Coral Vue Hydros

Best option for biocube 14 water movement

GreatBrothaReef

GreatBrothaReef

Hello all, I have a coralife biocube 14 and im looking into putting some powerheads in it and possible replacing the stock pump.

So far, no one on RC has been able to help me out on suggestions.

I do have a budget I'd like to keep so an mp10 is out of the question for me.

From what I've researched so far, I didn't like going with 2 hydor 240s and a smart wave because the modes are very limited on the smartwave.

I looked into the jeabao line but noticed a high number of verified purchasers complianing about pumps going dead within a few months.

I really liked the tunze nanostream 6040 but I like the idea of having 2 pumps over one. Or would this pump be ok by itself?

I wouldn't mind going with 2 hydro nano 240's but with more controllability than the smartwave provides.

What would you guys do or have you done?

Assuming a mixed reef tank and a budget of $150 or less.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, GreatBrothaReef said:

Hello all, I have a coralife biocube 14 and im looking into putting some powerheads in it and possible replacing the stock pump.

So far, no one on RC has been able to help me out on suggestions.

I do have a budget I'd like to keep so an mp10 is out of the question for me.

From what I've researched so far, I didn't like going with 2 hydor 240s and a smart wave because the modes are very limited on the smartwave.

I looked into the jeabao line but noticed a high number of verified purchasers complianing about pumps going dead within a few months.

I really liked the tunze nanostream 6040 but I like the idea of having 2 pumps over one. Or would this pump be ok by itself?

I wouldn't mind going with 2 hydro nano 240's but with more controllability than the smartwave provides.

What would you guys do or have you done?

Assuming a mixed reef tank and a budget of $150 or less.

Get a Sicce 0.5 pump to replace the stock pump. It has a 5 year warranty and it's pretty solid.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-0-5-185-gph.html

$42.99

Or the Sicce 1.0 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-syncra-silent-1-0-pump-251-gph.html

for $56.99

and two sicce voyager nanos for flow.

has a 3 year warranty and can work with any wave controller you hook to them.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-voyager-nano-250-gph-stream-pump.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9YTJBRD0vKClruOsuOwBEiQAGkQjP--RD3DO7iKPeXYXla2UzWKmyUGQOwC86yoYkm9L5DQaAgd08P8HAQ

$35.99x2

That comes to...

0.5 with 2x nanos (685gph total) bundle $114.97

1.0 with 2 nanos (751 GPH total) bundle $128.97

GreatBrothaReef

Ok. Sounds good. But what about the wavemaker? Any bundles out there?

I really like the idea of being able to have diffrent flow varying throughout the day. What else is out there besides the smartwave?  Or perhaps some type of timer setup.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, GreatBrothaReef said:

Ok. Sounds good. But what about the wavemaker? Any bundles out there?

I really like the idea of being able to have diffrent flow varying throughout the day. What else is out there besides the smartwave?  Or perhaps some type of timer setup.

Sicce has its own wave maker but it's pricy compared to other options that will work just as good.

$114.99

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sicce-wave-surfer-controller.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw9YTJBRD0vKClruOsuOwBEiQAGkQjP-KODwAR6cc4WSjMR63SyWYouyhHMy0Xt7NNNYYDxJwaAmUj8P8HAQ

The Hydor smart wave will work and it's on sale

$47.99

https://www.chewy.com/hydor-smart-wave-aquarium-pump/dp/129940?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Hydor&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9YTJBRD0vKClruOsuOwBEiQAGkQjPwvr5lwNQIZtxzM8aZa3IqIbdcd5J96aI8bG5TikmfAaAj8w8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

GreatBrothaReef

I wasnt fond of the smart wave. Is there a wavemaker that can go from synchronized to alternating through out the day? 

Or a way I can run both pumps for part of the day, to one pump for part of day without having to manually change the mode daily?

12 minutes ago, GreatBrothaReef said:

I wasnt fond of the smart wave. Is there a wavemaker that can go from synchronized to alternating through out the day? 

Or a way I can run both pumps for part of the day, to one pump for part of day without having to manually change the mode daily?

Have them hooked up to a apex.

• Like 1

1 jebao sw-2 will work great in the 14g. 

Comes with controller, many options and powerful.

Better movement than the hydors and its smaller

GreatBrothaReef

Yeah, I looked strongly at the jebao line.

But waaay to many durability compliants from verified customers on Amazon.

What do you all think about the tunze 6040?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GreatBrothaReef said:

Yeah, I looked strongly at the jebao line.

But waaay to many durability compliants from verified customers on Amazon.

What do you all think about the tunze 6040?

I have had 3 Jebao go out on me I have there controllers and powers adapters but the powerhead part always catches fire after about a year.

Believe it or not I have never used a tunze pump but I have never ever heard a bad thing about them nothing but positives from everyone.

GreatBrothaReef

The tunze is a little pricey for me, to still only have 1 powerhead anyway.

Havnt heard much about the sicce but like the fact you say it comes with a 3 year warranty.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, GreatBrothaReef said:

The tunze is a little pricey for me, to still only have 1 powerhead anyway.

Havnt heard much about the sicce but like the fact you say it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Yep the powerheads have a 3 year warranty and the pumps have a 5 year warranty.

fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Addinali said:

I have had 3 Jebao go out on me I have there controllers and powers adapters but the powerhead part always catches fire after about a year.

Wow I must have good luck then, my wp-25 is still going strong after 2+ years with zero issues.

Many have had no issues with jebao.

I've read of ppl having issues with every brand, mp10, tunze, hydor, jebao- theres a story for every one of them.

Its a product, not every one of them is perfect.

Sicce is a good powerhead.

GreatBrothaReef

another thing that made me question Jebao line is when I researched the line, seemed to be a ton of negative feedback on warranty issues and I understand pumps having issues but on Amazon, around 1 out of every 10 verified customers complained of a pump going bad within a relatively short time span. https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-PP-4-530-1000-Wavemaker-Controller/product-reviews/B0192HNEEA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_paging_btm_3?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=3

I understand defects but 10% is too much for my liking, especially when it seems people have hard times getting them warrantied.

It sucks too because seems like the remaining 9 out of 10 buyers had nothing but positive reviews for the pump.

I think I will go the sicce route.  3 year warranty cant beat it. Only 1 year on the tunze. cant seem to find the warranty info on the hydor nano.

Not sure about hydors warranty but I know their customer service isn't great. Emailed them twice regarding my pico ph and a yr later no reply!

I love my sicce powerhead. Very good flow, quiet, easy to clean

GreatBrothaReef

ok,So I made the commitment to get the sicce return and powerhead pumps from brs. since Im ordering, I need to get whatever else I need for the build.

I have Steve LED retrofit LED system with hurricane controller.  I have a marineland 50 watt heater. but was thinking of getting a shatter proof heater.

I also need some
Dry Rock
Dry Sand
Heater
filtration replacement. (I wanted to get everything from BRS but had eye on media basket from In Tank but $50 seems pricey.)

NanoReefer27

I also have a 14g and the koralia nano provides plenty.  I think it is the second least amount of power one.  (Was that proper grammar?  I dunno).  Anyway if you upgrade the return and put two heads in there you are gonna be blasting that thing.  I dont know, it is a pretty small amount of space and in my opinion just one powerhead has worked for me.

GreatBrothaReef
57 minutes ago, NanoReefer27 said:

I also have a 14g and the koralia nano provides plenty.  I think it is the second least amount of power one.  (Was that proper grammar?  I dunno).  Anyway if you upgrade the return and put two heads in there you are gonna be blasting that thing.  I dont know, it is a pretty small amount of space and in my opinion just one powerhead has worked for me.

how many GPH is your Koralia?