.  I feel like the spread / par difference would be a vast improvement over the nanobox, however I feel like the nanobox light rendition looks somewhat better to me.  The nanobox definitely has a discoball effect, but I've never had another LED fixture to compare it against - as I'm sure other fixtures might be worse.  However, youtube videos of the Radion show the light as too much "white" and "bright look"

Before anyone starts, I know there could be many reasons why my corals don't grow quickly, however - if we just factor in the LEDs for this conversation - which is the better fixture.

So the question is this:  Nanobox quad / duo,  or Ecotech Radion xr30w Pro.   What will be better for a smaller tank? 

Anyone had both? Which one did you like better for SPS?  As well as the actual "look" of the tank.  

Current Set-up.

https://youtu.be/X180cCvRcTA

12324.thumb.jpg.4c0719f9a963a9bd4905dd74a65875d8.jpg

Nanobox ATI retro. Problem solved. I had 2 Radions and switched to a T5 ATI. About 4 months ago now I added 6 NB Arrays to my ATI and LOVE it. It is the perfect light now. My SPS are growing like crazy. It is great.

• Like 1

Nanobox duo and put a diffuser over the leds if you are worried about disco. you should get plenty of par for a 20L.

FWIW I've had a nanbox mini on a 10g - great colour and good growth

a Pacsun Pandora on a 120g -best light I've owned regarding growth and colour. programming was a bit painful.

and radions on a 60g - good growth and colour but the nanobox was better.

5 hours ago, XxMalaboo said:

For my apartment, I won't be allowed to mount any fixture on the ceiling.  So I'm limited to a LED mounted glass fixture.  

You could always mount a bookshelf to the wall and hang the light under the shelf.

The Mini is far to small for this tank. The Duo would be a better fit for sure. Regardless both fixtures would be great. No matter what you have you will have SOME color shadowing. Depending on the surface agitation, light height, etc will all effect this. 

This forum is great for both fixtures. You will find countless threads of both units growing SPS. In my opinion it really comes down to your parameters, flow, placement. 

Hope this helps! 

-Dave

• 2 months later...

Radion.

Top led lighting. It's the Ferrari of light fixtures.

If I had had the money, Radion would have been my choice 

They also have on their website lighting schedules for specific setups.

I can not mount things to the ceiling either but have a nanobox retro over a 22g Long atm. I think a hybrid is just really the best of worlds. 

I have used pipebenders to make hangers previously but the last time around I went with a iQuatics Hangfing kit. I had to get it sent from Europe but it is adjustable and made of stainless steel.

Not my tank but here is a photo of one:

IMG_9880.jpg

IMG_9887.jpg

https://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/aquarium-light-mounting-hanging-suspension-system-1200mm.html

Hey there!

Sorry I do not.  Happy to share my journey though.  

I really wish I knew how to create a sump, but i'm not a DIY guy... too afraid to do it, and I don't understand plumbing.

I would like to remove the custom AIO, and place a sump - but there doesn't seem to be any cube sumps out there that would fit the IM 30L stand.

I just want to say that I like my nanobox mini a lot, it's just I don't see any growth or color.  I feel like it's my lights sometimes - who knows.  I've tried changing my LED spectrums - but don't seem to make any progress - (I try to keep myself to one spectrum or intensity change a month)

I just bought a reef glass skimmer - and wondering if will do anything for me.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you are curious about anything else.

Tank has been up for about 8 months.  Some corals are over a year old from my old tank.

Tank.thumb.jpg.0bab9b779c564fd0a8e802d79cd30417.jpg

Five.five-six

SPS require 3 things + stability to thrive.  Lighting, flow and water quality.  How high do you have your vortech set?  What are your ALK and CA and Mg readings?

Alk is high at around 12, I use red sea pro - thinking about switching to the regular one.  Was also thinking about purchasing a dos.  CA is usually around 420 - 450 consistently, and mag is around 1350. 

Weekly water changes.

I have my vortech at two clicks from the bottom.  I feel like I have two much flow in my tank from the return pump. Which is why I have it so low.  I could potentially kick up my vortech.  See what happens to my corals.

Maybe try fritz or maybe try the regular red sea salt mix.

I really think I may just need more spread with lighting.  Those illumagic ones look great!  (Looks better than Radion or nanobox.)

Gotcha. You  need more light brotha man. Honestly i would do a hybrid fixture 2 t5's and 2 clusters. I bet you that will make everything much more happier

ummm I have been in this hobby about 4 years total And I have spent endless thousands in the hobby. In my experience METAL HALIDE AND T5 wins me over everytime. But the next closest thing is led/t5 combo. The kessils are fantastic but I always had really bad shadowing but that's mainly all the led fixtures I have tried.  I think for the price of the ap700 you could do a hybrid fixture and be nuch happier.

burtbollinger

for a clean look, I'd steer towards a Nanobox Duo with your setup.  I love mine, but I'm running an LPS dominant tank and I do see where shading is a thing with my few easy SPS I have up top...

with you running an SPS tank...basically the poster above has a good point about t5s...re: shadowing.  If money is no thing, I'd find a badass t5/LED hybrid...probably that Giesmann Aurora at 24"...its clean looking, built nice

or...a Nanobox Quad Wide.

I'm leaning toward a nanobox as well.  $800 is painful.  However, Wireless control is king.   Really wish I could see these lights in person. (Kessil, Radion, etc)

Sucks this hobby so expensive.

40 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

for a clean look, I'd steer towards a Nanobox Duo with your setup.  I love mine, but I'm running an LPS dominant tank and I do see where shading is a thing with my few easy SPS I have up top...

with you running an SPS tank...basically the poster above has a good point about t5s...re: shadowing.  If money is no thing, I'd find a badass t5/LED hybrid...probably that Giesmann Aurora at 24"...its clean looking, built nice

or...a Nanobox Quad Wide.

How has your growth been with your duo?

Ever measure the Par?

@XxMalaboo What is it you dislike about the AIO? I have ran sumps and AIO's both, many different ones and find them both to be effective. I wouldn't want a large tank with an AIO but it certainly does not hinder a nano.

I set up a 22g AIO recently and have all the parts to drill it for a sump or turn it into an AIO and went with an AIO this time around. I mostly just did it because its easy to get it to run quiet and I don't have a sump I have to clean too :P

I do not think you will get much benefit out of a sump if the area is really small. If I was going to have a sump, it would be so I could have a powerful in-sump skimmer but it doesn't sound like you would have room.

I have never owned Radion but I feel if you want to drop $800 then you should just go with a hybrid whether it be led +t5 or metal halide + t5. 

• Thanks 1

HYBRID FTW

You just said you are not having any growth or good coloring at this very moment. metal halide and t5's have been the staple of the reefing coommunity for longer than i have been born. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

@XxMalaboo What is it you dislike about the AIO? I have ran sumps and AIO's both, many different ones and find them both to be effective. I wouldn't want a large tank with an AIO but it certainly does not hinder a nano.

I set up a 22g AIO recently and have all the parts to drill it for a sump or turn it into an AIO and went with an AIO this time around. I mostly just did it because its easy to get it to run quiet and I don't have a sump I have to clean too :P

I do not think you will get much benefit out of a sump if the area is really small. If I was going to have a sump, it would be so I could have a powerful in-sump skimmer but it doesn't sound like you would have room.

I have never owned Radion but I feel if you want to drop $800 then you should just go with a hybrid whether it be led +t5 or metal halide + t5. 

Gotcha, you see - I never owned a real sump before, so I wouldnt know about issues with noise.  However, I do want more water volume for potentially more fish.

Personally I just hate the way the AIO looks.  I want the full rimless look - without this black box compartment of wires popping out.  

Also with my AIO, I have flow issues in the chambers.  The filter floss I have I think blocks the water flow.  In my return pump chamber - it's pushing out more water than it's taking in.  So I don't know if the flow is too much, or too little.  Oh and cleaning it takes ####ing hours - because draining that compartment - absolute nightmare. (small space)