Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

birdsnest frag dead?

Jose.H11

So I ordered a birds nest frag online, I acclimated it for about an hour then moved it into the display, but as this is my first SPS I'm not sure if its survived shipping. Any help would be great

I tested the water and is as follows:

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 2

Ammonia - 0

calcium - 455

Alk - 10

pH - 8.0

Thanks, Jose

IMG_20170518_164430.jpg

IMG_20170518_164435.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Looks good to me! Probably stressed from the long acclamation. Float the bag for ten minutes, remove from the bag and place in qt and then discard bagged water. Never lost a coral this way! 

2 minutes ago, gulfsurfer101 said:

Looks good to me! Probably stressed from the long acclamation. Float the bag for ten minutes, remove from the bag and place in qt and then discard bagged water. Never lost a coral this way! 

Thanks for the quick reply, was a bit scared tbh when it came out like this. I knew they get stresses just never knew what it should look like - As long as it looks good to you I'm pretty happy. Thanks again, Jose

gulfsurfer101

I wouldn't say it looks too good. It's not dead however as you can see the polyps are still attached. However it looks like it was freshly cut near the base. Was that from shipping. Did a few pieces break off in transit or was it like that when you bought it? 

9 minutes ago, gulfsurfer101 said:

I wouldn't say it looks too good. It's not dead however as you can see the polyps are still attached. However it looks like it was freshly cut near the base. Was that from shipping. Did a few pieces break off in transit or was it like that when you bought it? 

It came like that from shipping, with no pieces having been snapped off. maybe from where the seller fragged another piece from it? 

Yep agree with gulf - looks like it expelled its zoo during shipping - keep it in lower light and let it acclimate to your tank. Also agree - no need to acclimate coral for an hour. I temp acclimate, dip then rinse and put in the tank. 

Does look like a fresh cut which probably added to the stress 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, stellablue said:

Yep agree with gulf - looks like it expelled its zoo during shipping - keep it in lower light and let it acclimate to your tank. Also agree - no need to acclimate coral for an hour. I temp acclimate, dip then rinse and put in the tank. 

Does look like a fresh cut which probably added to the stress 

Thank you @stellablue, next time I'll do the temp acclimation next time for ten mins - didn't really have much of an idea, just went off a few videos and guides. I'll move it lower down the tank as well then to try and help it :) 

• Like 1
gulfsurfer101

Best of luck to you buddy. Stellablue gave you some great info. It's 50/50 at this point. The rest is on you. Don't disturb it too much, make sure your water paramters are good and stable most importantly. 

• Like 2
gulfsurfer101

If that was shipped to you that way you might want to get with the vendor. I doubt it makes it overnight. 

Just now, gulfsurfer101 said:

If that was shipped to you that way you might want to get with the vendor. I doubt it makes it overnight. 

We'll just have to wait and see - I'll contact the vendor and go from there. Thanks for the help. 

Improvement with sps - or really any coral takes much longer than a few hours. It can take weeks to start seeing improvement. If the flesh is peeling, I'd say there's not much chance. Most vendors require you to contact them within two hours to get any sort of refund. Check the arrive Alive guarantee with your vendor and I would reach out asap. 

• Like 1

And also I forgot to mention the water and tub it came in absolutely ####ing stunk. Like knocked me out bad. Maybe it was out before it even arrived?

So Just finished up with the seller, he's offered a refund for the coral even though I was outside the 2 hours of DOA terms. Such a good seller, and person. Just a shame the coral didn't make it, all of his stock looks great and it seems this was one of his first DOA he's had. 

• Like 1

Its not necessarily dead. Its lacking colour but birdsnest takes time to acclimate and if freshly fragged its even going to take longer.

You can still see polyps there. I've brought back a half dead pocillopora. 

Give it time

Ok, so I left it overnight to see how it would do and it looks like one side is almost completely bleached out, while the other seems to be hanging in. I'm really confused. 

IMG_20170519_133837.jpg

IMG_20170519_133845.jpg

IMG_20170519_133853.jpg

Just leave it be. There are polyps so maybe it will come back. Put it in low light. It will need rock solid parameters to have half a chance. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stellablue said:

Put it in low light. 

Yep, low light will help a bit.

It kind of looks like it's getting blasted with light. What light do you have over the tank? It could just be the angle or camera... 

• Like 1

Thats sps. They can be great forever and go downhill in 24hrs.

I had a stylophora which was great and in 24hrs polyps closed and it started going white. Completely gone within 4 days.

No changes, no param issues.

Thats why sps can be very difficult to keep because sometimes you can't figure out the cause of demise

3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Yep, low light will help a bit.

It kind of looks like it's getting blasted with light. What light do you have over the tank? It could just be the angle or camera... 

I have a TMC 500 led tile, but the blinds were open and light on just for the photo. Usually have them closed most the time. 

• Like 1