SaltCritters.com

Nitrate issues

coralreef20g

coralreef20g

What's up guys,

My system has been set up for 49 days now. This being said, I introduced my first "livestock" to the tank last week as a pair of clowns.

Anyways, I've been doing 20% water changes weekly and have been assiduous when it comes to cleaning the sand bed. My feeding schedule for my clowns consists of what they can consume within 1:30mins every other day.

This being said, my nitrates have been floating between 10-20 ever since my cycle completed. Today they tested at 13. I was just curios if there's anything I can do to truly lower my nitrates and get them in that 0-5 range. Or will they lower as more time passes and the tank matures?

Adding Macroalgae will lower the nitrates. 

I have a pair of Clowns in a 15g tank that I feed heavily every day and I can't get the nitrates above 0 because of the Macroalgae in my tank. 

• Like 1

1:30's worth of food is actually quite a bit.  I'd feed a bit less personally.  Running a Protein Skimmer and frequent water changes will lower nitrates as well as utilizing macroalgae in a designated refugium

What kind of tank do you have and whats the filteration method?

What filter media are you using?

Also what kind of water are you using?

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

^ This is what I was thinking.

When I first started, I used RO water from one of those grocery vending machines.  But no matter how much water I changed, nitrate wouldn't drop below 40 ppm.  Then it hit me to test a newly mixed batch of saltwater; and sure enough, the new water had 40 ppm of nitrate, so water changes did nothing to lower that nitrate level.

I also tried RO/DI from one of the local fish stores, but there was stuff floating in the water (clearly not 0 TDS).  After that, I switched to distilled water, until ultimately I got my own RO/DI unit.

So go ahead and test a newly mixed batch of saltwater for ammonia and nitrate.  Some salt mixes contain more ammonia than others, so this could also be a contributing factor.

• Like 1

You can use some of the more attractive Macroalgae plants in your display without having to set up a dedicated refugium, by the way. That's how my tank is right now. 

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

You can use some of the more attractive Macroalgae plants in your display without having to set up a dedicated refugium, by the way. That's how my tank is right now. 

What kind of green macros do you like in your DT?

17 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

What kind of green macros do you like in your DT?

Codium, Cactus Caulerpa and Caulerpa Prolifera. 

• Like 2
coralreef20g
On 5/26/2017 at 11:02 PM, Clown79 said:

What kind of tank do you have and whats the filteration method?

What filter media are you using?

I have a 20 gallon Red Sea max nano. As far as filtration goes the rsm is equipped with a filter sock, a skimmer, a bag of carbon, and a couple sponge filters.

I purchased the 75 gpd ro/di unit from brs and have only used water produced by this in my tank. Considering today is a water change I'll test my pre mixed salt water and see if anything stands out.

I believe it may also be important to mention I very rarely turn on my skimmer. I've heard and read from various sources that a nano system such as mine does not need a skimmer. So I'm challenging myself to see how long I can go without utilizing mine. Mainly out of curiousity and because my skimmer is ridiculously loud. Weekly 20-30% water changes and vacuuming the sand bed are my main ways of nutrient export.

Should I cut my feeding down to what my clowns can consume in a minute?

fishfreak0114

Sponges are nitrate factories, so personally I would stop using them.  The crap just gets too deeply lodged inside to get out when rinsing.

I would cut down the feeding, when I feed my fish if I'm using flake, I just drop in a small pinch or two.

• Like 1
coralreef20g
21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Sponges are nitrate factories, so personally I would stop using them.  The crap just gets too deeply lodged inside to get out when rinsing.

I would cut down the feeding, when I feed my fish if I'm using flake, I just drop in a small pinch or two.

I was actually just about to take out and clean my larger sponge of the two as I'm suspecting that may be the source of my nitrate issues. Should I just take it out permanently?..

Quick update: nitrates and ammonia of pre mixed salt tested at absolute 0. Somewhat of a relief knowing this is controllable.

fishfreak0114

I would toss them.  If you're already running a filter sock for mechanical filtration, the sponges are likely just causing problems.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I would toss them.  If you're already running a filter sock for mechanical filtration, the sponges are likely just causing problems.

Agreed. 

Sponges- they are horrible for nitrates even when washed regularly or replaced. Thats probably the culprit.

Buy a bag of filter floss, cut it to size and replace 2 times a week.

Socks need regular cleaning as well. Most have 2 on hand, replace dirty one with clean one and rinse the other one.

Rinse your bag of carbon weekly to remove detritus and replace it at least every 3 weeks.

As for feeding, feed daily small amounts, enough that lasts no more than 1 min.

Also - I am curious, what test kit are you using? and do you have anyone double checking your test results?

For me, I never start to go chasing after the problem or fixing it till I have two different tests done. Some test kits I will have from API and Salifert, and/or I will go to my LFS and pay $2 to have them check some parameters for me.

coralreef20g
15 hours ago, Nart said:

Also - I am curious, what test kit are you using? and do you have anyone double checking your test results?

For me, I never start to go chasing after the problem or fixing it till I have two different tests done. Some test kits I will have from API and Salifert, and/or I will go to my LFS and pay $2 to have them check some parameters for me.

I use Red Sea kits for all of my testing. Although, I haven't double checked my results.

I know this is a present issue in my tank as it extends further than just some data on paper, it's apparent through algae growth on my rocks and glass.

Ah okay. But like the others have said, get rid of sponges and you might want to change out your filter socks more often.

My Innovative Marine came with 2 filter socks, one for each overflow, I got rid of both, and using a caddy to put floss in. I change the floss anywhere from 1-2 times a week.

I am pretty sure it's your filter sock and sponges, causing the issue.

• Like 1