Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquaclear 50 V. Seachem Tidal 55

Drewbedo

Ok so pretend money doesn't matter and you have a choice of one free setup to use, which would you choose:

Seachem tidal 55

or

Aquaclear 50 with intank media basket and surface skimmer attachment

I have no experience with either and hear great things about both, just not sure which to choose and right now I have a chance to get either of these setups for roughly the same price, thanks!

Oceanbox Designs
2 hours ago, Drewbedo said:

Ok so pretend money doesn't matter and you have a choice of one free setup to use, which would you choose:

Seachem tidal 55

or

Aquaclear 50 with intank media basket and surface skimmer attachment

I have no experience with either and hear great things about both, just not sure which to choose and right now I have a chance to get either of these setups for roughly the same price, thanks!

Both are good filters but AC + surface skimmer let you adjust tank's water level if you like to run it up higher. Tidal is fixed at about 1.5-2" down from rim from what I can see if you're looking to utilize the built-in surface skimmer, the only way for it to functional properly is to fill your tank only up to the weir and not submerge it. Also with Tidal there is no way for you to install a smart micro ATO sensor hidden inside the overflow unless there is enough clearance from the waterfall so the sensor doesn't get confused.

So I can fit the sensor in the magnetic skimmer box no problems? And i can get a heater to fit in the media basket next to the floss, so I should be able to keep everything in the ac50 then? I do really like the Tidal but being able to hide everything in the filter would be nice since it's going on a 3 gallon pico and any saved space is greatly appreciated. 

You guys have a Memorial Day sale going on? I'm looking to get the filter, slimmer, media basket, and autoaqua micro ato. 

Oceanbox Designs
4 hours ago, Drewbedo said:

So I can fit the sensor in the magnetic skimmer box no problems? And i can get a heater to fit in the media basket next to the floss, so I should be able to keep everything in the ac50 then? I do really like the Tidal but being able to hide everything in the filter would be nice since it's going on a 3 gallon pico and any saved space is greatly appreciated. 

The AC combos will let you do that but to hide the heater you will need a very small heater, that's the trick. I have a 50watt small enough to fit. The sensor of the smart micro ATO goes into the overflow box via the back wall or the left side of the box (looking at the front), don't install it where there are water overflowing down through it as it will confuse the sensor.

4 hours ago, Drewbedo said:

You guys have a Memorial Day sale going on? I'm looking to get the filter, slimmer, media basket, and autoaqua micro ato. 

Unfortunately there won't be a sale but if you haven't sign up for our newsletters, there is a coupon waiting for you :)

• Like 1

I have the tidal. The surface skimmer works great, my surface is spotless.

The aquaclear surface skimmer sucked. My surface was never clear, it's an eyesore in the tank, a PITA to clean, and broke after 6 mnths