Pwnm30rdi3

Need some opinions about oversized skimmers & general advice for upcoming build!

Pwnm30rdi3

Hey everyone! I have decided to re-enter the nano world once again after just tearing down my 90 gallon display, 55 gallon refugium, and 25 gallon sump (only ever had about 15 gallons of actual water in the sump). My 15" (diameter) ritteri anemone climbed into the overflow and died while I was on vacation, crashing the tank. So I am starting something that will be less of a head ache and more manageable. Especially because I may be moving in the next 12-24 months.

I have some left over parts from my last reef tank, such as my skimmer, the Vertex IN-180. Which was rated by Vertex for up to 180 gallons, I found it kept up quite well with my 160 gallons of total water capacity. I don't think I would have used this skimmer on anything larger than 160 gallons though, especially if heavily stocked. 

How many of you think it will be okay to run this skimmer on my next nano build?

I am planning on building a 42" x 14" x 14" custom acrylic tank that should be right around 35 gallons.

I will be reusing the sump from my last set-up, which should yield me around 50 gallons of total system water capacity.

Will this skimmer be too much for 50 gallons, will I have troubles building skimmate?

Second question, will an MP40wQD be overkill for this tank? The only reason I ask is because the acrylic will have to be 3/4" thick in order to be rimless.

Anyways, it is great to be back in the Nano-Reef community!

seabass

So the pump can be turned down as low as 1000 gph, so it should work.  However, I've found, on their MP10's, that the wavemaker modes don't function well when the pump is turned all of the way down.  I'm not sure whether or not that's also the case with the MP40's.

I remember researching pumps for 1/2" glass before.  There were a few to choose from.  However, I'm not sure about 3/4" walls.

I say give the skimmer a shot.  If it doesn't work the way you want it to, then buy a new one.

Pwnm30rdi3
4 hours ago, seabass said:

So the pump can be turned down as low as 1000 gph, so it should work.  However, I've found, on their MP10's, that the wavemaker modes don't function well when the pump is turned all of the way down.  I'm not sure whether or not that's also the case with the MP40's.

I was afraid of that. I've read about some other people using MP40's in 40B tanks, which is fairly close in size. Most of them claim they have to run the pump at less than 50-60% power or they blow the flesh off their softies. Sounds great, right?

I remember researching pumps for 1/2" glass before.  There were a few to choose from.  However, I'm not sure about 3/4" walls.

Quite a few of the medium sized powerheads seem to be compatible with 1/2" walls, but I can't find many that would play nice with a nano tank and 3/4" walls. I'm shooting for 350-375GPH on my return (using a panworld 480 I had lying around) to hold me over for a while just in case I can't find any powerheads that work well for me.

I say give the skimmer a shot.  If it doesn't work the way you want it to, then buy a new on then.

Seems like 80% of the people with over-sized skimmers seem to have pretty good luck with them, while the other 20% say it is an absolute failure.

I think I will give it a try. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't produce any skimmate because the foam doesn't reach the cup. I could think of worse problems to have...

My tank won't be delivered for another 5-6 weeks, so I could always list the skimmer for sale in the time being to see if anyone wants to pick it up? I'm not even sure what this thing is worth? I upgraded the pump to a Sedra about 18 months ago and that was like $110 upgrade.

Any ideas what it might be worth?

seabass
30 minutes ago, Pwnm30rdi3 said:

Any ideas what it might be worth?

Not really.  Maybe half of what a comparable new skimmer might sell for. :unsure:

Pwnm30rdi3
34 minutes ago, seabass said:

Not really.  Maybe half of what a comparable new skimmer might sell for. :unsure:

That is a pretty good method, imo.

A brand new Vertex Omega 180 (the newest model)sells between $450 and $500.

So maybe list it for $200 and see if it sells?

--

Side thought, about the MP40 pump. Maybe I could wrap some sort of foam sock/ insert around the wet side to slow down flow in my tank? At the same time that would mean I would have to clean the foam/ sock often to keep it from clogging...

Ebn

I'm pretty sure the skimmer and driver would work, especially if you're looking at keeping a high flow tank. I used to run 3x MP40W on my 26 gallon bare bottom SPS tank. The flow is pretty dispersed on the Vortechs, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I ran two of the three on 80% max output on reefcrest mode. 

I'm currently running a Vertex 150 on my 47G tank. While the 180i is a bit larger, I'd wouldn't hesitate on running it on either a 50 to 60 gallon tank, especially since I feed pretty extensively. 

• Like 1