Pod Your Reef

40b rescue tank.

Nidilsky

A little heavier nitrates today between 1 and 5 ppm.

Both Micromussa are budding like crazy.

Both fuge and tank are loaded with pods.

I think have a shrimp as well! About 1/8 of an inch long, saw it while looking over my favia. Don't know the where the heck that came from.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nidilsky said:

A little heavier nitrates today between 1 and 5 ppm.

Both Micromussa are budding like crazy.

Both fuge and tank are loaded with pods.

I think have a shrimp as well! About 1/8 of an inch long, saw it while looking over my favia. Don't know the where the heck that came from.

Wow, cool!!!!

You can do a lugol's dip on the favia to help it heal and recover, and feeding it will also help. 

I use Kent Marine lugol's iodine, got it off amazon. 

Do dip outside of tank, use one cup tankwater, 2-3 drops lugol's, for 3-5 mins then return to tank. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, cool!!!!

You can do a lugol's dip on the favia to help it heal and recover, and feeding it will also help. 

I use Kent Marine lugol's iodine, got it off amazon. 

Do dip outside of tank, use one cup tankwater, 2-3 drops lugol's, for 3-5 mins then return to tank. 

Thanks! 

51 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

I think my feather duster just spat out a baby! Is that how they do it?

Maybe it pooped!

9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe it pooped!

HA! nope, it was definitely a feather duster. looked like it came from my Hawaiian.

3 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

HA! nope, it was definitely a feather duster. looked like it came from my Hawaiian.

Oh wow!  And the original duster is still in his tube?

YParameters are stable.  

Water change was a flipping disaster. Has to be a better way to vacuum the bed.

Ric is so beautiful now, looks 8 million times better. Once the water clears I'll post a FTS.

I did buy a bird's nest. Serious, top of the tank action. 

I have decided to get a wrasse after 3 separate discussions at L.A. They have a possum wrasse that is cute enough to have a new home. 

I have added some LR to the fuge directly beneath my mangroves, which I will transfer to the display once they attach and grow tall enough. I cleaned the fuge as well.

Noted some algae growing on the roots of my mangrove. Research to be done, baby.

• Like 2

It seems that I am doing something right. Everything seems to be healthy and growing. Microalgae is being held in check by the macros.

Possible exception: my macros are healthy, but not flourishing. Have yet to start dosing the reef plus. Will start on monday.

Installed my RODI system under my kitchen sink and ran a line to the basement and put the resin down there. The drinking water is fantastic, but have yet to use the RODI since I still have 10 gallons of the store bought stuff.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nidilsky said:

YParameters are stable.  

Water change was a flipping disaster. Has to be a better way to vacuum the bed.

Ric is so beautiful now, looks 8 million times better. Once the water clears I'll post a FTS.

I did buy a bird's nest. Serious, top of the tank action. 

I have decided to get a wrasse after 3 separate discussions at L.A. They have a possum wrasse that is cute enough to have a new home. 

I have added some LR to the fuge directly beneath my mangroves, which I will transfer to the display once they attach and grow tall enough. I cleaned the fuge as well.

Noted some algae growing on the roots of my mangrove. Research to be done, baby.

Like this little beauty?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

It seems that I am doing something right. Everything seems to be healthy and growing. Microalgae is being held in check by the macros.

Possible exception: my macros are healthy, but not flourishing. Have yet to start dosing the reef plus. Will start on monday.

Installed my RODI system under my kitchen sink and ran a line to the basement and put the resin down there. The drinking water is fantastic, but have yet to use the RODI since I still have 10 gallons of the store bought stuff.

I had some Red Macros turn pale on me and the Red Titan develop white areas in my Dinky and the Brain tank. 

Saw a total turnaround when I starting dosing Reef Plus, and adding Mg has helped too. 

I have enough Macros that they really suck the Mg out, esp when they're growing and flourishing. In my 15g I've been adding one capful of Reef Plus every other day and 1 capful of Magnesion daily while I try to get the Mg up to where I want it. Once I get it to 1350 or so I should be able to lower my dosage of Magnesion somewhat. 

If you see Red Macros turn pale or pink adding iron can also help. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I had some Red Macros turn pale on me and the Red Titan develop white areas in my Dinky and the Brain tank. 

Saw a total turnaround when I starting dosing Reef Plus, and adding Mg has helped too. 

I have enough Macros that they really suck the Mg out, esp when they're growing and flourishing. In my 15g I've been adding one capful of Reef Plus every other day and 1 capful of Magnesion daily while I try to get the Mg up to where I want it. Once I get it to 1350 or so I should be able to lower my dosage of Magnesion somewhat. 

If you see Red Macros turn pale or pink adding iron can also help. 

My mangrove use Mg by the bucket, I think to separate salt from the water. 

Note: buy a Mg test.

You think water changes and esv are insufficient? 

Just now, Nidilsky said:

My mangrove use Mg by the bucket, I think to separate salt from the water. 

Note: buy a Mg test.

You think water changes and esv are insufficient? 

It depends how much macro you have in there. If your mangroves truly are using a lot of Mg, u will need to supplement. If you add more macro than what you have now, you will need to supplement a little. I have to supplement a decent bit, but I also have a lot of Macro for my volume of water.

2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

It depends how much macro you have in there. If your mangroves truly are using a lot of Mg, u will need to supplement. If you add more macro than what you have now, you will need to supplement a little. I have to supplement a decent bit, but I also have a lot of Macro for my volume of water.

So far: red titan, halimeda, maidens hair,  grape kelp, chaeto and mangrove. 

I'm pretty sure the crabs have changed. They are exhibiting extremely destructive behavior.  Probably, the same thing happens to all animals as they age...they realize, "I can effing eat that! Yeah, f**k that guy, I gonna eat that!"

I have a 3.5g tank just sitting there....

I just found one of em hanging off my bird's nest.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

I'm pretty sure the crabs have changed. They are exhibiting extremely destructive behavior.  Probably, the same thing happens to all animals as they age...they realize, "I can effing eat that! Yeah, f**k that guy, I gonna eat that!"

I have a 3.5g tank just sitting there....

I just found one of em hanging off my bird's nest.

Skip setting up the tank and have them for dinner? :unsure::lol:

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Skip setting up the tank and have them for dinner? :unsure::lol:

Yep. They did their job.  Time for a new home. I took some shells and put em in the 3.5 . Now, they will see the error of their ways...pribably not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's saying "FEED MEEE"!  Spike is too cute!

I just fed 'im before that pic. 

Do you happen to know if Spike'll eat pods?