Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hitchhiker's Cove - Mini-re-boot

Thunder Goose

Thunder Goose

I'm inserting the basic information about my setup here.

Equipment

Tank: IM 14 Peninsula

Return Pump: Sicce Silent 0.5 

Light: AquaMaxx NemoLight (LED)

Current: Koralia Hydor 250 power head

Heater: AquaView 50 W

ATO: Tunze Osmolator nano

Organisms (including live rock): [unk is unknown, unk sp is unknown species, sp. indicates genus is known but species is not]

The Package from Tampa Bay Saltwater (rock, sand, CUC, macroalgae, sponges)

Sponges:

Orange finger sponge

Orange elephant ear sponge X 2

Unk Red sponge

Yellow ball sponge

Encrusting red sponge (unk sp)

Encrusting social tunicate

Orange tunicates

White sponges (?)

Macroalgae

Caulerpa sertularides macroalgae

Botryocladia sp. Red Grape Macroalgae

Caulera sp. (peltata?)

Corals

Corky Sea Finger Gorgonian

Purple Sea Feather (?) Gorgonian

Cup coral

Unk. Coral

Invertebrates:

Serpent Star (High Priestess of the Cult of Cthulhu, Ruler of the Darkness Beyond Nightmares, or, as we call her, Sally)

Longspine sea urchin (?)

Mystery sea urchin (at least 1)

Emerald Crab

Unk shrimp

Peppermint shrimp

Decorator crab (at least 2)

Pederson anemone shrimp (2)

Red legged hermit crabs

White legged hermit crab (1)

Misc snails

Fish

Goldline Blenny Malacoctenus aurolineatus

Green Banded Goby

Other

Red Flower Anemone

OMG you might be thinking - what kind of a disaster must have occurred?

The Mantis Shrimp variety. see page 5 for details.

Original first post

I'm 6-months into this reefing hobby and pretty happy with my RedSea Reefer 250. But I've been feeling like I missed out by using dry rock to set it up. So, as soon as my last scheduled fish are out of quarantine I'm going to set up another reef tank.

Don't tell The Husband!

Here's the plan - I want to get very wet live rock, probably from TBSaltwater, full of hitchhikers. What I will add after that will depend on what hitchhikers I end up with! Really. If I get a mantis shrimp it will be a mantis tank. If I get a bunch of gorilla crabs it'll be a crab tank. I hope to include regional species including, possibly, mangroves and gorgonians. Or colorful macroalgae.

But first. Decisions have to be made. I currently have a fallow 5 gallon set up (the same tank @Ikoechle is using as a mantis tank - 

and I have a ~ 20 gallon acrylic tank, slightly scratched and well aged, that is my current QT. It's 23 inches X 13 X 16 high.

Question 1: which tank do I use? Is 5 gallons large enough? Is 20 too big? Should I buy an in-between size like the one being used in the 100 days contest?

Once I answer that question I'll move on to filtration and lighting. The 5 gallon has a "sump" on one side, on the 20 right now I have a HOB (Whisper 3 - designed for a 55 gallon tank). I don't want to add an external sump, space is an issue.

Opinions are welcome!

• Like 4

I agree, and a nice AIO tank makes it a little easier to manage equipment. The 20 w/ HOB can be used, but then you don't have a good QT tank.

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

Excellent, thanks for the responses. It sounds like it's time to start browsing for an AIO tank. :D

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

Lighting questions.

I'm probably going for an IM peninsula 14 gallon tank. I'd like to set it up with gorgonians, macroalgae. The question now becomes lighting. My inspiration tank is Brad's Mangrove Tank. I don't have room for a tank this large but I'm hoping I can do a smaller version. Probably without the mangroves. Any suggestions for lighting? I'm looking at either the Kessil A80 or the AquaMaxx NemoLight. Anyone have experience with these and could give me pros and cons?

I don't want to spend a LOT on this tank. I bought a RedSea Reefer 250 in December and really can't justify another big financial outlay. I got paid some extra money recently (for a report I did at work that is normally outside my usual job) and am trying to keep the cost within that "bonus" income. I won't, but I can at least pretend to try.

Brads-Mangrove-Tank-1-770x427.jpg

Image from https://reefbuilders.com/2016/11/02/brads-mangrove-tank-macro-algae-dreamscape/

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

Lighting questions.

I'm probably going for an IM peninsula 14 gallon tank. I'd like to set it up with gorgonians, macroalgae. The question now becomes lighting. My inspiration tank is Brad's Mangrove Tank. I don't have room for a tank this large but I'm hoping I can do a smaller version. Probably without the mangroves. Any suggestions for lighting? I'm looking at either the Kessil A80 or the AquaMaxx NemoLight. Anyone have experience with these and could give me pros and cons?

I don't want to spend a LOT on this tank. I bought a RedSea Reefer 250 in December and really can't justify another big financial outlay. I got paid some extra money recently (for a report I did at work that is normally outside my usual job) and am trying to keep the cost within that "bonus" income. I won't, but I can at least pretend to try.

Brads-Mangrove-Tank-1-770x427.jpg

Image from https://reefbuilders.com/2016/11/02/brads-mangrove-tank-macro-algae-dreamscape/

Between those two, I'd pick the Nemolight. 

My reason for that is that the A-80 will give you more of a spotlight effect and you need something longer, which the Nemolight will provide. 

Take into consideration that for a tank like you are describing, you don't need strong light. 

What would likely work best is a setup that has some areas of lower light and some areas of moderate light. 

Non photosynthetic gorgs won't need the light, will just need good particulate food. There are commercial mixes for this and I'd also recommend Live Phyto.

Red Macros generally like lower light with only a few reds actually needing moderate light. 

Green Macros will like moderate light, generally speaking. 

Double check me on this one, but I think moderate light is enough for Photosynthetic Gorgs. 

Somewhere is having a sale on the Nemolights right now as well, it may be Marine Depot. 

• Like 2

I have a 20 Long with a HOB filter (Aquaclear 110) and had nothing but gulf live rock in it for months. Even after adding a bunch of frags, I have to say my favorite creatures in the tank came from the live rock. I swear I make new discoveries every day, it's exciting and fun.

• Like 3
Thunder Goose

I ordered an IM 14 Peninsula (the same tank as the 100 days contest, too bad the timing didn't work out for me to join them). I've heard horror stories about their pumps so I'll be looking to buy a different pump. Since I'm not in the contest I'm not limited to the pump that came with it. I'll start by looking in my basement for old tank supplies, I may have a small pump somewhere, the question will be - is it the right size?

I'm also thinking about water movement. I like the idea of trying to create surge like movement in the tank. Should I try one of those gyre-type powerheads to create a tank wide movement along the length? I'll need some controller. What I might do is have it on for a few minutes, then off. Water is pushed toward one end of the tank, then allowed to flow back. Anyone have any experience doing something like this?

I'll move my QT fish into the DT probably this weekend and then I'll have a space in my office for the new tank (and the QT will go into the basement). Getting excited.

i would go with sicce for a replacement.  The noise is hit and miss with them IME. But after 3 months my sicce 1.5 quieted considerably.  The drivshaft is also metal instead of plastic (like IMs which is why they keep breaking) and you can buy replacement parts to keep on hand although you likely wont need it)

And obviously I vote TBS.  If you get the "package" which is what I did, you can request a mantis and they may honor the request.  Iw would order between 10 and 14 gallons.  I ordered a 15 gallon package and was able to fill two tabks (14 and 5 gallons) plus there was about 10 pounds of LR I didn't use.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

I ordered an IM 14 Peninsula (the same tank as the 100 days contest, too bad the timing didn't work out for me to join them). I've heard horror stories about their pumps so I'll be looking to buy a different pump. Since I'm not in the contest I'm not limited to the pump that came with it. I'll start by looking in my basement for old tank supplies, I may have a small pump somewhere, the question will be - is it the right size?

I'm also thinking about water movement. I like the idea of trying to create surge like movement in the tank. Should I try one of those gyre-type powerheads to create a tank wide movement along the length? I'll need some controller. What I might do is have it on for a few minutes, then off. Water is pushed toward one end of the tank, then allowed to flow back. Anyone have any experience doing something like this?

I'll move my QT fish into the DT probably this weekend and then I'll have a space in my office for the new tank (and the QT will go into the basement). Getting excited.

I use a Jebao PP-4 wave maker powerhead in my tank to create wave-like motion. Works great, and they're inexpensive. Also comes with a controller. You can adjust the speed and pulse rate. 

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

Thanks for all the great advice! If all goes well I'll get the new tank wet in about 2 weeks.  :D

Good to know about "The Package" being a bit too large. I'll go with the smaller size, then. I've heard so many good things about TB Saltwater I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

• Like 2
Thunder Goose

Got my IM 14 Peninsula and I'm starting to set things up. 

One problem.

Anyone have advice on how to get the residue

5936ff3e1331a_sticker1.thumb.jpg.8ff6a4f4572987d0270c33346f685b14.jpg

of all

5936ff579ee65_sticker2.thumb.jpg.8ba1757e2e6b84a91d29f5359e3a3686.jpg

these stickers

5936ff822cf33_sticker3.thumb.jpg.a51aa25cdfa5eca58f38c650cd19eb58.jpg

off?

[Actually only the first image stickers and where the plastic wrap was taped to the glass left residue. Still ugly.]

Thunder Goose

Equipment test. I filled the tank with water and turned on all the equipment to see if it worked and how noisy it is. Everything looks good. 

Tank: IM 14 Peninsula AIO

Light: AquaMaxx NemoLight (LED)

Replaced return pump with Sicce Syncra silent 0.5

Pump: Coral Box QP-5

Heater: Aqueon 50 W I had sitting around

DJ style power strip (I love being able to switch off components without unplugging them)

I also ordered "The Package" from TB Saltwater (arrival date TBD). It's so much fun to set up a new tank! I just wish I'd been able to do this a bit earlier and join the 100 days contest. Oh, well, that contest did inspire me to go ahead and do my first nano reef tank.

59389ba52c018_20177juneequipmenttest.thumb.jpg.e279cbbadc51fe6f8223e54f73775951.jpg

• Like 10
Thunder Goose
1 minute ago, Christopher Marks said:

You're off to a great start @Thunder Goose! Did those stickers give you any trouble in the end?

What comes in Part 1 of the package? Rock and sand I imagine? 

My husband is a chemist and he brought something home from work. Not sure I'd recommend that route for the average reef keeper, though.

The Package includes: 

• 1 pound per gallon Live Sand.
  • 1 Serpent or Brittle star per 50 gal.
  • 2 pounds per gallon Live Rock.
  • 2 Tiger Tail Cucumbers per 50 gal.
  • 1 Blue Leg Hermits per gal.
  • 1 Peppermint shrimp per 50 gal.
  • 1/2 Turbo Snail per gal

Yep, Part 1 is the sand and rock. Then you wait for the cycle (which is usually quite fast) and send for Part 2 - more rock and critters. It all comes from the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast. This company has been putting rock into a leased area of the ocean for over 2 decades now (not sure of exactly how long). The rock often comes filled with Hitchhikers - hence the theme of this tank. I think it'll be fun to discover what the ocean is sharing. http://tbsaltwater.com/index.html

• Like 5
Thunder Goose

I got my shipment notification from TBS! My base rock and sand should arrive this afternoon. My tank is up, I've checked all the equipment and everything looks good. I still have to install the ATO (Tunze osmolator). I may need to pick up a container to use. I don't have enough space to use a 5-gallon bucket.

593e96d54c624_201712June.thumb.jpg.14e56c5732ba3446ec1cb58156b1a5b4.jpg

Updates either later today or tomorrow depending on how long it takes me to get everything in the tank.

Woo-hoo!

• Like 2
  • Thunder Goose changed the title to Hitchhiker's Cove - NEW Picts June 12
Thunder Goose

Whoop whoop! Part 1 of The Package arrived today. It's looking good so far. I have seen one tiny crab (it scuttled off before I could ID it), one serpent star, a few tiny, tiny urchins (two of them I've seen moving, one vanished so hopefully) and I have barnacles and nice macroalgae and maybe an anemone unk sp (unknown species). No great pictures yet, here's what I managed to take.

593f0f1413156_201712Junejourneyhome.thumb.jpg.a38c46cfab6564d18acee3602cd90dfb.jpg

I ordered for a 10 gallon so only one box today.

593f0f36ea404_201712Junesand.thumb.jpg.c15b1092e4f2e7a33438711884301c21.jpg

I really like the sand. It looks like real Florida sand. Now I wish I'd used this is my other tank.

593f0f736f9b8_201712Junelimpet.thumb.jpg.633cc35f9c7ee74db7d523f40111ec48.jpg

A nano-sized limpet.

593f0f89ba6cb_201712Junetriob.thumb.jpg.692a7c8ec21e15860963d2e5a5931dc3.jpg

The trio - an urchin, a brittle star and a shell. 

593f0fb8c2a21_2017June12snail.thumb.jpg.37e790bd40f9cb97a0ae7f37899e3a38.jpg

Somewhat better photo of shell. Any ideas on ID?

Uploads full.... more next post...

hmmm... It still says I'm over my limit for uploading. I hope that's not a permanent limit. Are my files too big?

You'll just have to wait for more!

• Like 6
Thunder Goose

This morning I spotted a small (tiny) red brittle/serpent star. Cool hitchhiker. And I can upload a few more photos! Woo-hoo.

We'll start with a FTS. Obviously this is not the final rock arrangement. I just set them down willy-nilly until the tank has cycled. [Ammonia was 0 this morning so nothing yet...]

594050b820552_201712JuneFTS.thumb.jpg.ebaaaa6ae2e87b43fa29d854dcc88528.jpg

Last night The Husband checked the shipping bag and found a spaghetti worm (score!) and a tiny hermit crab.

59405103bb2fe_201713Junehermitcrab.thumb.jpg.8873153d9215c80079cbc33f0d1739d3.jpg

She thinks she's Queen of the World. Or at least Queen of the Tank.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

This morning I spotted a small (tiny) red brittle/serpent star. Cool hitchhiker. And I can upload a few more photos! Woo-hoo.

We'll start with a FTS. Obviously this is not the final rock arrangement. I just set them down willy-nilly until the tank has cycled. [Ammonia was 0 this morning so nothing yet...]

594050b820552_201712JuneFTS.thumb.jpg.ebaaaa6ae2e87b43fa29d854dcc88528.jpg

Last night The Husband checked the shipping bag and found a spaghetti worm (score!) and a tiny hermit crab.

59405103bb2fe_201713Junehermitcrab.thumb.jpg.8873153d9215c80079cbc33f0d1739d3.jpg

She thinks she's Queen of the World. Or at least Queen of the Tank.

So cool!  Can't wait to see more. 

• Like 1

sweet! my little urchin is growing fast

that snail you asked about is a whelk.  I have found it likes to eat things like barnacles and mollusks so I moved the one I found to the mantis tank.   You can tell the difference between it and nassarius vibex (good snails) is the snorkel (the snout thing).  Meleve's Reef has a good comparison of the two.  

Just google nass vs whelk and it should pop up.

• Like 1

do you have any pics of your anemone?  I was hoping for one, but no luck. :P  lol

I have had so much fun with the TBS package.  I have plans for a bigger tank with TBS now ;)

Keep seahem prime on hand and an ammonia alert badge.   My cycle took 7 days with no free ammonia reading but I did have a small nitrite spike so I know a cycle did happen.  

• Like 1
  • Thunder Goose changed the title to Hitchhiker's Cove - Mini-re-boot