SaltCritters.com

Algae types and CUC

Ktella

Hey guys/girls . I've had my tank up and running for about 4 months now and things are going great , for a CUC I have two hermits, six trochus snails , and an emerald crab . I believe the diatom stage is over and now I'm getting the green algae and also spotting some purple on my rock too . Should I be getting a stronger CUC for the green algae ? . I've also spotted some algae in my sand bed , any suggestions there too? And finally I have what seems to be a dark red algae in one spot , can anyone identify it . 

20170528_145051.jpg

In the bottom left corner is the algae in the sand bed .

20170528_145128.jpg

• Like 1

Vacuuming your sandbed is important, ensuring you have adequate flow in all areas, changing floss 2 times a week will all help reduce issues.

Adding a few nassarius and ceriths can help

• Like 2

The red patch is cyanobacteria.  That and the algae are primarily due to an excess of organics and nutrients.

I also noticed that your sand bed is a little coarse.  That allows more detritus to accumulate, making sand bed maintenance even more important.