Top Shelf Aquatics

Instant Ocean parameters

jeffmr4

I recently got some new Instant Ocean salt and didn't find a lot of information online about what it tests out at so I mixed up a batch and this is what I got,

1.026 or 35 ppt  Ph 8.2 - 8.4, Ca 440, Alk 11, Mg 1140

The magnesium seems very low. (I tested it twice)  If anyone else mixes up a batch and tests for magnesium, let me know what you get (or what you get from for everything)!  These readings might not always be the same from bag to bag but I thought it would be good to put this out there.

(a week later)

It sounds like from what I've read IO is notroriously low for magnesium.  I retested after a week with the same water mixing in a mostly closed container with a heater and these are the results,

I had to add a little top of water because some had evaporated which could have accounted for some of the drops,

1.026, ph 8.1-8.2, kh 10-11, ca 420, mg 1130

Edited by jeffmr4

Dont quote me, as I am brand new to the hobby. But I enjoy reading and read a lot. 

I read somewhere that magnesium tends to settle out in salt mixes, and stirring the mix prior to scooping for your water will help ensure even distribution. 

Don't know if it will help you, just thought I'd share.?

My numbers are much lower. I was just coming to ask the same sort of question. I mixed 5 gallons and got these numbers:

dKh.  5.2

Ca.    300

Mg.   800

Ph.    8.3

Something doesn't seem to be going right for my testing.

Edit: not the reef crystals. Regular Instant Ocean. Its a brand new tank.

Edited by JDSquared
More info
1 minute ago, jeffmr4 said:

Plain Instant Ocean.

I'm thinking of switching to red sea plain although I like fritz's alk level better than red sea's.

@JDSquared What's your salinity level?

Salinity was mixed to 1.025. Tank was at 1.024. Still is.

I haven't tested the tank since i added the new sw.

HarryPotter
50 minutes ago, braaap said:

Just buy Fritz RPM. Never have poor levels again. Problem solved.

RSCP ??  More instability with alk swings leads to hardier corals! 

• Like 1

I've been usng IO reef crystals and haven't actually tested all the levels on a fresh water mix before adding to my tank, just salinity.  However, testing after a water change yielded these results:

Salinity - 1.026

Ca - 480

Mg - 1600

dKh - 9.8

pH - 8.2

I've found that these levels have been fairly consistent across mixes with slight deviations of Ca and Mg. However, following the instructions provided for mixing yields a salinity of only 1.022 - 1.023.  I always have to add more mix than the instructions call for to get the salinity up to 1.025 - 1.026.  I'd also like the Alk to mix a little lower to around 8.5 since it seems to rise fairly quickly in my tank. I tested my water three days after this weeks water change and Alk was already up to 11.5.  I suppose its possible that it didnt mix as low as normal due to inconsistencies with the mix.  Will have to test the parameters of the freshly mixed water before adding it to my tank tomorrow.   

I'll likely be switching salt mixes once this bag of Reef Crystals is used up just to ensure more consistency.  Been looking at Fritz RPM.

14 hours ago, TheBig053 said:

I've been usng IO reef crystals and haven't actually tested all the levels on a fresh water mix before adding to my tank, just salinity.  However, testing after a water change yielded these results:

Salinity - 1.026

Ca - 480

Mg - 1600

dKh - 9.8

pH - 8.2

I've found that these levels have been fairly consistent across mixes with slight deviations of Ca and Mg. However, following the instructions provided for mixing yields a salinity of only 1.022 - 1.023.  I always have to add more mix than the instructions call for to get the salinity up to 1.025 - 1.026.  I'd also like the Alk to mix a little lower to around 8.5 since it seems to rise fairly quickly in my tank. I tested my water three days after this weeks water change and Alk was already up to 11.5.  I suppose its possible that it didnt mix as low as normal due to inconsistencies with the mix.  Will have to test the parameters of the freshly mixed water before adding it to my tank tomorrow.   

I'll likely be switching salt mixes once this bag of Reef Crystals is used up just to ensure more consistency.  Been looking at Fritz RPM.

Get Fritz. I've used almost every salt available. Fritz mixes to what it says it will every time. Mixes crystal clear in minute and doesn't leave a film on the buckets.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, braaap said:

Get Fritz. I've used almost every salt available. Fritz mixes to what it says it will every time. Mixes crystal clear in minute and doesn't leave a film on the buckets.

Well that settles it. Order placed!

• Like 1
On 5/19/2017 at 11:16 PM, HarryPotter said:

RSCP ??  More instability with alk swings leads to hardier corals! 

Harry! This is horrible advice. People might believe you. Instability in general isn't good for corals and there's no backup to show that instability with alk makes hardier corals. 

18 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Harry! This is horrible advice. People might believe you. Instability in general isn't good for corals and there's no backup to show that instability with alk makes hardier corals. 

Hasn't anyone on this site ever heard of the sarcasm font????? /s

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Hasn't anyone on this site ever heard of the sarcasm font????? /s

:lol: that's what is needed because I am 99% certain Harry is joking but others might not realize it.

HarryPotter
6 hours ago, stellablue said:

:lol: that's what is needed because I am 99% certain Harry is joking but others might not realize it.

? sorry next time ill put even more emojis! 

• Like 2

I once used Io and Io reef crystals. It was inconsistent and mag constantly low.

I like aquaforest. Consistent numbers, each box has a report of the parameters in that batch.

You will not find a perfect salt but choosing consistent and stable is the best

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:14 PM, braaap said:

Whats your mixing procedure for Fritz?  I just made up 10g using it and tested at 7.8 alk, 475 calcium.  

My procedure is is as follows:

10g RODI at about 68F

add in 1 cup every 10 minutes

at 35ppt add heater

test and do my change.

i would love to keep my tank at 8.5/420 built not sure I have ever had this salt mix up like that.  Do you stir up the bag?  I tried to use an instant ocean bucket but it won't fit.  So I am kind of stumped.