ReefCleaners.org

2.5g Reef Islands - a Study in Scale

Sandeep

Latest FTS, March 21, 2018, tank is now 1 year old

reef_25g_20180321_2.jpg

======Original Post ======

I’m really happy to return to the pico reef forum to share with you my latest tank.

reef_25g_20170517_2.jpg

The objective of this tank design was to really focus on the use of scale and perspective in aquascaping. I wanted to challenge myself to create the biggest looking tank in the smallest sized aquarium I could. I picked a standard 2.5g glass aquarium as I like how its aspect ratio mimics a large aquarium, complete with its framed rims just like large tanks have.

Looking at this photo, I would swear I’m looking at a 30g or 50g aquarium.
reef_25g_20170517_1.jpg

The Coke can now shows the reality of just how ‘big’ this tank really is.
reef_25g_20170517_3.jpg

The tank has been running for just over two months. Here is a tour of various parts of the reef:

reef_25g_20170517_4.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_5.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_6.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_7.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_8.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_9.jpg

Azure Damsel
reef_25g_20170517_10.jpg

Dendros
reef_25g_20170517_11.jpg

reef_25g_20170517_12.jpg

Micro Elegance frag
reef_25g_20170517_13.jpg

I hope this tank really inspires folks on how to use scale creatively with small aquariums.

Happy reefing!

• Like 19
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's so cute!  Great job as always!

What's the orangey-clear thing on the sandbed, is that a dendro?

Yes thats a dendro head.

• Like 1

Love it :-) . I like the empty spaces

I am wondering if its too early for the Elegance..but cant be sure, i never kept them, just heard they are hard to keep 

HammerLover

Wowzers Sandeep! Your 5 gal AIO has inspired me to start one and Im so happy to see you starting again a pico! Cant wait for this to progress and grow. Im sure it would look just as awesome like your other setups

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Welcome back !!! I love the coral selection so far. The color of that light is so crisp,who makes it ? 

Good to be back and hang out with my pico friends with a new build!

The light is a Coralcompulsion Par30 18K Reef Vibrance LED bulb in a $18 Staples lamp arm. I completely removed the optics and front plate on the bulb so its just bare LED's.

• Like 2

So how true to color are the pictures compared to real life ? Im loving the color it outs off if its close to that in person. 

• 2 weeks later...
Simulated Fish
57 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Sandeep, I love this! 

question about the lamp. what was the reason for removing the covers and lenses? 

Light spread and defusion preference, it doesn't change much but it alters how the light hits the tank such as the angle. It can also help remove the "disco" effect.

On 6/8/2017 at 4:04 PM, Reefkid88 said:

So how true to color are the pictures compared to real life ? Im loving the color it outs off if its close to that in person. 

Pretty close, the coralcompulsion Par30 18K is a nice bulb.

On 6/17/2017 at 11:42 PM, Friendly said:

Sandeep, I love this! 

question about the lamp. what was the reason for removing the covers and lenses? 

I was using the lamp previously on a 10g, removing the optics and front face gives the light wider dispersion and better color mixing. Optics come into play with deeper and larger tanks.

hello Sandeep...a few more questions for you. :) 

how well does a HOB filter work for a marine setup? 

use anything special for filter media? 

how did you figure out that light would be okay for such a small tank? I've read about lights that are too bright upsetting the coral.

• Like 1
On 2017-06-21 at 7:52 PM, Friendly said:

hello Sandeep...a few more questions for you. :) 

how well does a HOB filter work for a marine setup? 

use anything special for filter media? 

how did you figure out that light would be okay for such a small tank? I've read about lights that are too bright upsetting the coral.

I'm a big fan of hob filters in reef tanks for circulation and filtration. I have an AC30 on my 2.5g reef, a AC50 on my 10g reef and a AC70 on my 50g reef.

In terms of filtration, you don't want to strip the water of nutrients, so I pretty much just use the stock sponges in the filters. Once in awhile I might use a bag of reef carbon and run it for a few days, but never longer. Folks get so obsessed with removing everything from the water (protien skimmers, etc.) that you end up with nutrient poor water.

I came upon this conclusion by observing that many times my corals thrived and grew the most during periods of tank neglect when I did not clean the filters or do a water change when I was supposed to. Something to think about.

In terms of small reef tanks, if you stick to a par30 bulb which has 7 or less led's you should be good with the office lamp stand like I have. You can move it up or down to adjust the dispersion of light. I would avoid the par38 bulbs which have like 12 leds, overkill for a small tank. I have never had any corals bleach out. Most of the time I remove the optics on my bulbs and just run the led's bare. Sure it creates a lot of light spillage around the tank in your room, but it also diffuses and mixes the light nicely. Again optics really come into play with bigger tanks as they are needed to help the light penetrate, with shallow small tanks, this is never an issue.

• Like 2

very cool, thanks Sandeep.

I'm guessing too that the movement caused by the outlet flow of the filter removes the need to have any sort of power head? 

and on the side, at what point do you need to use/have an actinic light for corals? the Vibrance Reef you have has enough blue in it to promote coral growth? 

edit - actually, I'm also curious to know what kind of livestock you would put in such a small tank? 1" per gallon doesn't give you much leeway in a 2.5 gallon tank. think it could manage a goby & pistol shrimp? :unsure:

On 6/23/2017 at 8:37 PM, Friendly said:

very cool, thanks Sandeep.

I'm guessing too that the movement caused by the outlet flow of the filter removes the need to have any sort of power head? 

and on the side, at what point do you need to use/have an actinic light for corals? the Vibrance Reef you have has enough blue in it to promote coral growth? 

edit - actually, I'm also curious to know what kind of livestock you would put in such a small tank? 1" per gallon doesn't give you much leeway in a 2.5 gallon tank. think it could manage a goby & pistol shrimp? :unsure:

Yes, movement of AC30 is more than enough for a 2.5g tank. In fact I have the flow on the AC30 turned all the way down to minimum because its that strong.

Most LED's for reef tanks have enough of the blue spectrum (blue and deep blue LED's) for photosynthesis. Try to go for 'full spectrum' reef led bulbs, these contain a number of different wavelengths optimized for reef coral growth. No need to buy separate actinics like in the fluorescent tube days.

A small goby and pistol shrimp will work. I'm pushing it with my damsel (he's very small), but the tank would be too small for a clown for example. Those 1" per gallon rules are too crude, forget about them.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

Hi, I think your tank is beautiful. I just started a tetra 3 gallon cube and your info has been very helpful. Thank you for sharing. Now I am wondering for your filter did you do any DIY or MOD on it, I think that is what it is called. The AC30 filter. Did you change it. Also big thank you for the lighting info, I was not sure what size to use or the type, your coral color is great. Thanks again !!!!  

Oh yes, the type of sand bed you are using......very pretty......everything is so nice.

Edited by cfaye@Delaware
forgot info