inTank Media Baskets

Baby Rock Flowers!

reefhound

I have 3 rock flowers in my tank,, last night I noticed a bunch of flashy orange and yellow specs, got out the loups :)

I collected over 20 from the sand and put them in a tray, and can count at least 10 more. I know there are probably another 10 I won't find for quite some time!

IMG_0540.JPG

• Like 12

lol, I've had these forever!.. now, if one of the other 2 is a female... one can hope.

counting 32 in the tray now.. more will show themselves too i'm sure

• Like 2

I know right? I've had a lot go wrong with this tank, but one I simplified everything as much as possible, it is doing extremely well

I have phyto,  nutramar ova, rottifers, R.O.E, and a ton of copepods in the tank.. I can spot feed a lot easier with them in the tray

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

So lucky! "Keep it simple stupid" one of the best rules to reef by :)

One of the best rules to live by! FTFY

Very cool on the baby RFAs.  What're you gonna do with them?  New RFA dominated tank?

• Like 1

ok, i'm up to a 61 count on these guys.

most are colored red or yellow so far, and i'm thinking a week old. from the little info I can find, it's rare to have so many from one rock, and rare to have them colored so soon.

I have 2 more rock flowers on the way, and i'm clearing out the tank to get two more from the lfs. this leads me to believe I MAY have a serious problem.

this will give me 7 adults total.

so, i'm looking for a frag tank.

ok, there a 2 things that happened before the birth. I feed them a variety. I put in a kessil A160 on a controller. I raised the temp 2 degrees to 76

• Like 2

flower tank: 24x24 6" or 8" high.

return pump eheim 600 with a loc-line spray bar

Kessil A80

9001 skimmer

smart ATO

will do an egg crate bottom filled with coarse crushed coral.. virtually no biological filtration

thoughts welcome, there are more knowledgeable ppl than me.

• Like 1

most are at 12 tentacles now.. they grow and open up pretty quickly. i'm feeding 2-3 times a day, but for future reference, I wish I knew exactly when they were born

I traded a bunch of corals in for two more RFA's will post pics when they aren't so mad at me.

both just came in from a failing nasty tank, I had to get one off the rock by drilling holes around it and popping off a chunk rock that was covered in slime

IMG_0544.JPG

I had fragged a bunch of corals out to move them around the tank.. saw the baby RFA's and realized the isn't a choice anymore... i'm having a flower garden

traded the corals in

• Like 4

well, I come home for lunch..

today I saw her give birth to 13-15 or so more..

scrambled to get them into the tray.

they are as big, or slightly bigger as the others, but have a lot more color.

so, that's about 85 from one flower,,

also, I should probably add, mine are just under 2" wide on a good day

also, I have only 5 or so babys without color.. I hope they turn gold eventually

they are now between 2-4mm

• Like 3

got a few more tonight.. oddly, all the new ones have bright white tentacles... I wonder now if the offspring from the two different males in the lank develop at different rates.

also, the female started eating again before birthing the new ones.

i'm hoping I have another "event" around the 20th

I started cycling a new grow out tank tonight, will post pics in a new thread tomorrow

IMG_0596.JPG

• Like 3