Pod Your Reef

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

The tank is crystal clear - even with just the little stock filter on it. 

The unsightly heater will will be in the AC50 once it arrives. 

The back lefthand piece piece of rock will be for a coral that flows and has height (hammer, frogspawn?). 

I like the little tunnel - wish the tank were big enough for a watchman goby. 

IMG_3236.PNG

IMG_3237.PNG

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

THINGS TO REMEMBER IN THE MIDST OF THE EXCITEMENT OF HAVING A CYCLED TANK & A FRESH PAYCHECK

1. when you get the button polyps, put them on their own rock separate from the main rocks as they will take over all your rock. Same for mushrooms, green star polyps, and xenia. 
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I'd mess it up. Believe me. That's why I'm not turning the AC50 into a refugium. 

Can you please tell me why it has to be modded? From what I see here on the forums people have chaeto in it and maybe some rubble. Why can't I just stick some chaeto in their and be done with it? Leave the lid off for the light. Call it a day. 

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I believe el fab was the first to mod the AC filter (might be wrong). The only reason people make their filter a certain way is through prior knowledge and experience. Some people only use their live rock as filtration for smaller tanks (such as reef jars). for my filter I read a lot of articles, watched a lot of videos, and incorporated parts I liked and thought were practical

thespinningsadhu

AquaClear 50 is here and set up! The nano sachet of ChemiPure Blue just kind of bobs around. I've contacted the company asking for advice. The heater fits but I'm going to have to melt a notch  in the lid for the cord. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Just did my first test. And I added a second nano sachet. Haven't heard back from the ChemiPure people. Made a judgement call. May turn out to be a bad one. 

Salinity - 1.022 but I then raised it to 1.024 (at least that's what I think my poor eyes made out)

pH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0 

Nitrate - 20 ppm 

thespinningsadhu

Well, I added some life to the tank. 

Scarlett Legged Hermit crab ? (Cornelius)

Margarita Snail with tons of coralline (Tank)

Two Nassarius Snails ? (Peaches and Herb)

Sexy Shrimp (Ordelia)

Frogspawn (Jerome)

Here's a quick little video if you would like to tell me about the flow: https://quik.gopro.com/v/G3AldeHJAr/ .

He was much bigger and fuller in the store but I know he has to get used to the new house. I'm very happy he is out this much just two hours after placing him in the tank. 

IMG_3269.PNG

• Like 3

It's normal for corals to be a little cranky when moved about or put in a new tank; just give it a few days to settle in and see how it likes where it is. :)

• Like 1
debbeach13

Looks like you ae off to a great start. I still use the same tank as a QT and constantly have to resist making it a reef. Great tank for some sexy shrimp. I know you will enjoy it. I never saw a real difference using chemi pure, chemi pure elite or chemi pure blue. Others may feel different on this but I decided to save that extra money for live stock. You should be just fine using filter floss and some matrix carbon in the ac50. I am a true believer in regular WC 20% min. a week. You can not beat using El Fab's tank for inspiration. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's normal for corals to be a little cranky when moved about or put in a new tank; just give it a few days to settle in and see how it likes where it is. :)

+1 When I first started I always freaked out because my corals wouldn't open up when I first got them. Then I'd fiddle with them and they'd stress out even more :lol:

I keep a coral in one area for a day or two to see if it likes it, then I glue it down and try not to touch it again. I've noticed in established tanks they open pretty quickly. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

I have set up the Fluval 13.5 and moved the residents in. The shrimp and the crab seem exceedingly happy. The two nassarius snails got into an epic fight that was brutal. They both survived. The two bigger shrimp have taken up residence under the frog spawn. 

I wonder if i need the bit of chaeto I have now as it gets no light in any of the chambers in which I would put it. I also wonder if I did the nassarius snails a disservice by getting reef substrate as they don't seem to bury themselves in it like they did in the reef sand. 

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3317.JPG

IMG_3318.JPG

• Like 4

Very nice!  What is the reef substrate, is it crushed coral or something?  They do make submersible LED lights, some people stick those in their back chambers, you might look at one of those and see if you can find one to fit.  You could otherwise tuck the chaeto behind a rock or something for now.  I've never had much luck with chaeto, but in a tank I had early last year, my botryocladia (red grape kelp/macroalgae) went buck wild and was EVERYWHERE lol.  Wish I still had some, it's nice looking!

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Very nice!  What is the reef substrate, is it crushed coral or something?  They do make submersible LED lights, some people stick those in their back chambers, you might look at one of those and see if you can find one to fit.  You could otherwise tuck the chaeto behind a rock or something for now.  I've never had much luck with chaeto, but in a tank I had early last year, my botryocladia (red grape kelp/macroalgae) went buck wild and was EVERYWHERE lol.  Wish I still had some, it's nice looking!

This is the substrate - bunches of broken shells, sand, coral stuff. 

image.jpg

thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

What purpose does Chemipure serve?

Shit if I know but most people here rave about it so I'm using it. Great so far. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

What purpose does Chemipure serve?

That sounds buttholey. I really don't know past that it is filtration. Never read a bad word about it. 

I left the sponge thing in the tank and removed the carbon and biorings and put two sachets of the ChemiPure in their places. The tank is doing well. So far. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

I came home from trading the gonispora with a two headed Duncan and a skunk cleaner shrimp (Marcel). They were on sale! I needed one and had planned on getting one - just not this soon. 

I have a yellow clown goby and Belizian Pink rock flower anemone on order. 

• Like 2

Be aware that sponges in reef tanks can trap detritus and produce nitrates.  A lot of people replace it with filter floss that gets frequently changed.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
15 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Haha. I really never heard of it until here.

I meant my response sounded buttholish. Sorry for any confusion. 

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
25 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Be aware that sponges in reef tanks can trap detritus and produce nitrates.  A lot of people replace it with filter floss that gets frequently changed.

Yeah! You're my PolyFil Princess!

So far I have no significant crap in the new tank. And the nano sachets fit so well and are suspended perfectly by the included sponge. I plan on a yellow clown goby and know he has to be fed every other day (tineh blitz) so may replace it then. 

Here's the thing - I most definitely plan to be vigilant with parameters and such and know that reef keeping isn't for the faint of heart. But dang, sometimes you just want to set it and forget it. (What infomercial did that come from?) This block holds everything perfectly. 

Of course I won't endanger the health of my reef for convenience. I just wanted to kvetch. 

So I wonder - instead of using polyfil with frequent changes how about i remove the sponge block and swish it out in RODI saltwater once or twice a week? I can't see how this would be different than the polyfil - but I don't know anything g yet. 

• Like 1

If you do decide to replace it you can look for a media basket or maybe even a filter floss holder thingie (I've seen one InTank makes) might work to hold your stuff so it's easy to get it in and out.  Some people make media baskets from egg crate.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

The frogspawn has closed up shop. I guess it's tired of the sexy shrimp molesting it?! Can you spot the sexy shrimp butt?

IMG_3365.JPG

Two sexy shrimp, a scarlet reef crab, and a skunk cleaner shrimp all in one shot. 

IMG_3367.JPG

• Like 4