Coral Vue Hydros

switch from HOB filter to skimmer?

samnaz

Say I wanted to switch from using an AC110 to using an Aquamaxx HOB instead, any precautions I should be taking?

Should I slowly discard the filtration media (purigen and chemipure) or can I just ditch it all and setup the skimmer?

I see no reason for caution. 

Chemipure isn't meant to be kept for mnths and the media bags should be rinsed weekly.

The only thing is how do you use carbon to remove toxins with just a skimmer?

I do not have a skimmer, but my understanding is that they should take care of whatever your HOB is currently does.  I believe skimmers take a couple to a few days to begin producing the kind of skimmate that indicates "gunk" is being removed.  If you are hesitate and have the room, maybe use both then remove the HOB once skimmate is clearly doing the job?  

smeagol108

a skimmer will not replace a HOB or filtersock. yes they will removed dissolved organic waste in the water through skimming, but they will not effectively remove physical debris like filter floss does.  Yes using a skimmer may eliminate th eneed for smething like purigen, but it wont eliminiate the need for floss, and having the ability to run carbon when needed (to remove toxins from water) or any other media is something I would want to keep available. 

• Like 1

I will also add I really like my HOB.  While I have not ever tried a skimmer, I have gone with the nothing but powerhead setup, an intake "trickle down" style box filter, a surface skimmer, and I keep coming back to my ancient BioWheel 110.  For those who are a bit older, it was sold in the 90s.  A friend gave it to me and I have used it off and on for over 20 years.  I do not use the bio wheel, but do use a carbon cartridge.  You can buy generic ones online for pretty cheap.  They pull out so much gunk and are easily and thoroughly cleaned with a garden hose.  I hide the heat in the compartment along with a bag of phosguard.   The water fall effect helps promote oxygen exchange as well as general water movement/agitation.  I used to scrub it to keep it free of salt creep and algae until it dawned on me to let the algae grown there.  Essentially, I have a miniature algae "forest" the water moves across as it dumps back into the tank.  this greatly helps reduce the algae that grows in the tank.  

• Like 1
smeagol108
Spoiler

its an algae scrubber!  yes hobs are versatile and useful for all reasons you mention (personaly I am huge fan of algae scrubbers so keep it going!)