Top Shelf Aquatics

Bubble Algae, only one, advice?

ChristopherDido

ChristopherDido

Hey all,

I'm here again :-) Took advice of people last time and bought a hydor koralia 425 for my 28G JbJ Nano Cube Pro. I just got it in the mail and installed it today.

I've been checking my tank daily, still haven't bought a test kit, trying to figure out best one, thinking API Master Reef. But that's not the point of this post, my lfs tested my water on Friday and said it's "to clean," ha. Anyway, today when all the lights came up and was looking at tank, saw a single green bubble Algae bubble on the sanded. Hoping someone can help tell me what to do to get rid of it quick. 

Thanks in advance! Here's a pic of it.

IMG_20170528_161901.jpg

ChristopherDido
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Bubble algae is pretty much normal. 

Gently twist and remove without popping it

Thanks Clown79! I reached in, after washing my hands and pulled it out, I think I was nervous about popping it, so I was holding it really light and the pump blew it out of my hand, took a couple minutes of chasing it around my tank and finally scooping it with a net but it's out... I can say my flow in my tank pretty much hits every part of the tank from watching that thing fly around :-)

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, that happens often if the pumps are left on. I've had to chase a few down?

Noob mistake... Learning as I go. I'm fascinated!

aviator300
3 hours ago, ChristopherDido said:

Thanks Clown79! I reached in, after washing my hands and pulled it out, I think I was nervous about popping it, so I was holding it really light and the pump blew it out of my hand, took a couple minutes of chasing it around my tank and finally scooping it with a net but it's out... I can say my flow in my tank pretty much hits every part of the tank from watching that thing fly around :-)

With all due respect to Clown79, Valonia Ventricosa (Bubble Algae) is absolutely NOT "pretty much normal". It is much too common in our tanks and can ruin a reef if not dealt with quickly, but it's not a normal part of a healthy reef.

If a bubble bursts, the algae spores are spread throughout the tank and hundreds of new bubbles can form quickly. You certainly can remove it the way you did by twisting, but a safer way would be to siphon it out like during a water change. If you do need to use tongs or the like for attached bubbles, hold a siphon near in case it bursts so the spores will get sucked out of the tank.

One word of caution....I've never seen a lone bubble like that sitting by itself on the sand and I'm wondering if it may have become detached from a hidden colony of bubble Algae growing on the underside of your rockwork, out of sight. This happened to me several years ago when I was taking a large rock out of my tank to rearrange things and discovered a large clump of the stuff growing on the underside of the rock. Bubble algae doesn't need a lot of light to grow and spread so if I were you, I'd do a good search to make sure that bubble didn't leave behind its family.

Here's a pic of an infected tank I pulled off the internet.

bubble%20algae_zpsxti6uxuy.jpg

• Like 3

What I meant by normal, its a common issue like aiptasia. 

I have never seen it get out of control if you remove what you see. Thats pretty much the way it is with anything you don't want in your tank.

Compared to dino's, gha, bryopsis, i'll take a few bubble algae anyday that can be easily removed.

• Like 2
ChristopherDido
19 hours ago, aviator300 said:

With all due respect to Clown79, Valonia Ventricosa (Bubble Algae) is absolutely NOT "pretty much normal". It is much too common in our tanks and can ruin a reef if not dealt with quickly, but it's not a normal part of a healthy reef.

If a bubble bursts, the algae spores are spread throughout the tank and hundreds of new bubbles can form quickly. You certainly can remove it the way you did by twisting, but a safer way would be to siphon it out like during a water change. If you do need to use tongs or the like for attached bubbles, hold a siphon near in case it bursts so the spores will get sucked out of the tank.

One word of caution....I've never seen a lone bubble like that sitting by itself on the sand and I'm wondering if it may have become detached from a hidden colony of bubble Algae growing on the underside of your rockwork, out of sight. This happened to me several years ago when I was taking a large rock out of my tank to rearrange things and discovered a large clump of the stuff growing on the underside of the rock. Bubble algae doesn't need a lot of light to grow and spread so if I were you, I'd do a good search to make sure that bubble didn't leave behind its family.

Here's a pic of an infected tank I pulled off the internet.

bubble%20algae_zpsxti6uxuy.jpg

Thanks for the reply... I don't think any is under the rocks. I pulled them all out a little over a week ago when I moved my tank from near a window to a more suitable spot and didn't see any. Just checked the rock wall looking pretty close and didn't see anything. Did find an asterina starfish, my partner helped me identify it. I'll keep a close eye, thanks!

• Like 1