Innovative Marine Aquariums

Weird request, ask me coral questions!

bofo

Hello all!

I work at an LFS; usually my friend who works there handles questions about corals. We have a big Memorial Day sale, and he's out this weekend, meaning those of us with less advanced knowledge will be taking care of guests. We can hold our own when it comes to basic questions, but I'd be at a loss when it comes to say how many inches away from X amount of light and X amount of flow to place a new frag in a high energy acro tank or something.

Now for my request; I'd like for you guys to quiz me! Ask me questions about coral and I'll answer to the best of my ability, and learn through research what I don't know! It'll be good practice!

Thanks, this'll help me a lot. Shoot!

• Like 3

love your attitude and approach to this!

Question 1:

I have a 20 gallon tank with mostly mushrooms and xenia.  I bought Seachem Fusion 1 and 2 for calcium and alk.  How much do I dose?

Question 2:

Can I put that flame angel in my 20 gallon tank?

• Like 5
ashwin1224
  1. Are hydroponic grow lights better than just blue and white?
  2. What corals can be happy living on the floor(aragonite sand) of my tank? Ive got 120W of 60W 6500k+60W blue lights in a DIY fixture, in an 18inch tall tank(37G), with lights hanging about 3 inches from the surface.
  3. Is surface agitation good for the corals? I mean do the light ripples actually benefit coral growth?

EDIT:

1.  What beginner/less demanding coral is best kept on a live rock island within the tank?

3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

love your attitude and approach to this!

Question 1:

I have a 20 gallon tank with mostly mushrooms and xenia.  I bought Seachem Fusion 1 and 2 for calcium and alk.  How much do I dose?

Question 2:

Can I put that flame angel in my 20 gallon tank?

1) I would recommend first dosing this tank with a water change. See where a 25% WC with high quality mix like reef crystals gets you. We sell this water here; I use it in my personal tanks! If and only if your alkalinity is below 8 and calcium below 1300, working on pristine trace element levels for these hardy corals will take something basic and beautiful an make it even better! Start very small; dose 1/2 the volume the product recommends so as not to make your other params such as ph go out of whack.

2) No, I cannot recommend this. Dwarf angels are beautiful, but require at LEAST 30 gallons for the room to swim and graze. Even 30 is in the "can I get away with it" range and you could definitely just have the one angel. They're also tricky; some like to nip at your corals you're working so hard for!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I have a low PH, please tell me how to fix it!!!

Water change, water change, water change! If and when this doesn't fix it; well look at your other params like alkalinity. We do testing for that here and can get you set up to do it at home (it's fun, this salifert testing makes you feel like a mad scientist). We'll fix your problem more thoroughly once we know these parameters.

5 minutes ago, bofo said:

Water change, water change, water change! If and when this doesn't fix it; well look at your other params like alkalinity. We do testing for that here and can get you set up to do it at home (it's fun, this salifert testing makes you feel like a mad scientist). We'll fix your problem more thoroughly once we know these parameters.

Water changes are sound advice to fix almost anything, but I would recommend taking a closer look at Alk levels to stabilize Ph. 

A large percentage of the time (tho not always) a lower Alk will be the cause of low Ph issues. 

Make sure Alk is where it needs to be and if it isn't, then 2 part dosing to correct this is in order. 

DO NOT use additives to try to raise Ph or try to keep a perfect PH, this leads to trouble in the long run and sometimes even in the short run. 

Explain that the time of day makes a difference in their Ph. 

Ph will be lower before their lights come on or when lights have only been on a short time and will be higher at the middle or end of their light cycle. This is normal because Ph will rise as corals photosynthesize. 

Their Ph will also likely be more stable/higher if they are running a skimmer. 

Another thing that can help stabilize Ph is if they are running a refugium with Macro of some sort (chaeto is fine) on a reverse light cycle. 

But make sure they understand that if they have a big reef tank they will need a larger refugium and more than a golf ball size of chaeto to see the effects. 

• Like 3

Next question: Hammers and Torches are soooo pretty, what kind of a tank do they need?

I have a great open spot for that gorgeous 14k from Outer Space Gold Torch, it's at the top of my tank right next to my MP40, can it be happy there??

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ashwin1224 said:
  1. Are hydroponic grow lights better than just blue and white?
  2. What corals can be happy living on the floor(aragonite sand) of my tank? Ive got 120W of 60W 6500k+60W blue lights in a DIY fixture, in an 18inch tall tank(37G), with lights hanging about 3 inches from the surface.
  3. Is surface agitation good for the corals? I mean do the light ripples actually benefit coral growth?

EDIT:

1.  What beginner/less demanding coral is best kept on a live rock island within the tank?

1) well, I am not familiar with hydroponic lights, but my guess would be they wouldn't be the right kelvin rating if they are designed for plant growth. With our aquatics lighting we try to emulate the lighting corals get naturally as it penetrates water. A high quality fixture with white and blue usually amounts to 14k to 20k, which is ideal in the range depending on what you are doing.

2) I would recommend some of these brains within our selection, many are easy to keep.

3) the purpose of surface agitation I.e. Pointing your power heads upwards is to aerate water which certainly helps with your water growth.

edit question) Zoas! Or this green star polyp if you don't like them.

these are my answers without google, I'm sure much of it is off! Thanks!

20 minutes ago, bofo said:

1) well, I am not familiar with hydroponic lights, but my guess would be they wouldn't be the right kelvin rating if they are designed for plant growth. With our aquatics lighting we try to emulate the lighting corals get naturally as it penetrates water. A high quality fixture with white and blue usually amounts to 14k to 20k, which is ideal in the range depending on what you are doing.

2) I would recommend some of these brains within our selection, many are easy to keep.

3) the purpose of surface agitation I.e. Pointing your power heads upwards is to aerate water which certainly helps with your water growth.

edit question) Zoas! Or this green star polyp if you don't like them.

these are my answers without google, I'm sure much of it is off! Thanks!

Well, you won't have Google to check at work, so this approach is great!!

That answer on lighting will work. Just so you know, hydroponic lighting does work well for lighting refugiums. 

1 hour ago, bofo said:

1) I would recommend first dosing this tank with a water change. See where a 25% WC with high quality mix like reef crystals gets you. We sell this water here; I use it in my personal tanks! If and only if your alkalinity is below 8 and calcium below 1300, working on pristine trace element levels for these hardy corals will take something basic and beautiful an make it even better! Start very small; dose 1/2 the volume the product recommends so as not to make your other params such as ph go out of whack.

2) No, I cannot recommend this. Dwarf angels are beautiful, but require at LEAST 30 gallons for the room to swim and graze. Even 30 is in the "can I get away with it" range and you could definitely just have the one angel. They're also tricky; some like to nip at your corals you're working so hard for!

Very nice.  For 1, I would just stress to test for Calcium and Alk before dosing anything.  

Should i leave my zoas and palys on the frag plugs in the sand or should i move them onto my rockwork. I have a 10 gallon with a current usa marine led currently at 60% blue and 50% white. 

fishfreak0114

1. Should I put my acans in high light so they'll keep their bright colors?

2. Will a torch and frogspawn be happy next to each other?

3. Will leathers attack each other if placed in close proximity?

5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Next question: Hammers and Torches are soooo pretty, what kind of a tank do they need?

I have a great open spot for that gorgeous 14k from Outer Space Gold Torch, it's at the top of my tank right next to my MP40, can it be happy there??

These corals don't need to look like a tree blowing in a hurricane! I'd experiment with placing them in moderate light and flow, at the mid to lowish levels of the tank. 

5 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

What corals can I put next to a torch? How far away does it have to be from others?

Torches have stingers that come out and are quite aggressive. I would place them several inches away from your other stuff!

4 hours ago, Gradleg said:

Should i leave my zoas and palys on the frag plugs in the sand or should i move them onto my rockwork. I have a 10 gallon with a current usa marine led currently at 60% blue and 50% white. 

I would designate a rock for these guys. They grow better on these surfaces and will overtake whatever they're on with good water quality! 

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

1. Should I put my acans in high light so they'll keep their bright colors?

2. Will a torch and frogspawn be happy next to each other?

3. Will leathers attack each other if placed in close proximity?

1) well, you'll want them in not so high light actually. It's the temperature (kelvin) of light which matters for color, and the acans like many LPS shouldn't be placed in such high light.

2)frogspawn should not be placed next to torches. Torches are lonely since they're so aggressive with their stingers!

3)nope! These are peaceful corals, they'll be happy next to your frogspawn if you want to occupy that space.

all right guys I'm gonna submit this then google to fact check myself. On lunch now! Sold some Duncans and a few fish!

• Like 4
HarryPotter
6 hours ago, bofo said:

I hope you mean magnesium below 1300 ?

• Like 1
RayWhisperer
39 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

I don't often venture here. For whatever reason, I read this thread and came here to say this. Bros got sum serious issues if he got calcium anywhere near 1300. I don't even know if it's possible to saturate calcium to that point. I doubt it.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

Customer:  I love all your mushroom corals! (Discosoma, Rhodactis, Ricordia, etc.)  Can I just put them all right next to each other in my tank?

Customer:  Can I place those pretty little colorful Zoanthids in amongst all these various Mushrooms?

Customer:  I have low pH (7.2), low alkalinity (6.0 dKh) and low calcium (320 ppm).  Can I just use Kalkwasser to quickly bring everything up to more typical reef tank parameters (pH 8.2, Alk 8.5, Cal 420 ppm)?  Do I need anything else to keep all these parameters stable?

4 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

I don't often venture here. For whatever reason, I read this thread and came here to say this. Bros got sum serious issues if he got calcium anywhere near 1300. I don't even know if it's possible to saturate calcium to that point. I doubt it.

5 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Hahaha doh! That was a brain fart

5 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

What is a good beginner SPS? 

Try birds nest!

5 hours ago, mlivvy said:

My friend told me about this magic powder? Does it work?

lg_523167_FS34876-i.jpg

I am not familiar with this. I'd suggest some aquavitro fuel for a more common, tried and true all in one reef supplement. 

2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Customer:  I love all your mushroom corals! (Discosoma, Rhodactis, Ricordia, etc.)  Can I just put them all right next to each other in my tank?

Customer:  Can I place those pretty little colorful Zoanthids in amongst all these various Mushrooms?

Customer:  I have low pH (7.2), low alkalinity (6.0 dKh) and low calcium (320 ppm).  Can I just use Kalkwasser to quickly bring everything up to more typical reef tank parameters (pH 8.2, Alk 8.5, Cal 420 ppm)?  Do I need anything else to keep all these parameters stable?

These are getting tougher...

1) it's generally safer to allow corals more room to breathe, literally and figuratively.

2) see above, 

3) when all of these params are low is generally when you use a product such as this yes. I would make sure a guest in the store had thoroughly tested and try it myself as well.

Edit here: I have thought about this still without googling, I think I would ask about the rock and sand in the tank. I think maybe I miss obvious stuff a lot! I would also ask general questions like maintenance routine.

here are more non-googled answers, I try to keep it general when I'm not sure about something. thanks guys for putting me through the ringer! I normally do basic maintenance in the store and it's tough not having our expert(s) in this busy weekend; I'm learning a lot here and on the job!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

So, did you sell a lot of stuff? Did you trash any dummy customers?

Well it felt busy I probably brought in some ~revenue~! 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, bofo said:

Well it felt busy I probably brought in some ~revenue~! 

Hope it was a great learning experience!!

Did anyone ask any questions like we brought up?

Were you able to answer everything?

• Like 1