SaltCritters.com

My journey to serenity

Minmay

Nixperience

I found my royal gramma on the floor a month ago after I moved all my liverock from quarantine to new tank. He had nowhere to hide and must've got spooked out of the tank. He rarely comes out of the caves now. 

2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

I found my royal gramma on the floor a month ago after I moved all my liverock from quarantine to new tank. He had nowhere to hide and must've got spooked out of the tank. He rarely comes out of the caves now. 

Ooo noooo...poor thing. At least u found him in time and put him back in tank. 

4 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe Mr. Miyagi threatened to kick his butt and he was swimming scared! :lol:

Haha maybe so cuz he opens his mouth pretty wide. Kinda looks scary when he does lol

1 minute ago, TheBig053 said:

Mr Miyagi Nose Honk.jpg

Omg I so love this movie!! Mr. Miyagi is the Sh*t! 

• Like 2

So, I've been reading about nano reef roids. The experiences that people have with it and alot of people rave about how well it helps their corals grow and the coloration. I've read that some people squirt it on their zoas too and it does amazing job but I've also read and also watch youtube video that Zoas dont need to be fed and it doesnt seem to do any good. I bought nano reef roids yesterday. I'm just gonna try it and see what happens. I know for sure my lps and shrooms love it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Minmay said:

So, I've been reading about nano reef roids. The experiences that people have with it and alot of people rave about how well it helps their corals grow and the coloration. I've read that some people squirt it on their zoas too and it does amazing job but I've also read and also watch youtube video that Zoas dont need to be fed and it doesnt seem to do any good. I bought nano reef roids yesterday. I'm just gonna try it and see what happens. I know for sure my lps and shrooms love it.

FWIW I have some zoas that will chow down on mysis lol...sometimes bigger pieces than intended!  Have seen them take a whole small one before.  Must have done something cuz they started to pop out a baby and I've only had them a couple weeks!

I think the general consensus these days is that corals in general do better with feeding, though some don't seem to show any feeding response (like the micro zoas I've got).  I don't have reef roids yet but I hear very good things. :)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

FWIW I have some zoas that will chow down on mysis lol...sometimes bigger pieces than intended!  Have seen them take a whole small one before.  Must have done something cuz they started to pop out a baby and I've only had them a couple weeks!

I think the general consensus these days is that corals in general do better with feeding, though some don't seem to show any feeding response (like the micro zoas I've got).  I don't have reef roids yet but I hear very good things. :)

Omg! You have to try reef roids. I fed fishes/shrimps first. Then I spot fed the corals. I left to run errands for several hours and just got home this afternoon. I already see a difference in coloration/growth. Everything seems more bright and larger. Puffy like its full. This stuff is awesome. Worth the $16

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Omg! You have to try reef roids. I feed fishes/shrimps first. Then the corals. I left to run errands for several hours and just got home this afternoon. I already see a difference in coloration/growth. Everything seems more bright and larger. Puffy like its full. This stuff is awesome. Worth the $16

Awesome!  They're on my list of things to get in the near future...just had to order a backup air pump and batteries though, since we've had two power outages in a week! :wacko:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Awesome!  They're on my list of things to get in the near future...just had to order a backup air pump and batteries though, since we've had two power outages in a week! :wacko:

Yikes! I need to get a backup too...generators are hella expensive tho

Just now, Minmay said:

Yikes! I need to get a backup too...generators are hella expensive tho

lol yeah that's why I went for an air pump.  No way could I afford a generator right now!

• Like 1
Nixperience

I've got a generator that takes propane grill tanks. So much easier. I also have ecotech battery backup for one powerhead and I have a battery powered air pump. I'm prepared. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I've got a generator that takes propane grill tanks. So much easier. I also have ecotech battery backup for one powerhead and I have a battery powered air pump. I'm prepared. 

Dayum, you're hardcore!!! Awesome!

• Like 1

I've had Mr. Miyagi and Yoshi for a week now and I've noticed for the past couple of days that Mr. Miyagi likes to chill outside his cave. Like I can see his whole body. Which is great because I would like to see what I bought. I've read that they are really shy though and normally will be unseen for weeks or months. He's not planning an escape is he?  Lol. @Mkbarton since you've had Yasha before did yours feel that comfortable?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Minmay said:

I've had Mr. Miyagi and Yoshi for a week now and I've noticed for the past couple of days that Mr. Miyagi likes to chill outside his cave. Like I can see his whole body. Which is great because I would like to see what I bought. I've read that they are really shy though and normally will be unseen for weeks or months. He's not planning an escape is he?  Lol. @Mkbarton since you've had Yasha before did yours feel that comfortable?

Maybe he's just showing Elvis who's boss! :lol:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe he's just showing Elvis who's boss! :lol:

He probably is. He's little, he probably has lil fish syndrome. 

11 minutes ago, Minmay said:

He probably is. He's little, he probably has lil fish syndrome. 

You might be on to something there!  :haha:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my first Blasto frag yesterday. These corals are really sexy to me and Im thinking about creating a blasto only tank. Anywho, I have a crush on my blasto. Its opened up nicely in my tank and actually looks bigger than what it did at LFS.

20170612_103436.jpg

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Minmay said:

I bought my first Blasto frag yesterday. These corals are really sexy to me and Im thinking about creating a blasto only tank. Anywho, I have a crush on my blasto. Its opened up nicely in my tank and actually looks bigger than what it did at LFS.

20170612_103436.jpg

One of my favorite corals.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I love them too. I may have to find a place for them again. 

One of my socal reef group members has a beautiful collection of Blastos. I guess he has a hook up with one of the vendors. Im waiting for reef-a-palooza to come to Anaheim to see if I can get more uncommon blastos

• Like 1

I was staring at my tank during lunch break and noticed that one of my candy canes isnt growing like the others. I noticed that the mushroom has gotten large amd sometimes touches it. So, I searched to see if mushrooms can sting and I guess they can. I went to my LFS since she has an electric saw and had her remove the candy canes onto a rock. Here's my combo before it was removed. 

IMG_2017-06-12_16-02-20.JPG

• Like 1
Nixperience
8 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I was staring at my tank during lunch break and noticed that one of my candy canes isnt growing like the others. I noticed that the mushroom has gotten large amd sometimes touches it. So, I searched to see if mushrooms can sting and I guess they can. I went to my LFS since she has an electric saw and had her remove the candy canes onto a rock. Here's my combo before it was removed. 

IMG_2017-06-12_16-02-20.JPG

Ya mushrooms are best kept near other softies like ricordeas and leathers. They will give off a toxin when in proximity to other corals. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Ya mushrooms are best kept near other softies like ricordeas and leathers. They will give off a toxin when in proximity to other corals. 

Lesson learned for sure but she was the one who sold it to me that way. When I bought em, it was dying so she probably didnt think it was gonna make it. Maybe thats why she put em' together like that.