Top Shelf Aquatics

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

@seabass @Lula_Mae @WV Reefer @Weetabix7

When you guys started, did you have a vision for your tank? A final composition or tableau? I like my tank but it still seems disparate to me. Kind of like I've just got things sitting in there all willy-nilly. 

5 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

I mean I'm fake lol bc i found a local reefer that is taking his tank apart and he's selling me some acans and euphyilia ??‍♂️ so I'll have to make it fit somehow 

qmsfyzr.gif

You're fake? Like Mariah's tits and talent? No comprendo.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

When you guys started, did you have a vision for your tank? A final composition or tableau? I like my tank but it still seems disparate to me. Kind of like I've just got things sitting in there all willy-nilly. 

lmfaooo fake for saying I don't have space in my tank yet planning to add more euphylia ?? 

you speak Español? ?

31 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Not really, my vision was mostly "get stuff in a bigger tank cuz this one is way too small lol. :lol: I just hoped I'd be able to put the stuff I liked together in a relatively cohesive manner. Sometimes it still seems a little willy nilly lol. :)

5 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

@seabass @Lula_Mae @WV Reefer @Weetabix7 When you guys started, did you have a vision for your tank? A final composition or tableau? I like my tank but it still seems disparate to me. Kind of like I've just got things sitting in there all willy-nilly. 

My first tank was totally not planned out.  Anything that caught my eye went into it. If a coral was termed "rare", I wanted it.  And placement was mostly determined by available space.  Little thought went into what ocean it came from or even what the tank would eventually look like.

Nowadays, I put a little more thought into it (like whether it's from the Caribbean or the Pacific, and how I envision the final product).  I imagine it's a little like painting a picture.  I also have more of an appreciation for what I imagine to be more natural looking aquascapes.  Although a typical cubic foot of the ocean, often doesn't resemble a typical reef tank.  Vivid colors aren't as important to me, although I still appreciate them.

Also, my budget for my tanks isn't what it once was, and I'm not in such a hurry to fill the tank.  I like a little more negative space, and bare rock doesn't bother me quite as much.  Right now I'm playing more with macroalgae and anemones than coral, but my interests always seems to change.

I think you'll take what you have learned and apply it to your next tank, and there always seems to be a next tank (but not necessarily a second tank).  It could be bigger, smaller, or just re-aquascaped.  Not that I think your tank needs changing, but change just seems to be the nature of reefing.

5 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

On a fresher note - I pimped out the betta's tank. I was going for 80s tacky. 

:lol: I don't think hashtags were a thing yet.

Oh yeah, the pineapple tree; it looks pretty healthy to me too.  I agree, the frag was probably just mounted that way.  But it looks like it wants to grow upwards, which seems like a good thing.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
14 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

When I set up my tank, my only goal was to keep things alive and healthy.  Being my first tank, I wanted to try keeping a whole bunch of different corals.   Most placement's have been determined by where I can fit things.  As time goes on, my vision for the tank changes.  I still want to keep things healthy, but I also would like to rescape a bit when the dust of recent events settles (gonna be a while), and focus more on the placement of the corals and macroalgae and trying to put things where they look best, instead of just sticking red macroalgae next to another red macroalgae because, hey, it fits.

I've been thinking about a second tank, and whenever that time comes, I will definitely have a more defined end picture in mind.  Already I've sketched out various placements and scapes, and instead of chucking anything that catches my eye in the tank, I'd like to have a more focused look.  I'd like to try and make it as natural appearing as possible.  Macroalgae, RFA's, and maybe a couple softies.

But no, when I started my current tank I had no vision whatsoever.  All I had planned for scaping was to pile in every pound of rock I'd bought in a stable, shapeless wall :lol:

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu
38 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

When I set up my tank, my only goal was to keep things alive and healthy.  Being my first tank, I wanted to try keeping a whole bunch of different corals.   Most placement's have been determined by where I can fit things.  As time goes on, my vision for the tank changes.  I still want to keep things healthy, but I also would like to rescape a bit when the dust of recent events settles (gonna be a while), and focus more on the placement of the corals and macroalgae and trying to put things where they look best, instead of just sticking red macroalgae next to another red macroalgae because, hey, it fits.

I've been thinking about a second tank, and whenever that time comes, I will definitely have a more defined end picture in mind.  Already I've sketched out various placements and scapes, and instead of chucking anything that catches my eye in the tank, I'd like to have a more focused look.  I'd like to try and make it as natural appearing as possible.  Macroalgae, RFA's, and maybe a couple softies.

But no, when I started my current tank I had no vision whatsoever.  All I had planned for scaping was to pile in every pound of rock I'd bought in a stable, shapeless wall :lol:

I have a vision but getting the rock to suit is going to be challenging as I can't see it to pick it out. 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

You could always buy extra rock and hope to get what you're looking for. Or you could break up what you do get with a chisel (note, never use a nice chisel!  Learned that the hard way).

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
10 minutes ago, Madcat said:

Holy!!! How does that happen?!

LOL. I have no idea. Just my luck. Seventy dollar maxi mini meal. Send me a photo of your favorite fish and I'll paint it. 

Just now, thespinningsadhu said:

LOL. I have no idea. Just my luck. He was an asshole anyway. Seventy dollar maxi mini meal. Send me a photo of your favorite fish and I'll paint it. 

Oh man. Sorry for your loss. $70 though?! I thought prices up here were bad.

Wow, you mean there actually is a prize? :lol: That's awesome! I don't think I could decide between Jeff or Puzzle as my favourite fish though... Jeff maybe loses some points because he sits on my clove polyps... How about this pic of Puzzle? It shows his markings so nicely. Thanks!!

IMG_5801.JPG.141a410b91b5b79340cd7c4132015088.JPG

• Like 3
On 8/23/2017 at 11:52 PM, thespinningsadhu said:

For me this was very much a process and something that evolved over time and trying different things. 

(prob awkwardly stated but I haven't Coffee'd enough yet this a.m., deal with it! :P)

In the beginning, my tanks were basic setups and the livestock in them was very much governed by what was available to me. 

I would just snatch up any good deal or anything interesting that I saw. 

So yeah, it was a little hodge-podgey, but through that process I learned a lot, both about what works and what I liked. 

I think that's a process that most beginning Reefers go through. 

During that time I was still very much taking in info and learning, so if some "experienced" Reefer said something was absolutely necessary, I'd get all panicky & think I needed to get whatever that thing was.

Over time I learned that I prefer low-tech, simple setups that are more "natural", but it took me trying a lot of different things to learn that. 

It took me trying all different kinds of equipment to learn what was genuinely necessary and what was a "cool" piece of equipment that might be handy or fun to use, but my tank and livestock could live without. 

It took me "sampling" all different kinds of corals in my tanks to learn that I'm not really drawn to SPS corals, with a couple minor exceptions. 

It's a process, and the kind of Reefer you are evolves over time. 

Kinda like life, now that I think about it!!

On 8/24/2017 at 0:03 AM, thespinningsadhu said:

On a fresher note - I pimped out the betta's tank. I was going for 80s tacky. 

Omg, I love the '80's tacky!!! :flower:

I might possibly appreciate it more cause I lived through the '80's. 

Yeah, I was there, got my Big Hair pics to prove it!!

Hey, don't judge, I needed that can of hairspray, my hair is thick and curly!! 

• Like 5
On 8/23/2017 at 11:52 PM, thespinningsadhu said:

I like to plan things out....... After viewing every 12 gallon long reef I could find online I started to draw out how I wanted my rock work to look.

(I try to be practical and not buy things I'll regret later........ My two deviations from that plan was the Crocea Clam and my Scooter Blenny.).  

I also sketched out how I would like my fully grown reef to look.  

Right now I'm at a year and a half and I'm pretty happy with the results...... except for the damn RFA!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I like to plan things out....... After viewing every 12 gallon long reef I could find online I started to draw out how I wanted my rock work to look.

(I try to be practical and not buy things I'll regret later........ My two deviations from that plan was the Crocea Clam and my Scooter Blenny.).  

I also sketched out how I would like my fully grown reef to look.  

Right now I'm at a year and a half and I'm pretty happy with the results...... except for the damn RFA!  

That RFA is wild, like a wildebeest, always on the move.  Maybe that's what you should call him! :lol:

• Haha 1