Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish disappears for a week... shows back up with gash in head.

haleschristine

haleschristine

I only use this forum for my reef tank but I am completely confused about one of my freshwater fish. Here's the story... 

2 weekends ago, I went out of town. Left instructions on all my tanks with my roommate. I get home, and all my tanks are good. Except my gourami (aka Gatsby) is missing out of my "OG" tank. First, I am super confused. He is the first fish I bought and has been thriving for awhile, watched this dude grow and his colors get insanely bright. Then I come home and he's just missing. Like twilight zone missing. First few days I figure he's hiding, but he never came out for food (which he always does, he usually begs at the glass when he sees me). After 2 days, I do about a 75% water change. Remove all the decor and he is legit not in the tank. Another 2 days go by, he's still not there-do another huge water change. I go out of town again. I come back today and there he is kinda floating around-not acting like his usual self. And I notice he has a huge gash in his head and swimming funny. 

I have never had to deal to deal with this. Anyone have any ideas on how to care for his head? Or what could have happened? There are no aggressive fish in this tank (mollies and 1 blue ram) and he's the biggest one by far. I'm so utterly confused. 

Again, I know this is a saltwater forum. But I'm not in a freshwater forum and I'm at a loss. Does he need a quarantine tank? 

1 hour ago, haleschristine said:

I only use this forum for my reef tank but I am completely confused about one of my freshwater fish. Here's the story... 

2 weekends ago, I went out of town. Left instructions on all my tanks with my roommate. I get home, and all my tanks are good. Except my gourami (aka Gatsby) is missing out of my "OG" tank. First, I am super confused. He is the first fish I bought and has been thriving for awhile, watched this dude grow and his colors get insanely bright. Then I come home and he's just missing. Like twilight zone missing. First few days I figure he's hiding, but he never came out for food (which he always does, he usually begs at the glass when he sees me). After 2 days, I do about a 75% water change. Remove all the decor and he is legit not in the tank. Another 2 days go by, he's still not there-do another huge water change. I go out of town again. I come back today and there he is kinda floating around-not acting like his usual self. And I notice he has a huge gash in his head and swimming funny. 

I have never had to deal to deal with this. Anyone have any ideas on how to care for his head? Or what could have happened? There are no aggressive fish in this tank (mollies and 1 blue ram) and he's the biggest one by far. I'm so utterly confused. 

Again, I know this is a saltwater forum. But I'm not in a freshwater forum and I'm at a loss. Does he need a quarantine tank? 

Hi there! I have a FW tank as well. I dont have a gourami. I have rasboras but I would think that putting wounded fish in QT and meds for open wounds would probably help any kind of fish. I use Melafix. I got mine at Petco if you have one near by you. Good luck and I hope he recovers quickly