inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 32 (LED) vs JBJ 28?

Stockwell85

Stockwell85

Hello, sorry to belabor the question I have seen asked often, but I'd like to nuance it.  What are user/expert opinions on the Biocube 32 LED vs the JBJ 28 with the intermediate light set up (seem to be comparable specs and pricing).  It seems both are rated for medium to low light requiring inverts.  I understand that the 4 gallon difference in the biocube may be a big deal to some (represents a 14% increase in water capacity over the JBJ).  Truth is, I want to run either one stock with minor modifications (no light mods or sump drilling) and (after thorough cycling and stable parameters) keep a low light (if there is such a thing?) anemone and clown pair, which I know is cliché, but its what the family wants.  So in summation: 

1. Which system is better/will meet my needs based on desired stocking and require little to no mods?

2. Is there such a thing as a medium to low light anemone that will do well in either tank with stock lighting?  

Thank you any/everyone who responds :)

Sammaredsox

I have a biocube 29 that I run topless with a Coralife t5 high output light.  I have a pair of Wyoming white clowns and a Red Sea mis bar.  For an anemone, I have a condy and it does great on top of my rock work.  Here is a bad pic from the side.  Will try to take a few shots of it later when I get home.  It has been a breeze to run and pretty hands off.

IMG_1570.PNG

I would imagine you can keep a rose bubble tip anemone in those tanks under stock lighting. I have a RBTA thats been in my tank for about a year and it actually lived in the BC29 under stock lights for about 3 months before I ended up upgrading. It always looked pretty good and bubbled up. It did hang out directly under the lights kind of in the middle of the tank depth wise.

I upgraded with Steve's LED 14k retro and now that I have SPS I run the lights 100% blue and 55% white, it moved off to the side and down some and is also shaded by 2 large torch colonies.

It didnt really grow much under the stock light but blew up once I added the LEDs. Idiot me one day I decided to move some rocks around and wasnt paying too close attention and was wiggling this one rock which in turned dislodged the rock the nem was attached to and ended up fragging the nem. Luckily for me (trust me I freaked out and was scared it was going to nuke the tank) but now I have a fairly large one and a smaller one. My 2 clowns never pay them any attention though, even a year later.

So, that being said, if you go with an RBTA research what clowns it will naturally host if you like that. I think Maroons do but damn they are mean!

Good luck!

Stockwell85

Thanks Sammaredsox for the post and pic.  So I'm understanding you correctly, you had to upgrade the lighting to keep the anemone?  But yours wasn't the Biocube LED version?  

Stockwell85

Thanks Jslater, I appreciate the reply.  I think I see myself upgrading to the Steve retrofit at some point, but as a beginner I don't think I would go there right away.  Do you know what soft corals would do well inder the stock LEDs on the 32 and also not be destroyed by a roaming anemone?  Or am I just trying too much in a small tank...

Sammaredsox
1 hour ago, Stockwell85 said:

Thanks Sammaredsox for the post and pic.  So I'm understanding you correctly, you had to upgrade the lighting to keep the anemone?  But yours wasn't the Biocube LED version?  

Well, the top that came with mine (used) was hacked up so I bought the light to replace it. I was going to ditch the lid anyway as I heard (here in TX) that it could cause temp issues.  I got the light second hand but for a good price.  I had the condy with the old lid and lights and he did fine.  One thing with the condy though. they are pretty but pack a good sting. 

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

Stockwell85

Great pics Sam, after thinking about it, I've decided that I'm just going to drill my 36 gallon bowfront and build my own system with a sump.  I feel like I will have more control of the specs and that I won't be wasting what I already have.  Thank you, all of you for your replies and attention.

that sounds like a really good idea..   I'm still learning a lot about saltwater, but you could possibly get a decent size sump for that tank that could also work with a larger (upgrade if you want to) down the road.      I have a 32g biocube led and stand on layaway at a lfs, and thinking about asking what would it cost for me to do 40b with stand and sump, then get a nice light later on.