Coral Vue Hydros

Salifert vs. API - Test Results

SaltyBuddha

SaltyBuddha

I have heard a lot of negative things regarding API test kits. So, I decided to get some Salifert tests to see how my API test kits held up. I've only had a SW for two months, and I've been using my API test kits from when I cycled. I ran the API test kits first since those results take some guess work interpreting the color scales and could have been influenced from the Salifert results.

API Test Results

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

PH: 8.1

KH: 8.5-9

Ca: 440-460

Salifert Results

Nitrate: 5-10ppm

PH: 8.0

KH: 8.7

Ca: 430

I have been using the API test kits since my tank started and I've had a lot of time to perfect how I read them. I use the bathroom light, hold the vial directly on the test sheet and angle the sheet and vial so there are little to no shadows in the vial. Timing is very critical with these tests. If you wait an extra few minutes to read your results, they will be higher than what they actually are. Also, the PH scale sucks and I read how much purple is in the vial since the colors do not match completely. 

But you just used tank water? There's no control unless you're using a solution with known amaonts already in it to see if either tests are accurate. 

SaltyBuddha
8 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

But you just used tank water? There's no control unless you're using a solution with known amaonts already in it to see if either tests are accurate. 

So....both tests are off by the same amount...thanks, Derrick :lol:

Based on the numbers they are both off by different amounts, though not enough to worry about. The point was that you're using something with unknown amounts for the test to begin with. 

SaltyBuddha
15 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Based on the numbers they are both off by different amounts, though not enough to worry about. The point was that you're using something with unknown amounts for the test to begin with. 

Every test will have different results. The only conclusion is that they are similar for the same water.

For nitrate and pH, I think you are fine using either kit, IMO, close enough is good enough on these measurements. 

Not sure what type of reefing you are doing but for me I want my alk to be perfectly stable.  I accomplish this by getting my doser to dose the same amount of dKh that my tank consumes each day.  In order to properly set this up, I want a tighter measurement range than .5 dKh.  In other words, if I measure with the API kit and my Alk is between 8.5 and 9, I'm not sure how much the tank is consuming and thus can't set the precise dose.    With Salifert, I can get an exact measurement and thus get an exact usage and exact dose. 

If  you are keeping soft corals and easier LPS, you could get away with the range vs. an exact measurement. 

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
3 minutes ago, urbaneks said:

For nitrate and pH, I think you are fine using either kit, IMO, close enough is good enough on these measurements. 

Not sure what type of reefing you are doing but for me I want my alk to be perfectly stable.  I accomplish this by getting my doser to dose the same amount of dKh that my tank consumes each day.  In order to properly set this up, I want a tighter measurement range than .5 dKh.  In other words, if I measure with the API kit and my Alk is between 8.5 and 9, I'm not sure how much the tank is consuming and thus can't set the precise dose.    With Salifert, I can get an exact measurement and thus get an exact usage and exact dose. 

If  you are keeping soft corals and easier LPS, you could get away with the range vs. an exact measurement. 

Totally agree with this. API gets you in the ball park. If you need exact measurements, you obviously need something more accurate then .5 KH. Just wanted to see if API was accurate (and it was) although it is limited by the larger scale.