ReefCleaners.org

Montipora: Show some love for your Monti's

mitten_reef

1 hour ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Montipora Spongodes

An underrated Montipora in my opinion! Hopefully I get some good growth from this guy!

Screenshot_20170621-110431.png

Nice. It looks a little like strawberry shortcake acro.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
16 hours ago, JcSH2o said:

I'm super interested in a plating monti for my new tank coming up. 

I'm curious about their needs for the rock base to grow on... like how big is required etc... And can they be effectively 'pruned' into growing in a certain direction? 

They're gorgeous, and I think I have just the spot for one in my scape. :P

For the most part, as long as you have a sturdy rock base, you should be fine. Plating monti will eventually encrust and secure itself to the rock you put it on, they don't just plate outward. 

As far as growth goes, even light and even flow will give you the best chance for uniform, symmetrical shape (see @Asureef's examples).  The right amount of light, somewhere in the midrange, will also coax them to plate upward in a fan-like shape, not sure if that's called "whirling".  On the other hand, I have a starburst cap frag that is sitting on a frag rack with a bunch of acros (up near the light), well that frag is plating downward at the moment :unsure:.  I believe they're very "prune-able", especially when fully attached to your rock scape.  

Monti cap are some of the easiest SPS you can get started with. Once it gets growing though, keep an eye out for the Ca and Alk levels. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

For the most part, as long as you have a sturdy rock base, you should be fine. Plating monti will eventually encrust and secure itself to the rock you put it on, they don't just plate outward. 

As far as growth goes, even light and even flow will give you the best chance for uniform, symmetrical shape (see @Asureef's examples).  The right amount of light, somewhere in the midrange, will also coax them to plate upward in a fan-like shape, not sure if that's called "whirling".  On the other hand, I have a starburst cap frag that is sitting on a frag rack with a bunch of acros (up near the light), well that frag is plating downward at the moment :unsure:.  I believe they're very "prune-able", especially when fully attached to your rock scape.  

Monti cap are some of the easiest SPS you can get started with. Once it gets growing though, keep an eye out for the Ca and Alk levels. 

Thanks much that helps a lot! I see these grand spiraling monitcaps and kept wondering how much of that was actually attached to the rockwork. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2017 at 4:11 PM, dpoltsdsu said:

Montipora Spongodes

An underrated Montipora in my opinion! Hopefully I get some good growth from this guy!

Screenshot_20170621-110431.png

I remember that one.  I had to pull out one side of my scape to kill it.  Once it gets going, it's a very aggressive grower.  

• Like 1
MockandRoll

I got this one at my LFS and can't find another picture of it on the web. Anyone see this variation of green skin, orange polyps and blue rim? Also has an interesting skeleton that grows up almost like a stalagmite.

20170719_205221-01.thumb.jpeg.a8f27c94a7d38e21477b03c7004564c4.jpeg

• Like 6

Sunset

sunset_monti_050417.jpg

Mystic sunset. Just got rid of this 3x2 piece recently for $10. 

mystic_sunset_with_palisgrandis_050417.j

RR Crazy T

rr_crazy_t_062817.jpg

JF Beach Bum

jf_beach_bum_062817.jpg

Orenji danae

orenji_danae_062517.jpg

Grafted setosa

grafted_setosa_072917.jpg

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Any grown-out pics of these guys? 

JF beach bum on the left and RR crazy t on the right. Not the fastest grower for sure. 1 7/8" disc for reference.

image.thumb.png.6341de477e5855f20ad53aa8ae0616db.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 5/27/2017 at 8:46 PM, HarryPotter said:

IMG_0009_zpsoohsk9wd.jpg

Woah! What is the name of this and where can I get it? It would look perfect next to my purple and green Tubbs Stellata. 

1 hour ago, discchord said:

Woah! What is the name of this and where can I get it? It would look perfect next to my purple and green Tubbs Stellata. 

It was sold to me as rainbow montipora but has turned mostly purple with yellow & green polyps! You can get it at my place lol unfortunately I don't know where else. 

3 minutes ago, discchord said:

Oh shit! In all seriousness: I hope both you and your Montis are safe from the hurricane. 

Thanks, I am all set. I have a small generator for the tank, a fan, and the refrigerator. Our (very old) home is 9ft above sea level (On a hill), with solid concrete walls- even interior- and shutters over all windows.  If anything the streets may flood but nothing happens here luckily- we may be taking in a few friends to ride it out. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

:o That is EPIC! I was wondering why your FTS looked a bit different. Did you relocate them to a bigger system? 

Yeah I was actually able to get the whole colony out in a single piece. Cut it in half and sold most of it off to make room a bunch of new acros in that corner. I loved the montis (especially that purple) but they were growing way too fast and starting to shade a lot of the corals underneath it. 

2 hours ago, rcar86 said:

How far above the water are you all keepinging your LEDs to get good growth and health? 

6 inches from the water line.