ReefCleaners.org

Picking an ATO

moosubi

Hi all, shopping for an external ATO, and narrowed down to 2 choices and then Neptune finally releases...  Been looking at the Tunze Uni, AVAST ATO, and now, of course the Neptune ATK.

I do already have an Apex, so some of the advanced programming of the ATK is redundant, and I like the dual optical switch, but I don't like the fact (as it seems) that water is delivered through the float switch.

I hear literally nothing but good things about the Tunze (except the alarm if you fill too slow, but that shouldn't be a problem in a 30g system).  I'd be giving up one optical read, but get a smaller float switch and I can do programming in the outlet to limit the run time.  I don't know how the controller handles it's power being cut like that repeatedly though...

The last choice would be the AVAST ATO.  It's actually my favorite of the bunch, and I would wire an extra float switch.  I've heard good and bad things about the pressure switch though, and was wondering if anyone had experiences with it?  It's also the cheapest option on my list with a comparable pump.

What would you go with and why?  Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, moosubi said:

Hi all, shopping for an external ATO, and narrowed down to 2 choices and then Neptune finally releases...  Been looking at the Tunze Uni, AVAST ATO, and now, of course the Neptune ATK.

I do already have an Apex, so some of the advanced programming of the ATK is redundant, and I like the dual optical switch, but I don't like the fact (as it seems) that water is delivered through the float switch.

I hear literally nothing but good things about the Tunze (except the alarm if you fill too slow, but that shouldn't be a problem in a 30g system).  I'd be giving up one optical read, but get a smaller float switch and I can do programming in the outlet to limit the run time.  I don't know how the controller handles it's power being cut like that repeatedly though...

The last choice would be the AVAST ATO.  It's actually my favorite of the bunch, and I would wire an extra float switch.  I've heard good and bad things about the pressure switch though, and was wondering if anyone had experiences with it?  It's also the cheapest option on my list with a comparable pump.

What would you go with and why?  Thanks in advance!

I have the Avast ATO hooked up on my Fusion 40 for 2 years and I have never had a problem.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Addinali said:

I have the Avast ATO hooked up on my Fusion 40 for 2 years and I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the info.  I actually ended up gambling on the Neptune ATK.  I like that it comes with an FMM with 2 extra switch ports, which frees up the other switches on my BoB for other fun stuff!