Innovative Marine Aquariums

Re Thinking my livestock

DAY1995

So I decided that I am going to trade in my Valentini puffer at my lfs. I like him a lot, however I want to make sure all my fish are for sure reef safe for future corals, and I would like to add more critters to my clean up crew with a little peace of mind. 

With that being said, I need a little advice. I'm keeping my clowns I already have and I definitely want a bangii cardnial. For a fourth fish, I can't decide between a royal gamma, a firefish, or a 6 line wrasse. I think I'm leaning towards a firefish but I heard they are timid and hide a lot. What would you guys recommend between these fish? Or maybe even a different fish? It should also be noted I have a 29 gal Biocube. 

Thanks guys!

gone_PHiSHin

i love my TSB.  it's a great fish.  

he'll have a spot in the live rock that is his, that he'll back in to with just his head poking out.  he'll also swim around checking things out and grazing on any algae.  

mine was a little shy at first but now he always comes to the glass to see me whenever i get up close to it.  i like the way they swim, and they have hilarious little faces.  

• Like 2

Haha oh man thats awesome. I love fish with personalities. They graze on algae? That's a plus for sure. I looked them up and they have a ton a color Which I'm looking for more of!!

fishfreak0114

I second the vote for a TSP!  Bernard, my TSB, is super adorable and often swimming around, and totally reef safe!  I've also looked at adding an orchid dottyback, because their color is so stunning.

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

yeah TSBs are algae grazers, they need algae/nori/herbivore food as part of their diet but mine will eat everything.  everything small enough anyways, they have small mouths.

orchid dottybacks are indeed stunning fish, but in my experience they can be bullies.

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

i had a watchman goby and liked it too. although mine wasn't very active aside from taking care of his spot and keeping guard.  

i'd recommend you get one paired with a pistol shrimp though, its an awesome relationship to view in an aquarium

• Like 1

Watchman are cool fish but blennies have more personality and are more active.

Tailspot, bicolor, midas are all very nice blennies

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin
1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Watchman are cool fish but blennies have more personality and are more active.

Tailspot, bicolor, midas are all very nice blennies

agreed!

no tank is 'complete' for me without a blenny.  those 3 are all great fish, not expensive, and common.

i've never owned a midas blenny but i love that fish and will eventually have one once i start my bigger tank.

• Like 1

I dont have a tail spot blenny, but I have a seaweed blenny. He is my first blenny and if all blennies have his personality, you cannot go wrong! 

I have already decided if all blennies are this cool, I will always have a blenny like I will always have clowns! lol

mine will chill on the rock, chill on the sand bed, swim right to the glass when he sees me, and he has only been in captivity for a week or two.

Very social, very bold personality. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, lkoechle said:

I dont have a tail spot blenny, but I have a seaweed blenny. He is my first blenny and if all blennies have his personality, you cannot go wrong! 

I have already decided if all blennies are this cool, I will always have a blenny like I will always have clowns! lol

mine will chill on the rock, chill on the sand bed, swim right to the glass when he sees me, and he has only been in captivity for a week or two.

Very social, very bold personality. 

Mine was like that. Very aware of my presence. It was so cool.

• Like 1

I love my royal gramma he has excellent color, is super interesting to watch, and is very aware of what happens outside the tank. He can be a bit territorial however but only if my clowns get too close to his burrow or invade his personal space. Oh and he also eats NLS pellets like a champ :D

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's responses! It helps a lot with my decision. 

I'm going to check out blennies since the vast majority recommend it. 

• Like 1