Pod Your Reef

Coral info

Oilers71

I'm getting ready to cycle my first reef tank. It's a 29 gallon biocube. I've had freshwater aquariums for a long time but this is my first reef tank. Can someone recommend a good website on coral. I want to start Learning more about corals while I'm waiting for the cycle to complete. 

:welcome:

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend watching some or the bulk of this YouTube video series:

52 Weeks of Reefing

The coral ones are #35-38, but if this is your first reef tank I think there's value in starting from the beginning as they tend to build on each other and make sense chronologically.

Once you're ready to purchase, there are some websites like this one that have corals grouped into a few categories-- the beginner section would definitely be up your alley.  You can also sort and filter by difficulty, lighting requirements, reef compatability, etc. 

The skinny is that you'll probably want to start with soft corals which tend to be hardy, among the most forgiving, have generally less lighting/ flow requirements, generally 100% photosynthetic and don't need supplemental food...you get the point.  LPS can be a little more difficult, and finally SPS which most would recommend for experienced reefers with parameter-stable, and preferably well-established systems.  There are always exceptions of course but overall those are kinda the three main groups the hobby uses to categorize corals.

Good luck!  Take it slow, research everything that goes into the tank (before you buy), and ask for help!

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin

^great post!

welcome to NR Oilers71.   you have the right attitude so far, research research research BEFORE you make any decisions/purchases. 

• Like 1

Welcome

Reefbuilders.com

animal-world.com

Liveaquaria.com

Are good sources of info.

I would also research water chemistry and lighting as both are very important for corals.

Soft corals are the easiest to keep

Lps is fairly easy but they consume alk and ca so understanding how to maintain those are important.

Sps is the hardest to keep for various reasons.

Btw are you in Edmonton?

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the tank. I'm not sure exactly how long it will take to spike but I already have ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings

IMG_1040.JPG