Top Shelf Aquatics

ID and treatment on algae/bacteria

gwilly513

In the last year or so a slimy algae or bacteria has developed in my tank will grow everywhere, from the live rock to glass to sand. I had done some reserach earlier and it seemed to be some sort of bacteria, not an algae, but I am still not sure. About 2 months ago I started dosing with Dr Tims Waste Away in the recommended amount and it seemed to help a little, but not get rid of it. I do water changes once every 2 weeks and try to suck out as much of the bacteria as I can. Does anyone have an ID on this stuff and/or recommendations on how to get rid of it?

Tank

20 gallons (8 gallon sub)

Filter reactor with phosban and Hydrocarbon

Aquatic Life Mini Skimmer

Vortech Mp 10

Current USA Orbit Led light

IMG_7659.JPG

IMG_7660.JPG

Oh goodness, this looks so much more snotty/bubbly. See if raising flow will get it to change shape or blow off?

But yes, maybe something along the lines of bacteria or fungus. My issue is exacerbated by air freshener being used in my house, but the nutrients have to be there for the bacteria to take advantage - my rocks are new from the ocean and cycling through the die-off when the issue started. 

In the fusion 20, nutrients were out of whack and I made a drastic drop in alk when I moved the tank. It likely started a small cycle of its own and gave this stuff a chance to take hold for a while. 

• Like 2

Right now I don't have any air fresheners or scented candles, so it must not be that. After looking at it a little more I noticed it grows less in areas of high flow, so I'm planning on adding another small powerhead aimed at the rocks. Another thing I noticed is that it only grows in areas with light (not on the underside of rocks) so I'm wondering if this is algae due to photosynthesis? Any other ideas on what could be causing it? I've had the live rock in there for around 4 years, but could it be something else in the tank?

It does look like it has bubbles under the surface, similar to dinos.. I don't normally think of anything white as photosynthetic, but maybe lights out for a day or two would help? Have you tried basting the rocks?

Yeah just did a water change and basted/sucked some of the stuff off the rocks. I might try lights out for two days and see what happens. 

Check out a product called vibrant aquarium cleaner. Its supposed to be quite remarkable at helping with algaes.

I'd try doing waterchanges weekly.

Have you considered removing the rocks and scrubbing them out of the tank to remove it?

• Like 1