Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trav's Box O' Squishy - Kessil A360X Powered

Travis

3 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

surprised your tang can't keep up with the algae

He's completely uninterested in it lol. Goes bananas for the veggie flakes though lol

8 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

Looking good man! Do you have a LFS where you could pick up a small CUC to tide you over until ReefCleaners to dry up a bit?

While I'm here, can you check out my thread? Got a couple pieces in my Cadlights setup I'm not sure what to do with. 

No LFS around me at all. I have to. Buy everything online :(

I'll go checkout your thread!

Well I attacked the algae from multiple angles and have beat those demons back to hell where it came from! Lol

My Euphyllia frags from the WWC booth at MACNA. 

65610b1b2a68de67e0ddc05b9614fc4c.jpg

48f608d8889cb9a8996d33859ff4e919.jpg

a5b491988d02919d38e4caf55466380e.jpg

a7b49c83a75b2f3de9d1df1d42d21e9a.jpg

Sheila using live snails and hermits to line her den entrance. 

b3f4b75fd5599faeed3a5b86b9374c1c.jpg

Super red shroom from Jeromy. 

d76543a1c86e8015335d4929b582d675.jpg

And a finally algae free FTS!

982907b8271e950c1750caa853582068.jpg

To rid the tank of algae, I employed several methods.

1. 3 days lights out

2. Changed salts to Brightwell NeoMarine

3. Added pods and dosing phyto daily from Algae Barn

4. Added a real cleanup crew from Reef Cleaners

5. Added Tom the tomini tang. He loves hair algae. 

6. Last but most importantly, I balanced out my N and P levels. PO4 was undetectable and I used Brightwell NeoPhos to bring it up to 0.08ppm. NO3 is at 8ppm. 

48 hours algae / dinoflagellates free. 

Only took a couple of weeks to get back to an algae free tank.

• Like 2

Just found this tank build! (I am finally a bit slow at work, so I have time for N-R again... shhhh) What happened to your old tank? It was the damsel tank right? 

This one looks awesome, and I am trying to follow the simplicity philosophy too! 

Glad your dinos went away quickly, lucky you caught it in its infancy. I only learned of the imbalanced nutrient = dino "theory", and been dosing PO4 for almost 4 weeks now. It got better, now getting worse, trying to be patient and wait it out.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update :)

Well a few changes have been made. 

I added a 3rd Orbit IC strip and 3D printed some tank mounts for them. The extra light helps light up this tank much better than just two strips. The tank is 24” front to back. 

8c4782520712a6a5b9d0a3e7407946d4.jpg

The second change is the tank got infected with either ich or velvet. Leaning toward velvet because of how quickly it killed. Went from 13 fish to 5 in less than a week. So I am currently 3 weeks into a 90 day fallow period. The 5 remaining fish are in a hospital/qt where they have been treated with Cupramine. They no longer show signs and are back to eating like hogs. Now to wait out the life cycle of the parasite in the display tank.

1d6a5cec6a19e8e4616efe2ca4105d4d.jpg

And finally a current, fishless, FTS. 

24809bd90837a0d5218f999617e182d5.jpg

On 10/6/2017 at 10:55 AM, Orangutran said:

Just found this tank build! (I am finally a bit slow at work, so I have time for N-R again... shhhh) What happened to your old tank? It was the damsel tank right? 

This one looks awesome, and I am trying to follow the simplicity philosophy too! 

Glad your dinos went away quickly, lucky you caught it in its infancy. I only learned of the imbalanced nutrient = dino "theory", and been dosing PO4 for almost 4 weeks now. It got better, now getting worse, trying to be patient and wait it out.

Ah! Missed this post! Yeh I sold the other tank, had to do some home remodeling. 

The N/P imbalance has been a tank saver for me. Dino free for nearly 2 months now. That, and adding some pods and feeding them phyto. Biodiversity is key when battling dinos. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Travis said:

Time for an update :)

Well a few changes have been made. 

I added a 3rd Orbit IC strip and 3D printed some tank mounts for them. The extra light helps light up this tank much better than just two strips. The tank is 24” front to back. 

8c4782520712a6a5b9d0a3e7407946d4.jpg

The second change is the tank got infected with either ich or velvet. Leaning toward velvet because of how quickly it killed. Went from 13 fish to 5 in less than a week. So I am currently 3 weeks into a 90 day fallow period. The 5 remaining fish are in a hospital/qt where they have been treated with Cupramine. They no longer show signs and are back to eating like hogs. Now to wait out the life cycle of the parasite in the display tank.

1d6a5cec6a19e8e4616efe2ca4105d4d.jpg

And finally a current, fishless, FTS. 

24809bd90837a0d5218f999617e182d5.jpg

Ah! Missed this post! Yeh I sold the other tank, had to do some home remodeling. 

The N/P imbalance has been a tank saver for me. Dino free for nearly 2 months now. That, and adding some pods and feeding them phyto. Biodiversity is key when battling dinos. 

Sorry to hear about the fish loss!! That sucks!!! Hopefully the 90 days go by quickly. I wouldn't know what I would do if something like that happened to me. 

Love how the orbit leds are so low profile!

It's been a month and a half since I "balanced" my system, and it's now 90% dino free! Instead of adding pods (which I don't have a reliable source), I added some LR from the LFS which did the trick. I love my tank again! :) 

3 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Sorry to hear about the fish loss!! That sucks!!! Hopefully the 90 days go by quickly. I wouldn't know what I would do if something like that happened to me. 

Love how the orbit leds are so low profile!

It's been a month and a half since I "balanced" my system, and it's now 90% dino free! Instead of adding pods (which I don't have a reliable source), I added some LR from the LFS which did the trick. I love my tank again! :) 

Awesome!

• 2 months later...

Thought this torch was a gonner. It fully receded for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden these little juicy nubs reappeared. It’s getting bigger every day. Funny how its rebirth coincided with me starting ATI Essentials. Think that’s just a coincidence? Idk...:)

A81B5210-6348-466A-8D23-C26D75167D29.thumb.jpeg.41889a6519a88e00d8b5001d66236f7e.jpeg

On 5/27/2017 at 12:32 PM, Travis said:

Well, guess I can at least start to make water!

121ed3b79f74c41afe74a76941e4811b.jpg

Ok I just saw this and am disappointed that there are no details of your water making bucket.  Im trying to figure out what's going on here. Mines just a pump thrown in a Brute with a float valve from my  RO/DI. Yours looks way cooler than mine. 

Ha! Yes this is my DIY pride and joy, lol. 

I have a Mag 5 built into the can that can circulate the water to mix by keeping the top ball valve closed and the lower one open. When I want to pump water out I close the bottom and open the top. 

I found the pics of my draft design and testing pic. 

F793A817-1892-4956-9AB6-C2930ADED7B3.jpeg

3FC78A2F-E62D-4444-B6B1-9ACB74C07D6A.jpeg

B4CA5B5E-366B-4984-A94F-CE7E3ADA3289.jpeg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, DCUEVAS74 said:

This is one impressive epic build.   Great tank.  Good luck with the build.

Thank you!

I gave Triton a try but had a huge dinoflagellates outbreak. I stopped that and I am running ATI Essentials now. The corals are responding really well. 

• Like 1

I like that new scape! The negative space between the rock work does a lot for the look.

Very nice build. I'll be following along. 

Looks like the fish QT went well! Did all five survivors make it?

1 minute ago, Justind823 said:

I like that new scape! The negative space between the rock work does a lot for the look.

Very nice build. I'll be following along. 

Looks like the fish QT went well! Did all five survivors make it?

Thanks!

Yes they all made it through QT just fine!  The Tomini Tang started to exhibit fin rot toward the end of the quarantine but just a few weeks after being reintroduced to the display he has fully recovered. ;)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone still follows this thread... But here is an updated FTS

[IMG]

Current fish list:
Tomini Tang
Yellow Tang
Blue Damsel
Melenarus Wrasse
Occ. Clows x2
Honey Damsel
Bangaii Cardinal
PJ Cardinal
Blue Green Reef Chromis x2

Heading to a local frag show this weekend, Hope to come back with the goods!

• Like 4

Just found this thread and the tank looks awesome. Pretty impressive how creative you are with the brute can and the light brackets! This is the next tank I want to get. The dimensions seem awesome, so it's nice to see one looking so good, can't wait to see the new goodies!