Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My journey to serenity

Minmay

Fish are odd.

My clown and blenny were best buds unless one went near the other territory then there was  bit of aggression.

My clown hates the shrimp going anywhere near its frogspawn but had no issue with goby i had???

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Guess Elvis has to be the boss! :lol:

I guess so! Elvis was NOT going to be the one leaving the building ???

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Fish are odd.

My clown and blenny were best buds unless one went near the other territory then there was  bit of aggression.

My clown hates the shrimp going anywhere near its frogspawn but had no issue with goby i had???

Yes, very odd indeed but its great entertainment until someone gets hurt

• Like 1

So this evening while staring at my tank with the tank light off but room light on. I noticed that there's a bright green color to my rocks. I read that it could be coralline and that there are different colors of coralline like green, yellow, red. I do have specs of purple as well. I did take a toothbrush to see if it would come off and it wouldnt so maybe coralline? Just not the typical purple? 

20170530_202419.jpg

• Like 4
mbarton2010
20 minutes ago, Minmay said:

So this evening while staring at my tank with the tank light off but room light on. I noticed that there's a bright green color to my rocks. I read that it could be coralline and that there are different colors of coralline like green, yellow, red. I do have specs of purple as well. I did take a toothbrush to see if it would come off and it wouldnt so maybe coralline? Just not the typical purple? 

20170530_202419.jpg

I have the exact same.

• Like 2
mbarton2010
1 minute ago, Minmay said:

So, its a good thing? I hope. I never noticed it before

Yeah I believe it is a type of coralline. It hasn't caused me any trouble and it hasn't grown any stringy algae

• Like 1
Just now, Mkbarton said:

Yeah I believe it is a type of coralline. It hasn't caused me any trouble and it hasn't grown any stringy algae

Oooo that means that water chemistry is on the right track. Yay! This makes me happy. 

• Like 1
Nixperience

Noticed your mangroves hanging there. I got 12" clear acrylic rods and used small black zipties to attach each mangrove to a rod. Then you can stick the rods in the sand or hole in the rock and have your mangroves upright. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Noticed your mangroves hanging there. I got 12" clear acrylic rods and used small black zipties to attach each mangrove to a rod. Then you can stick the rods in the sand or hole in the rock and have your mangroves upright. 

I have rubberbands keeping it in place lol. How are your mangroves doing for water quality? I've been meaning to ask you that.

Nixperience
31 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I have rubberbands keeping it in place lol. How are your mangroves doing for water quality? I've been meaning to ask you that.

Not sure. I have 6 mangroves, clump of chaeto, dragons breath, red grape, codium, and a tiny bit of stringy ulva that gets eaten. I'm feeding twice a day lately and nitrates are under 10ppm. Not sure how much of the uptake is the mangroves. Most of it is probably the chaeto. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Not sure. I have 6 mangroves, clump of chaeto, dragons breath, red grape, codium, and a tiny bit of stringy ulva that gets eaten. I'm feeding twice a day lately and nitrates are under 10ppm. Not sure how much of the uptake is the mangroves. Most of it is probably the chaeto. 

Nice!! I tried to keep a small amount of chaeto. It wasnt working for me but I did read that I would have to have a large amount in order for it to be effective. I have 2 mangroves and it seems to be doing great.

Nixperience
3 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Nice!! I tried to keep a small amount of chaeto. It wasnt working for me but I did read that I would have to have a large amount in order for it to be effective. I have 2 mangroves and it seems to be doing great.

Mangroves are really slow exporters. Can't imagine 2 are doing much. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Mangroves are really slow exporters. Can't imagine 2 are doing much. 

Yes, I've read they are really slow too but my tank is small and I think it has to be doing something because I've increased my feeding schedule to every other day to twice daily and water quality is still 0,0,10. Or maybe my bacteria has finally caught up with bioload? Idk, just let me play in my lil' bubble ???

• Like 1
Nixperience
13 minutes ago, Minmay said:

Yes, I've read they are really slow too but my tank is small and I think it has to be doing something because I've increased my feeding schedule to every other day to twice daily and water quality is still 0,0,10. Or maybe my bacteria has finally caught up with bioload? Idk, just let me play in my lil' bubble ???

Well bacteria doesn't consume nitrate, it produces nitrate. Algae consumes nitrate and phosphate. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nixperience said:

Well bacteria doesn't consume nitrate, it produces nitrate. Algae consumes nitrate and phosphate. 

Oooo lol...I still have alot to learn and remember lol but thats what I love about this forum. Alot of great info. So bacteria just eats ammonia?

Nixperience
Just now, Minmay said:

Oooo lol...I still have alot to learn and remember lol but thats what I love about this forum. Alot of great info. So bacteria just eats ammonia?

Some bacteria consumes ammonia and produces nitrites and some bacteria consumes nitrites and produces nitrates. I don't think anything consumes nitrates except plants and algae. I think the only way to lower nitrates is water changes or plants and algae. If I'm wrong, at least it's not a harmful way of thinking. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Some bacteria consumes ammonia and produces nitrites and some bacteria consumes nitrites and produces nitrates. I don't think anything consumes nitrates except plants and algae. I think the only way to lower nitrates is water changes or plants and algae. If I'm wrong, at least it's not a harmful way of thinking. 

There are anaerobic bacteria that consume nitrates, but they are difficult to "grow" in a nano tank, so for all practical purposes your answer is correct. 

(De-nitrifying sandbeds are used to grow anaerobic bacteria that will consume nitrates.)

• Like 1
Nixperience
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

There are anaerobic bacteria that consume nitrates, but they are difficult to "grow" in a nano tank, so for all practical purposes your answer is correct. 

(De-nitrifying sandbeds are used to grow anaerobic bacteria that will consume nitrates.)

Oh right. Screw deep sandbeds. 

• Like 2

Good morning all...so woke up this morning to get some coffee and I noticed Mr. Miyagi totally outside his cave amd wandering around. I was like "awwww" he feels Safe. Well, the reason why he felt safe was cuz this fool Elvis was in the 3rd chamber lol. 

IMG_2017-06-01_06-48-49.JPG

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Lmao

You should've seen me looking on the floor, on the counter and I couldnt find him. Turned on the light and saw him swimming in the second chamber and when I tried to get him out he squeezed through to the 3rd chamber. I took the return off and he went through there to the DT. Smh...I guess I really need to get a screen. I was hoping if they felt safe enough they wont jump. Elvis hasnt jumped since I got him. This is the first. Im just glad it was in the chamber.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I guess any fish can jump, but clowns don't usually jump. 

Scary moment for sure. I guess he wanted to know what was on the other side

• Like 1