inTank Media Baskets

Can't Keep fish alive - 16 Nano

DRSteele75

DRSteele75

I have a 16 Gallon Nano tank that has been up for 9 months. Currently I have a Feeder shrimp, Watchman Goby, Pistol shrimp, a few Mexican Turbo snails, and 5 blue leg crabs.

Water temp is 79 degrees. Current tests - SG 1.025, Nitrates <5ppm, PH 8.0 to 8.2, no Ammonia and no Nitrites.

I have introduced a few clowns, a Royal Gramma all which have died in a few weeks after initiation. I also just recently introduced two Blue Damsels - they lasted 5 days.

All of my other creatures listed above are doing just fine....

Ant thoughts as to why the fish don't make it??? Any advise is appreciated.

Thats very odd.

Your tank obviously went through a cycle.

What water do you use?

Do you acclimate the fish at all?

Are you buying the fish from the same place?

Any signs prior to death? Gasping at the surface, damage to body etc?

• Like 2
DRSteele75

Thats very odd.

Your tank obviously went through a cycle. YES

What water do you use? RO water with SG of 1.025 (I use Coral Reef, and or buy 1.025 water from my Aquarium people)

Do you acclimate the fish at all? Yes - 1 to 3 hours using a drip method - usually at night when tank is dark.

Are you buying the fish from the same place? Usually Yes, but the Damsels were purchased from another shop just to try something different.

Any signs prior to death? Gasping at the surface, damage to body etc?   No real signs until of late - a little gasping at the surface but no damage to any of the body...the clowns I had seemed to have a slight white film?

Water flow seems to be proper... I'm a newbie to this, but my son has an established 75 Gallon with no issues so I try to take his advice.

Also cycled the tank with live rock.

If there is something physically on your fish, it could be a parasite, fungus, ick or something along those lines.  Those can linger in your tank longer than you might think. Sometimes fish are not well acclimated at stores and or were in transit for too long and so some of the fault may not be yours.  Gasping at the surface might indicate too little oxygen exchange.  

I would take a break from introducing fish for a few weeks and then try again.  

Any signs of something on the body could be parasite or bacterial.

Some last as long or longer than 8 weeks without a host.

If fish are gasping, sounds like lack of oxygen or ammonia.

Do you have a powerhead in the tank with surface agitation?

What do you use in the filter chamber?

Sorry for all the questions but to help you, we need lots of info

Fish don't need 3 hrs acclimation. 

Most temp acclimate by floating bag for 20-30 mins and then add the fish.

Sensitive inverts need drip acclimation

The pistol is another thing. It may be the cause. 

DRSteele75

Do you have a powerhead in the tank with surface agitation?   I do not...

What do you use in the filter chamber? Biomax (Middle) and Carbon (Bottom) with some filter material (Top)

Any signs of something on the body could be parasite or bacterial. - Only noticed on the clowns, not on others...

I do hear the Pistol "clicking" from time to time - but mostly he "bulldozes" with the watchman standing guard.

DRSteele75

Well, an AHAH moment - my powerhead was pointed downward and was not creating enough surface agitation! My surface was basically flat and was not letting the bad gasses escape or exchange. I'll try this for a while and then try to add some damsels to test....

Surface water movement is important, that could be the cause, lack of gas exchange/oxygen.

With your filter media, make sure to change the filter floss 2 times a week, rinse carbon weekly and change out every 3 weeks.

I don't know much about biomax, so I'm not certain on the instructions for that.

2 fish wilk be the limit in a 16g, so if you add damsels, that will be all. Plus they can be very aggressive so ensure the 2 you get are capable of being housed together.

smeagol108

you may as well go buy a small koralia powerhead or something.  the one that runs the AIO isn't gonna be enough for the tank if you intend to keep corals etc..  A little extra flow never hurt anyone.

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

2 fish wilk be the limit in a 16g, so if you add damsels, that will be all. Plus they can be very aggressive so ensure the 2 you get are capable of being housed together.

I beg to differ on this 2 fish thing but to each his own. 16 gallon running for two years here, (24x14x11) with 5 inhabitants.  was six.  (Small watchman goby and pistol, azure damsel, two clowns, pink streaked wrasse).  SPS, LPS, Clam, Softies. No issues.  you do the maintenance and choose the right fish you can do whatever you want.  Its all about the maitenance and nutrient export and requirements of the fish you choose.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, smeagol108 said:

you may as well go buy a small koralia powerhead or something.  the one that runs the AIO isn't gonna be enough for the tank if you intend to keep corals etc..  A little extra flow never hurt anyone.

I beg to differ on this 2 fish thing but to each his own. 16 gallon running for two years here, (24x14x11) with 5 inhabitants.  was six.  (Small watchman goby and pistol, azure damsel, two clowns, pink streaked wrasse).  SPS, LPS, Clam, Softies. No issues.  you do the maintenance and choose the right fish you can do whatever you want.  Its all about the maitenance and nutrient export and requirements of the fish you choose.

90% would not recommend more than 2 small fish and a goby. I am one of them.

Most recommend 4-5 fish in 25g.

I've had 3 fish in a 15g and I'm meticulous with my routine, I wouldn't push anymore than 3. 

The tanks aren't big, it causes stress and aggression as well as nutrient issues..