SaltCritters.com

Haley's IM 10 Nuvo Black - 10/17 FTS

haleschristine

haleschristine
11 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

Where in Houston are you moving to??

Probably Conroe/The Woodlands area where the fam bam is located. Still up in the air though, that'd be a hell of a drive to downtown every morning lol. 

• Like 2
haleschristine
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Now that I'm having success with z's & p's for the first time in my reefing career, I am also starting to build my collection as they are just so cute!  Check out Natalia's retired zoa garden for a nice collection of them!

I am lovingggg them and all the different varieties. I checked out Natalia's post and those are some #goals. Loved her tank.

• Like 1
mbarton2010
2 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Probably Conroe/The Woodlands area where the fam bam is located. Still up in the air though, that'd be a hell of a drive to downtown every morning lol. 

That's where I Live!!

• 3 weeks later...
haleschristine

@Mkbarton - You'll have to fill me in on the FB groups for the Houston area. I have been getting most of my stuff from people here in Dallas parting out their tanks, sad to see them go but happy for me to get stuff cheaper :)  I'm actually headed that way this weekend to look at apartments, etc.

@Lula_Mae - Finally switched out the Tetra filter for the Aquaclear, so far it is ten times easier to work with :) 

Any advice on getting my tank ready for me to be gone for 5 days? My roommates will also be out of town, so there will be no one to look after it. I'm nervous to come home to a mess....:scarry:

3 hours ago, haleschristine said:

@Mkbarton - You'll have to fill me in on the FB groups for the Houston area. I have been getting most of my stuff from people here in Dallas parting out their tanks, sad to see them go but happy for me to get stuff cheaper :)  I'm actually headed that way this weekend to look at apartments, etc.

@Lula_Mae - Finally switched out the Tetra filter for the Aquaclear, so far it is ten times easier to work with :) 

Any advice on getting my tank ready for me to be gone for 5 days? My roommates will also be out of town, so there will be no one to look after it. I'm nervous to come home to a mess....:scarry:

Five days!  Eek!  Not much advice except I hope you have an ATO and a timer for lights.  If you have anyone who can stop by to check and make sure that everything is ok and no equipment malfunctions have happened, and feed the fish, that would be ideal.  Five days is a good while for no food for them too.

Glad you're finding the AquaClear useful!  I generally like them a lot, very versatile.

haleschristine

The lights are on a timer, but no ATO :-/

Just found out the roomie isn't leaving until Monday, so I'll have him look after things until then. So they will only be left to their devices for a day. Thank goodness.

• Like 3
mbarton2010
21 hours ago, haleschristine said:

The main FB group I'm in is the Greater Houston Aquarium Club. It's a closed group so just send a request to join and you'll be approved 

haleschristine

Realized I haven't posted any new photos in awhile. So here we go....

i am currently dealing with brown brown powder in the sand constantly. And green powder algae on the glass also constantly. I get home and clean it only for it to be completely replace by new algae the next day. No idea what's going on. 

IMG_8259.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

The algae will settle down give it a little more time but keep cleaning your glass regularly once it is suborn on there you gotta take a blade to it to get it off.

side note I like the rescape good job on it! 

haleschristine
15 hours ago, gogeta said:

The algae will settle down give it a little more time but keep cleaning your glass regularly once it is suborn on there you gotta take a blade to it to get it off.

side note I like the rescape good job on it! 

Thanks! I am liking it a lot more than the previous scape. 

The algae is driving me crazy and is bright neon green almost. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of it settling down? 

27 minutes ago, haleschristine said:

Thanks! I am liking it a lot more than the previous scape. 

The algae is driving me crazy and is bright neon green almost. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of it settling down? 

edit - just realized if thats the green in the photos your talking about. 

so the brown is usually a diatom bloom. however its hard to tell from my device the photos are not that clear. if its quite thin as in a layer not puffed out sometimes coraline starts out being green before purple.

haleschristine

Bright green algae... starting to be a pain and is driving me crazy. Every day I get home from work (around 5-6pm) and the entire tank is coated. Clean it that night, wake up and everything's still clear, get home from work same story repeats itself. 

Parameters

Amm-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-5

ph-8.4

dkh-9

cal-440

Phosphate-0

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8355.JPG

haleschristine
59 minutes ago, gogeta said:

Ok that is definitely not the green that sometimes is the start of coralline.

how long are your lights on for?

I use the M1 preset lighting schedule for the current orbit. They are on for 10 hours-I attached the preset options below. 

IMG_8403.PNG

On 6/26/2017 at 4:44 PM, haleschristine said:

Check out the MARSH forum. They put on huge events and the community is super nice and really helpful. If you get the chance check out the stores: FJW, That Aquarium Place, and Oceanlife. Hope you love it here in the H! 

haleschristine

@gogeta - I am using the API test kit

@Lula_Mae - I have been using the water from my lfs. Figured it might be his water, tested it and everything good. Even switched over to the expensive petco Saltwater just to be sure and still no change. I haven't ventured in to making my own yet. 

@jstj0sh - I will definitely check them out once I get settled in. Thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, haleschristine said:

Ok maybe for at least your nitrates and phosphates pick up a Red Sea or salifert test kit. API tends to not be so reliable. Your lights are on for a reasonable amount of time shouldn't be too long. I'd say if you are reading zero nitrates the algae is just consuming them.

maybe do a few water changes pretty frequently and see if that can get it under control. I have a bit of chaeto in my rear sump to help keep nitrates low. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, haleschristine said:

@Lula_Mae - I have been using the water from my lfs. Figured it might be his water, tested it and everything good. Even switched over to the expensive petco Saltwater just to be sure and still no change. I haven't ventured in to making my own yet. 

@jstj0sh - I will definitely check them out once I get settled in. Thanks!

Sometimes LFS aren't so good about changing the membranes on their RO/DI filters and you can end up with TDS and stuff in the water that causes algae issues and other problems.  Some members have found LFS water salinity to be drastically off, too.

• 4 weeks later...
haleschristine

It's been awhile since I've posted some pics so here we go. Not sure how you guys take such great pics! It seems impossible!

IMG_9021.JPG

IMG_9022.JPG

IMG_8988.JPG

IMG_8993.JPG

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8919.PNG

• Like 2