Cultivated Reef

Pic my light

JBM

Old timer here.  Been on the forum a long time,  keeping reefs even longer.  

Lost my 40 breeder to a house fire. Everyone is OK, just lost everything else. 

I used to be a huge,  HUGE diy'er. But losing 15 years of tools,  and going from 1900 sq ft to 700 sq ft means I'm limited to what i can buy.

I have a cycled 5.5g which i would like to become a mixed reef (read: sps, lps, nps softies,  algae,  and a clam).

I always liked the par38 bulbs. But kessil has some cool offerings like the cannon,  and tuna.

Suggestions? 

MainelyReefer

Love kessil, I have multiples but the A80 I have over my 4g would work well for a 5.5 g. I will warn you the gooseneck was too high on my tank and I have to come up with a way to rig it lower, the other lights mentioned are top notch but more$$$ 

For a 5.5G the Par38 would work fine. If $ isn't a huge deal the Kessil, Prime, and Nano-box(my favorite) would be better for those SPS and clam. The Par38 will limit where those can be placed a little more. IMO

Coral compulsion has a par38 thats 35watts, full spectrum, dimmable and covers a surface area of 24x24- that would be plenty for a 5.5

I had a par38 on a 15g.

4 minutes ago, JBM said:

Thanks for the replies. I went with Tuna's par38. Now to just figure out how to hang it 14+ inches off the tank

That's exactly what I have. 

You can get a tall Architect's Lamp off Amazon, it's working well for me. 

• Like 1