ReefCleaners.org

Flow help for Nuvo 30L

henningero

henningero

Hi all. I have a Nuvo 30L that's been running for a few months now. I still only have 1 coral (a torch), and two small mushrooms. I have 3 fish - Platinum Percula (small), Coral Beauty, and a Solar Wrasse, along with some snails, hermits, and a cleaner shrimp. I can't complain too much about my tank health. I've had pretty stable parameters, no noticable algae issues, and overall healthy inhabitants (knock on wood).

I have two AI Prime HD's, a small skimmer, about 20 lbs. of sand and around 30lbs. of live rock. I run CPB, Carbon, and floss in the IM media basket, have an autoaqua micro ATO, and I run the IM stock pump with split returns.

Here's my question: I run 2 Koralia 425's for flow, located on either end of the 36" long tank. I'd like to get something better, and likely will in the future, but for now, where do you think the best placement is for these two pumps in order to keep particulate suspended until it makes the overflow? I've tried having both low, but they kicked up too much sand, both high, but I had too many dead spots, and one of each, which caused a mini sand storm. Should I move them to the back? Anyone have any ideas from experience?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

IMG_20170522_151618.jpg

• Like 1
Nixperience

That actually looks great! That's where I basically have mine. If you're willing to spend money, mp10 would be best option for upgrade pump. The aqamai kps would be your next best choice at half the price. 

Nice tanks

I personally put my powerheads 1 on each side panel about 2-2.5" below water level.  1 points at the surface, the other straight across.

Getting their paths to cross will cause turbulent flow.

Adding spin streams to your return is another option as well

henningero

Thanks for the compliments on the tank! It's still a little too bare, but I'm taking it really slow with livestock. I'd really like to do a ric garden at some point, and I love LPS, so I'll be adding some soon.

What do you guys think about a gyre pump system on this tank? Would it be overkill? I thought about an mp10, and still may go that route, but for now, I guess I'll keep it as is, and continue blowing off my rock daily line I've been doing.

Thanks for all of the replies!

5 minutes ago, pal said:

Can be kind of loud til they break in . I  can't hear mine at all now. 

Yeah, I think that I may give the spin stream a try. Pretty cheap option, so I guess it couldn't hurt.

19 minutes ago, henningero said:

What do you guys think about a gyre pump system on this tank? 

I have a gyre xf130 in mine. I really like it. I run it at like 30 percent when it is clean. slows down as it gets dirty and I  turn it up . The new controller looks alot nicer than the one I  got.

Nixperience

Right now I run a jebao rw4 on back left aimed towards center of the tank and mp10 on the right close to middle and a nano 240 on the bottom back right behind my mountain. Every time i try to blow off the rocks, there's nothing on them. 

henningero
1 minute ago, Nixperience said:

Right now I run a jebao rw4 on back left aimed towards center of the tank and mp10 on the right close to middle and a nano 240 on the bottom back right behind my mountain. Every time i try to blow off the rocks, there's nothing on them. 

I blow alot of crap off of my rocks daily! I didn't as much when I had the pumps up higher, but then I had to stir up the sand a little everyday, and give it a good vacuuming with my weekly water change. I do feed pretty heavily, though. I change my floss every other day, and it's filled with gunk.

I guess I can't win with just the two pumps that I have. 

27 minutes ago, pal said:

I have a gyre xf130 in mine. I really like it. I run it at like 30 percent when it is clean. slows down as it gets dirty and I  turn it up . The new controller looks alot nicer than the one I  got.

I didn't know that they get less efficient as they get dirty since I've never seen one operating. That's interesting to know. Thanks.

All powerheads and pumps need cleaning to keep them running more efficiently.

Vacuuming sand weekly and stirring it will need to be done regardless of powerheads used or placement.

Nassarius and cerith snails help with sand stirring.

If you have lots of detritus on rocks, then there is a lack of flow to them which is mostly powerhead placement.

I had the spin stream. Does a decent job and gives nice water movement.

They are noisy in the beginning, need vingar cleaning monthly, and cut the flow of the pump do most upgrade the return pumps when using rotators

• Like 1