inTank Media Baskets

Instant Beneficial Bacteria

lonewonderer

lonewonderer

Hello all, I just have a quick question. I have been keeping freshwater fish for years now and it was great. Now I have my first 28 gallon jbj nano cube for saltwater. My question is that, I know that seeded media and  Beneficial bacteria in a bottle are one of the fastest way to help establish the tank. Does the gunk from a protein skimmer help my new tank grow BB faster? I'm so new to saltwater and still learning. Thank you guys!

SelectedByNature
12 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

Hello all, I just have a quick question. I have been keeping freshwater fish for years now and it was great. Now I have my first 28 gallon jbj nano cube for saltwater. My question is that, I know that seeded media and  Beneficial bacteria in a bottle are one of the fastest way to help establish the tank. Does the gunk from a protein skimmer help my new tank grow BB faster? I'm so new to saltwater and still learning. Thank you guys!

Hmm well gunk is gunk so I wouldn't use that as a basis for bacteria cultures (regardless of if there is beneficial bacteria in there).

• Like 2

I wouldnt skim a new tank.  You need your gunk in the tank.  Dont dump yhe skimmer in there, but turn it off.

You are also not suppose to usr your skimmer after adding bacteria for a couple days 

• Like 3
lonewonderer

I don't have a skimmer, A friend of mine told me that the water from the top of the protein skimmer can help seed the tank. What's your input on it? true or not?

11 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

I don't have a skimmer, A friend of mine told me that the water from the top of the protein skimmer can help seed the tank. What's your input on it? true or not?

I guess in a way, the skimmer crud does contain some bacteria, but it'd just be gross to put it back in there. So I vote no to dumping it back in. Even better, don't run the skimmer while cycling, or if you must just run it low so you're not actually collecting crud, basically just using it for airation (sic). 

Edit: nm I see you don't have a skimmer, yeah tell buddy he can keep his fish poop. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, lonewonderer said:

Thanks. my nitrites at 1ppm and i have a damsel in there. Hope he makes it.

NitrItes are not nearly as toxic as ammonia. Keep dosing the safe as per the directions. You'll be fine. 

Edit: Later down the road you'll wish the damsel didn't make it. ;)

• Like 3

I wouldn't add anyone skimmer gunk, there may be beneficial things in there but also other stuff you don't want.

Not sure how you set up the tank for cycling but there is a difference in method when using liverock or dry rock.

Yup, damsels are aggressive and may cause issues when adding other livestock. 

I'd remove him while you can

• Like 1