Pod Your Reef

Power outages

GregEmmitte

GregEmmitte

What do you guys do in case of a power outage from storms or you spent too much on coral and missed your power bill? ??

No but seriously any suggestions other than wiring a converter to a car battery?

36 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

What do you guys do in case of a power outage from storms or you spent too much on coral and missed your power bill? ??

No but seriously any suggestions other than wiring a converter to a car battery?

Little piss ant power outs are no big deal, just stir the water or get a battery powered air stone. 

21 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Generator? 

Ecotech battery backup on mine, good for well over 24hrs

That's even better. 

Honestly though, if a real deal power out hits, like multiple days without power, either a gas powered gennie or kiss your stuff goodbye, and there's a chance you'd be snowed in and run out of gas anyway. 

• Like 3

A few nights ago we lost power for 6 hours, and everything was fine. 

Winter is when i worry, our tanks dont look good when they're cold. I fpund put the hard way. 

• Like 3

I've left heaters off all night by accident and when I woke up all my fish were moving really slow lol but they were fine. I'm sure there are some cheap generators out there, here in socal harbor freight tools sells lots of cheap things.

I just use a car battery and converter. Power outages aren't that common here.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Battery backup is the easiest solution, whether it's a battery powered air pump, a circulation pump with battery backup, or a BIG battery pack like this, it all comes down to how much money you're willing/able to throw at the insurance. This big battery could probably power circulation pumps and a heater for quite awhile, but it's a pricey $499! Beyond that you're looking at a proper generator to get you through a multi-day outage.

Anker battery pack for aquarium51LUVjExs9L.jpg

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Squared said:

I've left heaters off all night by accident and when I woke up all my fish were moving really slow lol but they were fine. I'm sure there are some cheap generators out there, here in socal harbor freight tools sells lots of cheap things.

I just use a car battery and converter. Power outages aren't that common here.

And that's just a few hours without heat. 

An extended outage cuts lights and circulation too. Even with a nice generator, certain things to keep self and family safe/comfy would be my priority anyway. 

It's a shitty thing to have happen. 

Anyone here have to weather that hardcore blizzard that hit New England years ago, Sandy I think?

• Like 2

A few hrs isn't a huge deal. Run battery powered airstones. I've had 6 hrs in the summer with only stirring the water with no ill effects.

For temp control.

Frozen water bottle to cool in summer

Hot water in bottle to warm and wrap tank in blanket to insulate.

For long periods of outages, generator and that will only last for so long as you will need it for survival like 1891Bro mentioned.

• Like 1
GregEmmitte
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Battery backup is the easiest solution, whether it's a battery powered air pump, a circulation pump with battery backup, or a BIG battery pack like this, it all comes down to how much money you're willing/able to throw at the insurance. This big battery could probably power circulation pumps and a heater for quite awhile, but it's a pricey $499! Beyond that you're looking at a proper generator to get you through a multi-day outage.

Anker battery pack for aquarium51LUVjExs9L.jpg

That's actually perfect. Not just for the tank but it's other usefulness as well.

thanks guys!

GregEmmitte
5 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

And that's just a few hours without heat. 

An extended outage cuts lights and circulation too. Even with a nice generator, certain things to keep self and family safe/comfy would be my priority anyway. 

It's a shitty thing to have happen. 

Anyone here have to weather that hardcore blizzard that hit New England years ago, Sandy I think?

A few years back we had hurricane Ike cut power and water for a week. I've got large gas powered generators for that, the fridge, fans, human survival etc. 

I "second" the many things said about--all very good methods.  Additionally, consider the fact that corals are shipped to LFS so while a power outage is not ideal, the livestock can it for a while.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have an APC battery backup that I have my filter and power heads plugged into. It wont last forever (about 2 hours) or even as long as a generator but I live on the 11th floor of an apartment and I think the landlord would frown at me if I started up a gas powered generator in an unit without a balcony. ;)

• Like 2
mbarton2010

Yeah with hurricane season here I might invest in a small gennie to put outside my bedroom window. We have a giant welding rig/generator that we run our AC, fridge and freezer off of but Idk if I'd be able to run an extension cord to my room 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, zohar78 said:

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-peak700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

hmm.. looks like they got a new model..     I don't know anything about it, how loud it is.. etc...  but a few gallons of gas and oil mix, looks like it would last a bit.

Don't waste your money. If it's two stroke it's loud AF. No way something that cheap puts out clean power either, prolly fry sensitive electronics, it'd run basic life support, but I wouldn't plug anything like fancy controlled led fixtures into it. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, zohar78 said:

thanks.. i was mainly thinking about a pump and or heater...

That it would do. But none of those DC pumps though.