Coral Vue Hydros

12 Gallon Nano

Braun036

3 hours ago, Braun036 said:

Can I razor blade it with it in the tank or do I need to rock out. 

It's always a good time to rock out. :P

So another week has passed. I went to ocean city for a couple of days and I was worried about my tank the whole time.  But when I got home everything still looks good. I am just truly blown away with how fast these corals are growing. Is the rate of fish growth slower. Because I swear they still look the same size when I got them. I took some close up picture of the corals in my tank I hope you enjoy. 

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

• Like 1

Does anyone have idea on where I would place my leather coral I am not sure I like him down in the sand. He seems to be happy there but if you have a suggestion I would like to hear it. Thank you 

Nano sapiens
2 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

Does anyone have idea on where I would place my leather coral I am not sure I like him down in the sand. He seems to be happy there but if you have a suggestion I would like to hear it. Thank you 

Leather coral is happiest with good lighting and flow, but they can take lower levels, too.  Many species are toxic, so best not to have them directly upstream and/or in close proximity to stony corals (if at all possible).  Good idea to run a little GAC with these in a mixed reef to help absorb any obnoxious compounds that might be released.

Okay thank you for the info I did not know that.  I will get on that right away. 

Does GAC mean carbon? If so then I do have carbon running in my tank. Which I change weekly. 

Nano sapiens
5 minutes ago, Braun036 said:

Okay thank you for the info I did not know that.  I will get on that right away. 

Don't mean to scare you as many people keep leathers and stonies together in a mixed reef.  When leathers are stressed, that's when they can release more toxic compounds.  Some stonies have little to no reaction to soft corals that are not in direct contact, others react poorly even if the leather is a few inches away.

Just something to be mindful of if any of the stony corals start looking stressed out.

I might try to move him a couple inches away from the Duncan then. Come to think of it I might just sell the leather back to the store. One I don't like the place it is in and two I don't want him stressing out my Duncan. Or more importantly messing with my GSP 

Nano sapiens
Just now, Braun036 said:

I might try to move him a couple inches away from the Duncan then. Come to think of it I might just sell the leather back to the store. One I don't like the place it is in and two I don't want him stressing out my Duncan. Or more importantly messing with my GSP 

I stayed away from leathers and true soft corals in my mixed reef nano.   At 10g of actual water volume, there's not much water volume there to dilute and not having them means that I don't have to use chemical filtration.

Also consider that leathers grow really quickly and can get huge if not trimmed regularly.  I had a Pink Sinularia in my 55g that grew from a pinky sized frag to the size of a volley ball in ~ 6 months (seems the more I pruned the faster it grew!).

Holy smokes that is huge. I would agree with you though in the two months I have it. The leather has doubled in size. I am sure the LFS will buy it off of me tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone it has been a few weeks maybe even a month since I have been on. Thought I would update you on my tank. So for starters my bubble coral seems to be taking a turn for the worse. Not sure what the problem is everything else is going very well and getting big. All of my water test are coming in great.  I have also started getting a brown spot in the front of my tank on the sand not sure why I vacuum the sand and the next day it will be back. The LFS says it is normal and not to worry about it. Well I hate the way it looks so I am worrying about it. Also for some reason I have notice green bubble algea starting to pop up. Last night I did purchase at emerald crab to help with that problem. Besides all of that everything is going really well. I am really surprised that my Duncan is already growing two new heads. Please feel free to post any advice on my two types of algae problems. Thank you 

IMG_2968.JPG

On 8/5/2017 at 5:36 PM, Braun036 said:

Hello everyone it has been a few weeks maybe even a month since I have been on. Thought I would update you on my tank. So for starters my bubble coral seems to be taking a turn for the worse. Not sure what the problem is everything else is going very well and getting big. All of my water test are coming in great.  I have also started getting a brown spot in the front of my tank on the sand not sure why I vacuum the sand and the next day it will be back. The LFS says it is normal and not to worry about it. Well I hate the way it looks so I am worrying about it. Also for some reason I have notice green bubble algea starting to pop up. Last night I did purchase at emerald crab to help with that problem. Besides all of that everything is going really well. I am really surprised that my Duncan is already growing two new heads. Please feel free to post any advice on my two types of algae problems. Thank you 

IMG_2968.JPG

You say your tests are coming back great. 

Can you post your levels, including phosphate, nitrate, alk and magnesium?

Bubble algae comes in as a hitchhiker, everyone gets it at some point. 

Remove manually (outside of the tank) as soon as you see it. 

Just a quick thought, look in the tank at night and make sure the Hammer and Torch that are above the Bubble Coral aren't putting out long stingers that are zinging it.

Phosphates are 0 nitatres are 0 alkalinity is 8.0 magnesium is 1340 my calcium is 440 and I am getting a good amount of bubble aglea and it is annoying me I am afraid to remove it because it will just spread more. I will look at night and see if that is going on thank you 

IMG_3006.PNG

What are you using to test phosphate?

Safest way to remove bubble algae is to take whatever it's on out of the tank & then carefully remove it.

If it pops put some hydrogen peroxide over the rock or whatever it popped on to kill the spores, then rinse off with a little SW before returning to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...