SaltCritters.com

Goby's that eat algae

Myles O'leary

Myles O'leary

Hi, I had a question about gobys. I was wondering what gobys ate all kinds of protein and algae and would be compatible with two clownfish, a tricolor fairy wrasse, a pyjama cardinal, a fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp and it's a 29 gallon biocube, thanks.

20 minutes ago, Myles O'leary said:

Hi, I had a question about gobys. I was wondering what gobys ate all kinds of protein and algae and would be compatible with two clownfish, a tricolor fairy wrasse, a pyjama cardinal, a fire shrimp and a peppermint shrimp and it's a 29 gallon biocube, thanks.

hi there! Liveaquaria has a compatibility chart. here's the link

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=21

I'm looking into getting a Hector goby myself. I like how it looks. I won't be getting him for awhile tho

• Like 1

Gobies aren't much for algae, most eat meaty foods or microfauna.

Blennies eat algae. Bicolor would be good.

Tailspots are cool but not with anything aggressive. They are more passive and tiny.

• Like 1
Myles O'leary
9 hours ago, FollyFish said:

I don't know about gobies but a tail-spot blenny would do fine in that tank and is omnivorous.

Ok thanks

9 hours ago, Minmay said:

hi there! Liveaquaria has a compatibility chart. here's the link

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=21

I'm looking into getting a Hector goby myself. I like how it looks. I won't be getting him for awhile tho

Thanks I will look at it

• Like 1
Myles O'leary
6 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Gobies aren't much for algae, most eat meaty foods or microfauna.

Blennies eat algae. Bicolor would be good.

Tailspots are cool but not with anything aggressive. They are more passive and tiny.

Thanks I will look at blennies

44 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Lawnmower blennies are great for algae. Only problem is when you run out of algae they have been known to nip and irritate coral.

Ok I will see about that

• Like 1
GregEmmitte

Just bear in mind that if you're solving a biological problem with a biological solution ( best way to go imho) you have to be able to continuously support the biological solution. Meaning should you get rid of all your algae, your algae eater will run out of food. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, GregEmmitte said:

Just bear in mind that if you're solving a biological problem with a biological solution ( best way to go imho) you have to be able to continuously support the biological solution. Meaning should you get rid of all your algae, your algae eater will run out of food. 

Very true. Then you have to provide a source of food for them as they need the algae in their diet.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
3 minutes ago, Myles O'leary said:

when that does happen what kinds of food should I offer?

Any food that has a high vegetable matter component (Spirulina enriched Brine Shrimp, veggie flakes, veggie frozen, etc.).

A '2 spot blenny' is another option for a small tank since they max out at around 2".  Mine likes soft foods like cyano and the algae film that grows on the back wall, but will also take regular fish foods.

You can get a clip for nori strips, alot of livestock enjoys it but you don't want yo leave uneaten portions in the tank.

Colbalt makes mysis and spirulina flake food

Myles O'leary
40 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You can get a clip for nori strips, alot of livestock enjoys it but you don't want yo leave uneaten portions in the tank.

Colbalt makes mysis and spirulina flake food

Thank you I will try that

Nixperience

My starry blenny is awesome. He really only eats diatoms if they're present. Otherwise, he eats flakes everyone else eats. 

• Like 2

Our Starry is also quite awesome :P He devours algae if it's there, otherwise he eats anything I put in the tank...  I feed a mix of frozen mysis and spirulina, so I hope he's getting a good diet...  I also find a blenny's movement around the tank and mannerisms some of the most interesting.

Nixperience
17 minutes ago, moosubi said:

Our Starry is also quite awesome :P He devours algae if it's there, otherwise he eats anything I put in the tank...  I feed a mix of frozen mysis and spirulina, so I hope he's getting a good diet...  I also find a blenny's movement around the tank and mannerisms some of the most interesting.

It's like swimming with a sleeping bag on. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

It's like swimming with a sleeping bag on. 

Lol, right?  Ours just perches on the top of the rock and watches the clowns swim above him.  And when the hermit crab goes up on the rocks, he gets a free shell cleaning.  Sometimes enough to knock him right off...  He's my fave fish :)

• 2 weeks later...
StinkyBunny

Bullet gobies as well as Rainford's gobies will eat algae. I get the Bullet gobies in all the time from Fiji and they will decimate hair algae in a week or so.