Jump to content
Berlibee

Alexey's Reefer 250 - New Light Installed!

Recommended Posts

Truly stunning photos.  :bowdown:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, samnaz said:

Truly stunning photos.  :bowdown:

 

Thanks a lot! :) 

I've said to Shaun that I'll not add any sps until Christmas ... but he was right, I couldn't resist hahaha :naughtydance::

 

 

WWC_Christmas_Mirabilis.jpg

WWC_Honeycomb.jpg

WWC_Pink_Duster.jpg

WWC_Pink_Panther.jpg

WWC_Plasma.jpg

 

List:

 

WWC Christmas Mirabilis

WWC Honeycomb 

WWC Pink Duster

WWC Pink Panther

WWC Plasma

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Two peppermint shrimps got crazy yesterday and ate my favia .... :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Berlibee said:

Two peppermint shrimps got crazy yesterday and ate my favia .... :blink:

 

Yeah, I don't trust Peppermint Shrimp ever since I caught one right in the middle of eating my Hammer frag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They don't eat the corals in my opinion but if there is food in the corals mouth or just fed they will rip it out causing the coral to stress badly. 

 

Cool deal on the SPS. It never fails saying you won't but you do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

They don't eat the corals in my opinion but if there is food in the corals mouth or just fed they will rip it out causing the coral to stress badly. 

 

Cool deal on the SPS. It never fails saying you won't but you do. 

 

No Man, it was late night no food or anything. Ripping the favia flesh and putting in to the mouth.

Share this post


Link to post

I lost several of my acans because of peppermint shrimp too, not a fun process and those shrimp are now in a tank without corals... I believe it really depends on the shrimp though because I was lucky enough to have one in my classroom tank that took care of the maybe 2 aptasia that were in there at the beginning and then just stayed there not bothering anything. That shrimp is now in my home reef taking care of aptasia and leaving all corals alone.... I don't know how you would tell which ones will go for corals and which won't. 

Sorry you got the ones that started eating them!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I put a fire, skunk, sexy, anemone and pederson shrimp in my tank. I knew it was a mistake the second I did it. I should have only gone with pederson shrimp, which was my initial plan. 

 

Awesome SPS frags! They should color up nicely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry was an acan. :) not a favia.

30 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

I lost several of my acans because of peppermint shrimp too, not a fun process and those shrimp are now in a tank without corals... I believe it really depends on the shrimp though because I was lucky enough to have one in my classroom tank that took care of the maybe 2 aptasia that were in there at the beginning and then just stayed there not bothering anything. That shrimp is now in my home reef taking care of aptasia and leaving all corals alone.... I don't know how you would tell which ones will go for corals and which won't. 

Sorry you got the ones that started eating them!

 

I've got two before as well with no issues. Now these two are in the refugium. :angry:

 

12 minutes ago, MockandRoll said:

I put a fire, skunk, sexy, anemone and pederson shrimp in my tank. I knew it was a mistake the second I did it. I should have only gone with pederson shrimp, which was my initial plan. 

 

Awesome SPS frags! They should color up nicely. 

 

One time a cleaner shrimp killed two sexy shrimps as well ... these shrimps are mean! <_<

Share this post


Link to post

Tank is about 2 months now. No big changes, nutrients levels are very stable with heavy frozen food feeding twice a day. No3: 0( Salifert) / Po4: 0.02 (Hanna).

Current dosing: Two parts Alk. Ca. with doser + Mg. when needed manually. Every morning I add 9ml. of Phyco-Pure Reef Blend mixed with a small amount (tip of the handle of the spoon) of Reef-Roids. This week started 10 drops of Polyp-Booster x2 a week. It's less than half of the recommended dose divided by two days. Added a few new fishes as well, tank looks much more alive now ! In one month will add torches to make things move more. Current view video: omgomgomg:naughtydance:

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Looking good! Love the Fathead Anthias, he's a big guy.

 

11 hours ago, Berlibee said:

P.S: For Shaun, these are NOT purple ugly mushrooms, EPOXY ! :P

So ugly. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, 4x5 said:

Looking good! Love the Fathead Anthias, he's a big guy.

 

So ugly. :D

 

You'll so jelly when zoas cover all this ... :naughtydance:

Share this post


Link to post

Looks great! I really like your SPS selections. I got a pink panther at a local coral show last fall, but it followed the same rules all really expensive corals follow in my tanks, and promptly died. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Looks great! I really like your SPS selections. I got a pink panther at a local coral show last fall, but it followed the same rules all really expensive corals follow in my tanks, and promptly died. :lol:

 

Thanks, I hope this one will not die man. We've only one guy in the area who have it. :blink: You can get super nice deals on eBay auctions if you hunt. Here is a few more that I've added.

 

List:

WWC Castells Banana Table
WWC Frosted Tips

WWC Plam Tree

WWC Yellow Canary Milli 

WWC_Castells_Banana_Table.jpg

WWC_Frosted_Tips.jpg

WWC_Palm_Tree_Acro.jpg

WWC_Yellow_Canary.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Light Update: Finally found a PAR Meter from a local reefer and after checking the numbers I was very surprised ! It was so low ... around 175-200 PAR only. The light was about 12" over the water surface, x4 ATI Bulbs and 6 NanoBox arrays were at 40%. Now the light is at 7" over the water surface and LED are at 80% power, which provide a good 300-350 in the middle of the tank and around 400-450 on the top layers of the water, with a very even distribution on the bottom. Now I'm happy! :naughtydance:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really interested in seeing your PAR results. My fixture with 6x NB arrays is about 4-6" from the water surface with the LEDs peaking as high as 70% at midday. I always expected the PAR to be really high but regardless i've been bumping up a few percent every week or so across every channel. I'll keep bumping up the intensity until the SPS show any signs of distress. I'm currently have some SPS roughly 3/4 the way down the water column and they seem to be doing fine which lead me to think I had quite high PAR already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Looking forward to seeing this! Height has a huge factor in the LED ( no optics ). 

 

Depending on the PAR meter you also need to compensate the % difference. Most PAR readings for the royal - blue spectrum will be incorrect. Apogee wrote a simple compensation for the meters as well. ~8% - 32%. The best way to get extremely accurate readings are doing each channel separate and then adding them all together. 

 

Another factor is surface agitation. If you have the pumps on or off during the readings. 

 

As well there are some great articles out there saying anything over  300 PAR is not doing anything else for the corals. In some cases even slowing some growth! An average of 250-300 PAR for acros evenly works wonders and less as the tank goes down. 

 

Hope this helps in anyway! 

-D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, for the details @DaveFason ;) Yes, I've read it as well but not sure it's true as well, in the ocean they have much higher PAR no? But my plan was to keep acros around 300-350 anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Berlibee said:

Thank you, for the details @DaveFason ;) Yes, I've read it as well but not sure it's true as well, in the ocean they have much higher PAR no? But my plan was to keep acros around 300-350 anyway. 

Of course! Also our lights push different focused spectrums than your average sunlight. And a hole other magnitude of factors that we can not replicate in our tanks. 

 

A good 300-350 spread PAR is pretty damn perfect. 

 

-Dave

Share this post


Link to post

Here is more info as promised. :naughtydance: These are the readings at the main max light period during the day. I'm not using the white channel in the LEDs. I run x2 Blue+, x1 Purple+, x1 Coral+ bulbs. LEDs settings are 80% all channels, 0% white channel. 4 Bulbs, 6 arrays. 12 hours total, 2h rump up and 2h down at the end of the day. Sure all the readings are like +- 50 PAR but it's more than enough to get the idea about your light, measured with flow ON, fixture 6.5" over the water surface:

 

 

NanoBox_PAR.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, RollaJase said:

Nice results, thanks for sharing!

 

No problems! ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions

×