Pod Your Reef

Local shop selling out all corals 30% due to Aiptasia

Yaman

30% on all corals.....i saw some realy nice acans and purp gorgonias. My tank is 2 weeks old, not ready yet but soon it is. The coraltank is invaded whit this shit.....the corals i checked hade some on the fragplugs. 

Im pretty sure that i can scrape this small monster off, but if i miss one or two....

Pretty sure that i can bump down the prices more....but is it worth the risk?

FiveGallonSea

That doesn't strike me as a responsible shop at all. They have a problem and instead of treating it and not selling they are attracting business by slashing their prices and possibly infecting your tank. That's like saying "50% off all fish with ich!".My opinion- I wouldn't walk back in that store.

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, FiveGallonSea said:

That doesn't strike me as a responsible shop at all. They have a problem and instead of treating it and not selling they are attracting business by slashing their prices and possibly infecting your tank. That's like saying "50% off all fish with ich!".My opinion- I wouldn't walk back in that store.

Yep. 

I think it would be wiser for you to avoid this right now. 

• Like 1

The owner is new to this hobby, he took over the shop 1 year ago and the focus to day is reptiles. He was told to get help from start, but the dude who started it all is cash horny and aint supporting the new one in a good way.

I maybe shoud help out the guy and kick the other one in hes ass and try to get hes coraltank in shape. 

All in all the rest in saltsystem is realy nice

I agree its shoddy of the owner but if his focus is reptilia, maybe he is fazing out of the aquatics so selling it all off to those who are willing to take the time to remove the aips..

You can get aiptasia regardless if you see one or not. It can be amongst polyps. At 1 point or another, ppl get them.

If its on the plug, you can remove the coral off the plug and ditch the plug.

Or cut the plug down with cutters, or treat the aiptasia with aiptasia x

slowngreen

I wouldn't have any store bought coral if I were picky about aiptasia. I've actually never been in a shop that I didn't spot some. They are annoying little bastards but can be taken care of pretty easily. If the corals are thriving, I wouldn't hesitate on buying them at that discount. Too bad for the coral the guy isn't any good at caring for them if he's willing to sell out that easy. Aiptasia and bubble algae are always somewhere in all the shops I've been too.

• Like 3

the goal is to empty the tank and start over again. They are all over the tank, sorta crazy oO

Gonna check this Berghia.....filefish is in the tank but it is out  of controll

They are not impossible to remove from your tank/rocks, but I agree with the conclusion of the above posters: it is not worth it.  My slant though is it is never worth "pushing" things when it comes to tanks.  Sure, there will always be a good "deal" to be had if you are willing to take a risk/go out of your way, etc. but I think stability is crucial.  Also, to my thinking if I am taking a risk, I want a significant (as in 50-75% off) cut in price; 30% to me is not a huge savings.  Why introduce a variable (unless you are bored and want the challenge/experience) if it is avoidable?  

• Like 2

Went to the shop yesterday whit a syringe and hot water. 3 houers to clean the worst corals, not so fun oO Went home whit a nice acan and a small Catalaphyllia+ fine ati fidji sand  for free. Was to great deal for a no at this point

Seen small bastards on the acan today, scratched them of, hotwater if they popup again. Maybe im gonna regret this later on, but life aint easy all the time lol