SaltCritters.com

14 biocube Steve LED retro fit heat concern

GreatBrothaReef

GreatBrothaReef

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has Steve's LEd retrokit or similar kit for the biocube.

I ordered my kit a month ago and finally completed the install yesterday. I have it running on the hurricane controller.

The kit is pretty much the same as here except mine is the 14 biocube.

The tank isnt setup but I ran it today just to make sure the controller was ramping up the intensity.

What I found is it seems like it is very hot to the touch on the plastic shroud directly above the leds.

Im very concerned this would melt or turn dark around the lights in a short time span.

I dont even have the lights at 60% power and yet the plastic seems very hot. It just seems the leds are extremely close to the plastic.

It seems to be getting good circulation around the heatsink as I cut of the inner walls as instructions recommended but the LEDs themselves are only a max 1/4 in or so away from the plastic guard.

Anyone else have this setup and could let me know if my concern is valid or how/if I should correct this?

StinkyBunny

I have one on a Red Sea Max 130D and it runs cool. Contact them, they're great folks to deal with and can figure out what's going on.

I have the kit on my BC29. Is your fan on the heatsink running? When I installed mine the fan didnt work. It also felt warm but wasn't overly hot (was running all less than 50%). I finally got around to getting support on that and ended up replacing the fan. Now it stays cool but damn its a little noisy. Oh well. Its a pretty good light kit. Running blues on 100% and whites at 55% SPS are growing.

As Trubble says, send them a support ticket from their website. They were great help for me, providing pictures and all.

• 2 weeks later...
GreatBrothaReef

yeah I sent them a message. Jeff got back to me right away and informed me that the LED's should feel hot but not scolding. He said "Think hot tub hot". around 100 plus degrees. He said that it would take around 300 plus degrees to melt the shield. When I touched my shield I would say hot tub hot is accurate. and they seem to stay a consistent temp as the day goes on, not like a incandescent bulb where it gets hotter and hotter the longer it's on. Anyway, Jeff eased my mind. I think they are running normal.