Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Evo 13 - AI or Nanobox?

clownin around

clownin around

Hey guys, my second thread whoop whoop!

Saved up some shiny pennies and am looking into a significant lighting upgrade for my Evo 13, I am interested an AI or Nanobox fixture but not completely sure on which model would be best.

So basically from what I have gathered either the AI prime HD or Nanobox Tide Plus would work on my tank but limit higher light demanding corals to under the focal point of the led fixture.

Here's where I was wondering, If I chose to save up and spent a little more on a Hydra 26 HD or Nanobox Duo Plus, would the coverage of my tank significantly improve with the two point sources and would the coloration of corals (Torch, Frogspawn, Zoas, planned future sps) be greater than from a single fixture from the respective brand? I'm also worried that both of these might just be overkill for my tank and i'm overthinking things.

I really like the wifi control of both companies and that was a major draw for both choices.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Nanobox lineup but my LFS has the hydras and being able to see them in person I do really like how it makes their corals coloration pop! 

For reference the total tank dimensions are 22in L x 11.5in W x 15in H. The Evo's AIO back compartment does cut out on the length tho so I'm guessing that the useful length is around 19", but I'm currently unable to measure and report.

Either one will work on that size tank and you won't be limited to corals or placement. 

Many go overkill on lighting and then running the light on low percentages because they start frying their coral.

I have a prime on my 15g with no issues or shadowing and its still only at 80%

The Ai Prime covers 24" and so does the HD, your tank isn't 24" long nor very high.

Of course I will say NanoBox but either will work just fine for this tank. @ninjamyst has a really nice 13g Fluval paired with the Tide that looks incredible. 

Hope this helps!

-Dave

• Like 2
clownin around

Haha I'm leaning that way Dave, Would you recommend the 9 or 15 inch gooseneck? I was thinking the 15 would help with spread if I wanted to raise the light more but If I end up only keeping it a couple inches off the water I'd hate to have to fold the extra space on a 15. I believe other tanks I've looked at had the 15..

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, clownin around said:

Haha I'm leaning that way Dave, Would you recommend the 9 or 15 inch gooseneck? I was thinking the 15 would help with spread if I wanted to raise the light more but If I end up only keeping it a couple inches off the water I'd hate to have to fold the extra space on a 15. I believe other tanks I've looked at had the 15..

15" for sure. 

-Dave

clownin around

You have an awesome build man, was actually one of the first threads I looked at when going over the nanobox lights. Gonna have to post some tank pics when I get setup too for some before/after on the corals.

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
jjmccloud2011

Awesome tank, I'm at the same crossroads u are with lighting now but leaning on the the prime HD any regrets going with a single puck vs double on this

1 hour ago, jjmccloud2011 said:

Awesome tank, I'm at the same crossroads u are with lighting now but leaning on the the prime HD any regrets going with a single puck vs double on this

Double would be extreme on this size of tank unless you plan an all high light coral tank like acros. 

3 hours ago, jjmccloud2011 said:

In case you weren’t aware this thread is almost four years old. That being said, a single ai prime would do ya good!