Cultivated Reef

40b rescue tank.

Nidilsky

After 20T pressure leak.

Move was an unqualified success: no casualties of my higher order species.

40 gallon breeder tank. 

36in coralife lunar aqualight h.o. t5

3.5 gallon aqualine hob fuge w sicce microplus pump.

Ac70 hob filter (sponge and floss only, using as a 3rd powerhead) 

2 koralia 425 powerhead.

Aqueon 100w (display)

Aqueon 50w (fuge).

Livestock:

2 ocellaris clowns 

2 green banded gobies 

1 pictus blenny

1 Duncan

1 blasto merletti 

2 acan lords 

2 trumpet/candy cane

2 nassaris 

2 turbans

4 Scarlett reef crabs(nope, they stay)

1 Feather duster.

Algae:

Red titan

Grape kelp

Halimeda

Newly recovered maidens hair

Chaeto (in the fuge)

2 mangroves (in the fuge, for now)

Ugly, but they are all happy.

1495577143516521018280.jpg

• Like 3

Ammonia <.25

Nitrites <.25

Nitrates 0

dkh 7.3

Alkalinity 2.62

Phosphate DNT

Calcium approx 420

Magnesium DNT

Note: presence of a white, fluffy algae on one of the crabs...Rufus(the coolest fish on the planet) ate some.

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Calcium >420

Rufus is displaying some unusual behavior. Camping out beside my feather duster.

Dosed 2 part at .5 usual dosage

Mangroves have each grown 1 in. +

Chaeto has doubled in size.

Noticeable increase in pod population in the fuge.

Both acans have budded(2 heads on 1, 1 on the other)

Both heads of my trumpets have grown new mouths.

Duncan is still in a holding pattern, considering moving it's rock lower in the tank.

Pretty sure 1 of my green banded gobies is prego. Might need to get something going for that.

Favia looks wonderful, but no real growth.

Favites is starting to grow over it's plug.

Maidens hair macro is back in spades.

Pruned halimeda, looks a million times better.

Grape kelp looks super healthy, the red titan has finally taken hold and no longer find it stuck to the back of one of my powerheads. 

Added a 600 koralia and removed ac70.

6 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Calcium >420

Rufus is displaying some unusual behavior. Camping out beside my feather duster.

Dosed 2 part at .5 usual dosage

Mangroves have each grown 1 in. +

Chaeto has doubled in size.

Noticeable increase in pod population in the fuge.

Both acans have budded(2 heads on 1, 1 on the other)

Both heads of my trumpets have grown new mouths.

Duncan is still in a holding pattern, considering moving it's rock lower in the tank.

Pretty sure 1 of my green banded gobies is prego. Might need to get something going for that.

Favia looks wonderful, but no real growth.

Favites is starting to grow over it's plug.

Maidens hair macro is back in spades.

Pruned halimeda, looks a million times better.

Grape kelp looks super healthy, the red titan has finally taken hold and no longer find it stuck to the back of one of my powerheads. 

Added a 600 koralia and removed ac70.

Love this update, sounds like things are super healthy!!!

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

And here. 

1495997915857826294887.jpg

I like that Duncan!!

The Macros look just a little pale, you might try adding either Reef Plus for nutrients to feed them or some iron. 

Everything looks really good on the whole though!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I like that Duncan!!

The Macros look just a little pale, you might try adding either Reef Plus for nutrients to feed them or some iron. 

Everything looks really good on the whole though!!

The titan by the Duncan? Or allem? 

The stuff by the Duncan was pinched in between 2 rocks to hold the original in place, it was total eaten by the turbos I used to have, except a wittle, tiny bit...which grew back:D!

54 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

The titan by the Duncan? Or allem? 

The stuff by the Duncan was pinched in between 2 rocks to hold the original in place, it was total eaten by the turbos I used to have, except a wittle, tiny bit...which grew back:D!

Not the one by the Duncan, the ones on the other side of the tank that I sent you. 

Unless the lighting was just making them look paler in that pic or something. 

On 5/28/2017 at 4:40 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Not the one by the Duncan, the ones on the other side of the tank that I sent you. 

Unless the lighting was just making them look paler in that pic or something. 

No, you're right...the kelp looks pale. The red titan looks like it always has, though. You suggest supplements? Hmmmm. Do you think doubling the calcium part of the 2 part I dose? It does contain iron and magnesium.

Parameters of the tank are the same. Zeros on the big 3, calcium 420+. Still need to get a magnesium test, want to keep the mangrove happy.

Considering the next step of what critters to fill in the upper portions of my tank. Soft corals? Gorgonians? More LPS? Maybe something more challenging? I will be sticking with the 5 fish I have for now.

I will be waiting at least a month to decide, as my work schedule is effing brutal. Please, feel free to offer any advice as you see fit.

Oh, Rufus is back to normal. He was stressing for a day or 2. Realized my water level was way down and my SG was 1.027:unsure:. ATO? Nawww, I got this!

21 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

No, you're right...the kelp looks pale. The red titan looks like it always has, though. You suggest supplements? Hmmmm. Do you think doubling the calcium part of the 2 part I dose? It does contain iron and magnesium.

Nah, I wouldn't double that. 

Just get some Reef Plus and add a capful in a couple of times a week. 

I actually add a capful every other day, but I have a lot more Macro in my tank. 

4 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Parameters of the tank are the same. Zeros on the big 3, calcium 420+. Still need to get a magnesium test, want to keep the mangrove happy.

Considering the next step of what critters to fill in the upper portions of my tank. Soft corals? Gorgonians? More LPS? Maybe something more challenging? I will be sticking with the 5 fish I have for now.

I will be waiting at least a month to decide, as my work schedule is effing brutal. Please, feel free to offer any advice as you see fit.

Oh, Rufus is back to normal. He was stressing for a day or 2. Realized my water level was way down and my SG was 1.027:unsure:. ATO? Nawww, I got this!

Glad Rufus is okay!!!

Soft Corals, Gorgonians and LPS all sound good!!!! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Was looking at some more macros today. Ulva (not vulva...stupit autocorrect), scroll algae, blue hypenae (sp?). Fuge stocking?

Lol!!!

I'd stick Ulva in the fuge and the other two in the display. 

If you're getting more Macros I would definitely get the Reef Plus. It has both trace elements and nutrients in it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Lol!!!

I'd stick Ulva in the fuge and the other two in the display. 

If you're getting more Macros I would definitely get the Reef Plus. It has both trace elements and nutrients in it. 

K. Ordered some. Considering putting a snail or 2 in the fuge...problem is no lid.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

Was looking at some more macros today. Ulva (not vulva...stupit autocorrect), scroll algae, blue hypenae (sp?). Fuge stocking?

Autocorrect gets me all the time lol.

Once was texting my husband about Blowing Rock, a town near Boone in the NC mountains, and autocorrect changed Rock to Rick... :rolleyes:  :blush:  :lol:

Oh, and more macros are always good. ;)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

K. Ordered some. Considering putting a snail or 2 in the fuge...problem is no lid.

So don't put Nerite Snails or Periwinkles in there, mebbe just a single Trochus or couple Cerith. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Autocorrect gets me all the time lol.

Once was texting my husband about Blowing Rock, a town near Boone in the NC mountains, and autocorrect changed Rock to Rick... :rolleyes:  :blush:  :lol:

Oh, and more macros are always good. ;)

Heh. Who doesn't like Blowing Rick? Been there so many times...wait!!?

I guess my goal was to create a balance where the tank could essentially take care of itself...it's tough.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

So don't put Nerite Snails or Periwinkles in there, mebbe just a single Trochus or couple Cerith. 

It was a thought.  How i have it set up, it is hard to get a scrapper back there. It would need to climb the wall, but not exit the fuge.

Well. My fuge has a new critter. I came home to find Bones (the first animal I got, Scarlett reef crab) eating my favia. Not just "nipping" at it, but straight eating it. He ate about an 1/8 of the favia. Fuming!!!

Hope you like your new home, Bones. DICK!

2 minutes ago, Nidilsky said:

Well. My fuge has a new critter. I came home to find Bones (the first animal I got, Scarlett reef crab) eating my favia. Not just "nipping" at it, but straight eating it. He ate about an 1/8 of the favia. Fuming!!!

Hope you like your new home, Bones. DICK!

Oooh what a jerk!  I had a zebra hermit once that harassed the heck out of everything in my tank!  Finally banished him to a 1 gallon with a piece of LR that barely got topped off.  He eventually died and I wasn't even sad.  Not sure what that says about me lol. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Oooh what a jerk!  I had a zebra hermit once that harassed the heck out of everything in my tank!  Finally banished him to a 1 gallon with a piece of LR that barely got topped off.  He eventually died and I wasn't even sad.  Not sure what that says about me lol. :unsure:

That was the finally straw with him. He also ate my maidens hair when I first got it and killed a nassaris snail. He is lucky he didn't meet the flushable tank.

1 minute ago, Nidilsky said:

That was the finally straw with him. He also ate my maidens hair when I first got it and killed a nassaris snail. He is lucky he didn't meet the flushable tank.

:lol: I couldn't quite bring myself to flush the little turkey but I sure wasn't keeping him in the tank any longer!  I'm sure he'll grovel with gratefulness as he gleefully tackles your snails or macros or whatever he wants in the fuge lol.

• Like 1