Top Shelf Aquatics

Trav's Box O' Squishy - Kessil A360X Powered

Travis

Took a short break but Im back. Ordered a Cad Lights Artisan II 70g and all the goodies to get wet from marinedepot.com. 

58f1d9f26c7c7965b1a6e21bdb0383e3.jpg

Stay tuned!  I am going to start out with fish only and base rock. I will eventually add in some softies. I want to keep things simple this time around. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Can't wait to see what you do with this, nice to see you back!!!

Thanks!  This will be my largest tank to date. Im thinking puffer....!!! :naughtydance:

• Like 2

Trigger systems 5gal ato reservoir is in along with the Marine Depot branded 2 float switch ato kit!!!

I want this tank to be as simple as can be. With my last tank I went all out with all the latest and greatest high tech equipment. Constantly changing it out for what I thought would make my tank "better". I eventually began to feel like I was keeping equipment, rather than keeping fish and coral. I had lost the true meaning of the hobby. I had put more focus on equipment selection than on husbandry.

I will be using basic equipment from the start, no fancy do all controllers with programs to write, just simple electronics that work out of the box. 

With this tank, I want the fish to be the main attraction, not the equipment. I want to accent the fish with simple, easy to care for coral. I don't want this tank to become a chore, I want it to be enjoyable all of the time. 

Maybe Im just a nerd lol, what do you all think?

• Like 3

Best float switch holders I have used yet. Super strong magnets for easy mounting and a top notch snail guard. Not bad for a "store" brand!

ec6ca082a842ac1cd0fe64ec91b97691.jpg

And the reservoir. 

1adba68bcde48859d38efcc670edcd19.jpg

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Travis said:

Trigger systems 5gal ato reservoir is in along with the Marine Depot branded 2 float switch ato kit!!!

I want this tank to be as simple as can be. With my last tank I went all out with all the latest and greatest high tech equipment. Constantly changing it out for what I thought would make my tank "better". I eventually began to feel like I was keeping equipment, rather than keeping fish and coral. I had lost the true meaning of the hobby. I had put more focus on equipment selection than on husbandry.

I will be using basic equipment from the start, no fancy do all controllers with programs to write, just simple electronics that work out of the box. 

With this tank, I want the fish to be the main attraction, not the equipment. I want to accent the fish with simple, easy to care for coral. I don't want this tank to become a chore, I want it to be enjoyable all of the time. 

Maybe Im just a nerd lol, what do you all think?

Actually, I LOVE this. 

Maybe I'm a Nerd too? :huh::D

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

nice start.  will probably turn into high end SPS tank?  hahah

Only if I don't want to relax anymore!! Lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Nice to see another Cadlights tank thread!  What fish do you plan on adding?

Leopard weasses and butterflies. Maybe a trio of anthias. 

Nervous about shipping. The tank is currently on a truck somewhere between California and Louisiana :unsure:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ew_fish said:

Can't wait to see the aqua scape for this!

Yeh im worried that I didnt get enogh rock. We'll see what it looks when the tank gets here. 

On 5/26/2017 at 11:01 PM, Travis said:

Best float switch holders I have used yet. Super strong magnets for easy mounting and a top notch snail guard. Not bad for a "store" brand!

ec6ca082a842ac1cd0fe64ec91b97691.jpg

And the reservoir. 

1adba68bcde48859d38efcc670edcd19.jpg

I'm curious, why did you go with 2 float switches instead of one?

7 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm curious, why did you go with 2 float switches instead of one?

I will set one higher than the other, completely out of the water. It will act as a fail safe. If the lower float malfunctions and fails to stop the pump from filling up the sump, the upper one will shut down the pump. Redundancy. :D

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Travis said:

I will set one higher than the other, completely out of the water. It will act as a fail safe. If the lower float malfunctions and fails to stop the pump from filling up the sump, the upper one will shut down the pump. Redundancy. :D

Ok, thx. 

Believe it or not I've never used an ATO (other than myself, lol) before, so this helps me understand it better. 

3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ok, thx. 

Believe it or not I've never used an ATO (other than myself, lol) before, so this helps me understand it better. 

Oh wow. Yeh I wont setup a tank without one. Not only is it convenient, but it also keeps your salinity much more stable which is good for the animals. 

• Like 2
On 5/27/2017 at 10:25 PM, Travis said:

Yeh im worried that I didnt get enogh rock. We'll see what it looks when the tank gets here. 

I feel like it's harder to scape a larger tank.  I can't find a rock to tank ratio that I like yet.  I ordered extra rock so I would have more options but I still haven't quite found my flow with it yet. 

49 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Yeah a new tank. I like your start up plan. Hope you really enjoy this tank.

Thanks! Me too!! :happy:

22 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I feel like it's harder to scape a larger tank.  I can't find a rock to tank ratio that I like yet.  I ordered extra rock so I would have more options but I still haven't quite found my flow with it yet. 

This is my first big tank so yeh I think aquascapping will be a challenge. I do know that I want my rock work in the center of 36x24 footprint. That way I dont get dead spots. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Travis said:

Thanks! Me too!! :happy:

This is my first big tank so yeh I think aquascapping will be a challenge. I do know that I want my rock work in the center of 36x24 footprint. That way I dont get dead spots. 

Aquascapping can be a pain but it has to be the funnest thing to do. 

• Like 1